Biracial wars for Olivia Rodrigo

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
That's why I can't ever fukk with Bruno Mars. Dude is talented, but has no creative bone in his body.

He sounds like he is trying so hard to be liked by old folks and internet people who hate modern music, so he just makes quasi covers of old songs so people can be like "that Bruno feller is pretty good :smugdraper:" but that's all he will ever get, because no one likes Bruno for HIM. He doesn't have a sound.
Ehh, Bruno has been liked for him and hot out the gate - songs like marry you, grenade, just the way you are, locked out of heaven etc didn’t rely on the throwback music shtick and were very successful. I do agree as of the last project and what he’s doing with Paak he leans on 70’s soul/funk renditions too much, but it’s patently wrong to say that’s the only reason he’s noticed when he made contemporary sounding music and still had tons of success.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Genuine question. What did she say wrong?

sometimes get DMs from little girls being like, ‘I’ve never seen someone who looked like me in your position.’ And I’m literally going to cry, like, just thinking about it,” Rodrigo, 18, said in the V Magazine feature.

“I feel like I grew up never seeing that. Also, it was always like, ‘Pop star,’ that’s a white girl.”

These days, however, Rodrigo is grateful that the music biz no longer forces artists to be confined by certain genres — at least not to the extent that she witnessed growing up.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I looked up what he was and he could very well Be black based on American standards depending on what type of rican his dad was
His dad is a Puerto Rican Jew - very much looks like an indigenous + white Rican...maybe some African blood 2+ generations back, but no, Bruno doesn’t fit even the most generous definitions of being part black.
9fe796d0c5494f94354140b466437055.jpg

Peter-and-Bernadetter-married-and-birthed-five-kids.jpg

rs_1024x759-171116180456-1024-bruno-mars-dad.jpg

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

sometimes get DMs from little girls being like, ‘I’ve never seen someone who looked like me in your position.’ And I’m literally going to cry, like, just thinking about it,” Rodrigo, 18, said in the V Magazine feature.

“I feel like I grew up never seeing that. Also, it was always like, ‘Pop star,’ that’s a white girl.”

These days, however, Rodrigo is grateful that the music biz no longer forces artists to be confined by certain genres — at least not to the extent that she witnessed growing up.
well j lo, Beyoncé, Rihanna, and a bunch of half white latinas - Demi lovato, Selena Gomez, etc - all exist/existed as non white pop stars so she either selectively chose to just admire the white ones or to ignore the women of color (I’m counting these mixed chicks since she’s mixed but conveniently choosing to levers her non white side). And that’s just naming people who she was alive to experience - Whitney, Mariah, Janet were all also pop stars.

I can’t name an Asian descent pop star in America so as for her fans feeling like they see themselves in her, I have no beef with that

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
His dad is a Puerto Rican Jew - very much looks like an indigenous + white Rican...maybe some African blood 2+ generations back, but no, Bruno doesn’t fit even the most generous definitions of being part black.
9fe796d0c5494f94354140b466437055.jpg

Peter-and-Bernadetter-married-and-birthed-five-kids.jpg

rs_1024x759-171116180456-1024-bruno-mars-dad.jpg

Like I said depending on what his grandparent was he could be seen as black based off American one drop rule.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Like I said depending on what his grandparent was he could be seen as black based off American one drop rule.
One drop rule doesn’t apply to how we see race socially these days. Otherwise there are 6 million whites down south with 1-5% African dna who are black...but we know that’s not how we’d categorize them in 2021 :comeon:

Bruno been pressed about and speculated about being black since his debut, given the type of music he makes and admiration of black music, if he had a black grandfather, we’d know/he’d claim it

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I looked up what he was and he could very well Be black based on American standards depending on what type of rican his dad was
You Can’t tell me today is the first day you seen what Bruno looks like ….:flabbynsick:

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
Surprised she didn't change her last name and just pretended to be white like Charlie Sheen.

93 til

Superstar
Daps

Beyonce
Janet
Whitney Houston
Rihanna
Demi Lovato
J Lo
Selena
Shakira

Even groups like the Spice Girls, p*ssycat Dolls, Firth Harmony, etc.

:childplease: she ain't gotta lie to kick it

GOAT

The bubble was fraudulent
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And miss out on the clicks and revenue that it would generate for their site from those comments? No way :russ:

She's from the Disney Channel, so she should have been well aware of former pop stars in Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez who obviously aren't white :laff:

:gucci: Obvious to who?

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

:dwillhuh:

Everything she said was wrong.

Unless she grew up in a convent or overseas, she saw Rihanna, Beyonce, Alicia Keys and Mariah dominate the pop charts and was willingly being obtuse.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
youre just making up stuff based on your feelings tho. Pop is simply popular music. The top 40, there are radio stations that specialize in playing top 40 music and tons of genres have dominated it at various times - 90’s was r&b and alternative/rock, 00’s was rap & typical acts you associate with pop - Britney, Backstreet Boys, etc - as well as people like beyonce, usher, chris brown and Rihanna.

Whitney was a pop star and was considered pop - whole reason she got booed at the soul train awards.

pop is simply mainstream and has nothing to do with intended audience but everything to do with mass appeal

Other genres may have dominated at different times,but RNB was always considered RnB,never "pop":comeon:.
If what your saying is the case,how come pop radio has consistently refused to play rap and RNB back then and now,even when its popular?
Unless you manage to reach the heights of Whitney,Rhianna,Chris Brown,Michael Jackson, Beyonce,Drake where you are too popular a name to be ignored?
The sound and whether or not its digestable to whites,has 100% been a factor at play,along with the race of the artist.
Because black music in a white package is automatically digestable to cacs.
Saying "pop" is just technical term that doesn't match up with reality of what typically has happened in pop radio.
My definition is reality based,this Olivia Rodrigo girl is actually correct in her view imo.
Traditionally non cacs are more firmly put into other categories that are not the same as "pop".

You sure? I had convos on here about how she was considered pop

I thought she got booed because she was mainstream off gp at the soul train awards. But according to Whitney she was getting hate for singing too white:dahell:? Aside from "I wanna Dance With Somebody" ,I can't think of any songs from her where you could argue she "sang white". But I guess in that time period I could see how those power ballads were digestable for cacs,plus maybe the entire glossy package she came in. So for her time she may have been pop,and I'm only looking at it in hindsight.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
My opinion...if you can pass unless you grew up entrenched around ppl of your minority ethnicity, chances are you gonna be whitewashed

And ppl only wanna claim minority status now because it's convenient

If it wasn't in best believe they'd claim white
big facts