Biracial wars for Olivia Rodrigo

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Other genres may have dominated at different times,but RNB was always considered RnB,never "pop":comeon:.
If what your saying is the case,how come pop radio has consistently refused to play rap and RNB back then and now,even when its popular?
Unless you manage to reach the heights of Whitney,Rhianna,Chris Brown,Michael Jackson, Beyonce,Drake where you are too popular a name to be ignored?
The sound and whether or not its digestable to whites,has 100% been a factor at play,along with the race of the artist.
Because black music in a white package is automatically digestable to cacs.
Saying "pop" is just technical term that doesn't match up with reality of what typically has happened in pop radio.
My definition is reality based,this Olivia Rodrigo girl is actually correct in her view imo.
Traditionally non cacs are more firmly put into other categories that are not the same as "pop".

I thought she got booed because she was mainstream off gp at the soul train awards. But according to Whitney she was getting hate for singing too white:dahell:? Aside from "I wanna Dance With Somebody" ,I can't think of any songs from her where you could argue she "sang white". But I guess in that time period I could see how those power ballads were digestable for cacs,plus maybe the entire glossy package she came in. So for her time she may have been pop,and I'm only looking at it in hindsight.
pop is not a genre of music...like i said, pop is short for popular (music) people can make music from all sorts of genres that hits the pop charts and top 40/100 format radio (pop radio). it's why i said the pop charts were dominated by r&b and rock in the 90's - and pop stations definitely played boyz ii men, toni braxton, whitney, mariah even tho they were making r&b. hip hop can dominate the top 40 but not be played on pop radio due to explicit content, so there is some distinction between top 40 charts and pop radio there, but it's why safer songs/artists like nelly, kanye, drake, can and do get play on pop radio.

now there has been some disambiguation of associating pop to being its own genre given there are artists who specialize in making mass appeal hits, but it's not actually a genre. someone like Bieber is making r&b, edm, folk songs, but he's considered a pop artist as whatever style of song he makes is generally popular and hits the top 40. same with rihanna, she's made everything from r&b, to house, to soca, to rock songs, but she's a pop star. janet and michael and whitney were considered pop stars because of the general appeal and success of their music. you don't have to be white to be a pop star. but yes, anything white will have a chance of more success since we are a society dominated by white standards and whites are the biggest group here

NYChase718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:dwillhuh:

Everything she said was wrong.

Unless she grew up in a convent or overseas, she saw Rihanna, Beyonce, Alicia Keys and Mariah dominate the pop charts and was willingly being obtuse.

Plus shes full of shyt, by the time she was 10 it had to be like 2013. She didnt grow up in the TRL era of britney and christina

:mjlol:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
This is the wrong thing to worry about regarding her. People should be worried about other artists eating off her publishing for songs that weren't even sampled/interpolated.

why do you guys call musical acts, industry plants just because they are being pushed by their major record company? All major pop acts since the 80s have been pushed and heavily invested in before they became popular. It's only the last decade that I've heard this industry plant shyt. Her rise to fame is no different from the Britney Spear, Christina Aguilera, Cydney Lauper etc

Adele went triple platinum in her first week. That has industry plant written all over it. :troll:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
pop is not a genre of music...like i said, pop is short for popular (music) people can make music from all sorts of genres that hits the pop charts and top 40/100 format radio (pop radio). it's why i said the pop charts were dominated by r&b and rock in the 90's - and pop stations definitely played boyz ii men, toni braxton, whitney, mariah even tho they were making r&b. hip hop can dominate the top 40 but not be played on pop radio due to explicit content, so there is some distinction between top 40 charts and pop radio there, but it's why safer songs/artists like nelly, kanye, drake, can and do get play on pop radio.

now there has been some disambiguation of associating pop to being its own genre given there are artists who specialize in making mass appeal hits, but it's not actually a genre. someone like Bieber is making r&b, edm, folk songs, but he's considered a pop artist as whatever style of song he makes is generally popular and hits the top 40. same with rihanna, she's made everything from r&b, to house, to soca, to rock songs, but she's a pop star. janet and michael and whitney were considered pop stars because of the general appeal and success of their music. you don't have to be white to be a pop star. but yes, anything white will have a chance of more success since we are a society dominated by white standards and whites are the biggest group here

I think I proved my point that this in fact does make pop a genre. The genre being a basket of music that is digestable to cacs.
I don't think Beyonces music is intended to be digestable,it only is because she is Beyonce and has become colorless due to her extreme popularity.
For that reason I wouldn't consider her pop,because her music doesn't make the intention to be digestable for whites.
Justin Bieber is popular AND whatever music he makes whether rnb,"tropical house" smh,will be digestible to whites. Where as it wouldn't be if Jazmine Sullivan or Gyptian made the same song. I'm not really making up a definition,as much as I'm giving you the unspoken defintion.
You say those rap artist are safer due to non explicitness,but I'd say its the entire non threatning aesthetic/perception of those nikkas as well that make them digestible.

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
im wondering how grown men even hear these albums let alone know who this is? not that im judging, it's just kind of amazing that this is even being discussed here. i dont even know who this is.
I listen to alternative radio
I listen to rap now and again, but I listen to alt more

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I think I proved my point that this in fact does make pop a genre. The genre being a basket of music that is digestable to cacs.
I don't think Beyonces music is intended to be digestable,it only is because she is Beyonce and has become colorless due to her extreme popularity.
For that reason I wouldn't consider her pop,because her music doesn't make the intention to be digestable for whites.
Justin Bieber is popular AND whatever music he makes whether rnb,"tropical house" smh,will be digestible to whites. Where as it wouldn't be if Jazmine Sullivan or Gyptian made the same song. I'm not really making up a definition,as much as I'm giving you the unspoken defintion.
You say those rap artist are safer due to non explicitness,but I'd say its the entire non threatning aesthetic/perception of those nikkas as well that make them digestible.
You haven’t, and beyonce is a pop star, and makes/made highly accessible music. I don’t care about this enough to keep posting, so...