Billboard and Vibe Magazine Top 50 Rappers of all time! #1 Jay-z #2 Kendrick #3 Nas

Daps
Reppin
Chi
He has same amount of albums though
I love Pun, but cmon...

Biggie gave Pun the lane, there's no Pun w/o Big giving him the whole Mafioso, crime boss, fat playa lane. Not to mention Ready to Die had about 100x the impact that Capital Punisment had...

Daps
Reppin
Chi
I can't be the only one that doesn't give 2 fukks about Missy Elliot...idk how she's always ranked on these lists...same with Kim and Nicki...I guess Nicki charted and Kim laid the groundwork for female rappers (who really gaf?), but their work is all trash.

Illmagic

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You can't see it because you don't appreciate what Mossy brought to the table and no none is saying you have to. Missy isn't only there for sales. Anybody who has followed her career wouldn't even ask that question. Nearly EVERY album Missy dropped was critically acclaimed. Missy actually is an impactful and influential artist in Hip Hop from the music to the videos.
Im not saying she shouldn't be on the list nor am I saying she shouldn't be rated where shes at based on how they are doing this. Im just saying clearly they are weighting certain factors more then others. Missy wouldn't be in my top 100 personally cause she wasn't anywhere close to a good rapper. The sales and impact are undeniable though. If weighing is equally it would be tough to be top 20 when the lyrics department is so lacking.

Sock it to me was the ish though :blessed:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Not in the top 10, but a top 50 list without names like Prodigy, GZA, Raekwon, etc. is pretty wild...Especially considering each have classic material + 20+ years in the game. Ludacris? cmon now :mjlol:
20 years in the game is a Jay or Nas or LL or Wayne who were still charting 20 years deep into their career. nikkas releasing albums to silence don't count. The closest you named to 20 years of relevance was Rae after OBCL2 got a decent amount of acclaim.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I can't be the only one that doesn't give 2 fukks about Missy Elliot...idk how she's always ranked on these lists...same with Kim and Nicki...I guess Nicki charted and Kim laid the groundwork for female rappers (who really gaf?), but their work is all trash.
kinda how i feel about your rants about wu tang members outside of ghost...them dudes had a hot solo in the 90's, they aint impact the game beyond that.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
kinda how i feel about your rants about wu tang members outside of ghost...them dudes had a hot solo in the 90's, they aint impact the game beyond that.
Fair...I'll agree Wu's influence is more limited to the underground, and east coast, and outside of artists like Alchemist, Griselda, etc. is largely lost in today's Hip-Pop scene.

As a group the impact was obviously huge, bringing the east coast back into the picture, not doing it with any poppy or west coast sounding beats (a la Juicy)

While he didn't invent Mafioso Rap, Raekwon popularized it and set a huge trend with OB4CL, still in affect today (Drake "Mob Ties," et al)...as well as the whole 'cinematic'/crime flick approach to an album, dudes having alter-ego crime boss names.

RZA was probably the most influential producer in rap in the 90s, not named Dr. Dre, and he influenced huge acts today (Kanye).

My statement wasn't meant to single out female emcees, either. I think Lauryn Hill is underrated as an emcee, she also paved the way for female emcees, probably moreso than anyone else, she could actually spit, wrote her own ish, and did it w/o having to resort to oversexualization like Kim.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't ever recall Missy having a huge impact in the 90s or early 2000s when she was poppin...I'll happily admit to being wrong if there's something I'm leaving out. At the time of release, I don't remember any of her projects having hype, selling crazy, or being impactful.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't ever recall Missy having a huge impact in the 90s or early 2000s when she was poppin...I'll happily admit to being wrong if there's something I'm leaving out. At the time of release, I don't remember any of her projects having hype, selling crazy, or being impactful.
that's wild then because missy's albums and songs were everywhere and she was on a huge producing and writing run (tho for r&b)

Daps
Reppin
Chi
that's wild then because missy's albums and songs were everywhere and she was on a huge producing and writing run (tho for r&b)
I'll have to revisit some, I'm not being facetious, just having a hard time remembering her run in the early 2000s song for song outside of the obvious "Work It" and "Get Ur Freak On"

I was probably too harsh on Missy, and limiting her impact by viewing it through my personal lense. I appreciate you reminding me of her producting run and R&B too.

Unpopular opinion, but I don't look back as fondly on the early 2000s like many coli posters do...I think there's a lot of overrated albums that were good, great, classic (for the time) but not timeless...Stankonia, Stillmatic, The Blueprint, Lord Willin', GRODT, all the eminem stuff. I won't deny their impact tho.

I enjoy the blueprint, and stankonia is cool..but I'll take RD and ATLiens/Aquemini/Southernplayalistic... any day.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im not saying she shouldn't be on the list nor am I saying she shouldn't be rated where shes at based on how they are doing this. Im just saying clearly they are weighting certain factors more then others. Missy wouldn't be in my top 100 personally cause she wasn't anywhere close to a good rapper. The sales and impact are undeniable though. If weighing is equally it would be tough to be top 20 when the lyrics department is so lacking.

Sock it to me was the ish though :blessed:

Lyrics is 1/5 of the criteria though, so I don't know how you're forming your conclusion. An artist could still be trash rapper with good lyrics because they lack flow, delivery, and mic presence or simply can't put together a dope song.

adexkola

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The way cacs and hipsters see Big Boi is so fukking weird. Do they have a version of Outkast records without him or some shyt.....

He outrapped Andre on Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik not even debatable and it was close on ATLiens but I think more (who aren't purely Andre dikkriders) would probably say Big Boi got the better of more of the songs.

Andre really only started separating himself with Aquemini. Then he had Stankonia where Big Boi still got the better of some of those tracks I mean BOB is one of their biggest records and Big Boi got em. Then they had the half and half.

And again Big Boi had a actual solo career. SLLF wasn't just a solo debut it was one of the best rap records of 2010. Did great critically and commercially and Big Boi has other good solos too... Meanwhile they reduced to talkin bout Andre features lol.... That wasn't even a criteria. These nikkas retarded.

My thing is that any list that has 3000 on it and no Big Boi, or has a huge gap between the two, is invalid automatically

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Interesting Drake is going to be top 10 on this list.

He's not a true MC, but no one can deny his impact...doesn't he have more #1 hits than elvis and the beatles?

I'd like to see a list that doesn't factor in commercial success, and focuses on the quality of work...when commercial hits are taken into account you get whacked out lists with drake being a better MC than Q-Tip and Black Thought, and people like Raekwon and Prodigy not even making the top 50...

Best MC and most popular/most successful MC are different lists. Nicki Manaj & Drake are pop artists, not MCs

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's not a true MC, but no one can deny his impact...doesn't he have more #1 hits than elvis and the beatles?

I'd like to see a list that doesn't factor in commercial success, and focuses on the quality of work...when commercial hits are taken into account you get whacked out lists with drake being a better MC than Q-Tip and Black Thought, and people like Raekwon and Prodigy not even making the top 50...

Best MC and most popular/most successful MC are different lists. Nicki Manaj & Drake are pop artists, not MCs

If you base it just on quality of music, you will get a list that makes no sense whatsoever because it will come down to personal tastes. No list is ever going to get it right.

Blaze made a list in the 90's and Prodigy wasn't on that one either. I don't even think commercial success was a factor because it Pos from De La Soul and Cee Lo from Goodie Mob on it.

None of these lists are going to be to your liking unless you make your own.

Last edited: