Birth of A Nation’s Box Office Flop and The Unrepentant Pettiness of Black Feminists.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Bu bu bu Birth of a Nation isn't historically accurate, brehs

Completely disregard Blockbuster movies like Titanic that weren't historically accurate at all but yet, none of us said anything cause it was a white movie

Also dont forget shows like Spartacus, brehs, which were not accurate and yet were major hits, cause... ding ding, they were white shows

That white man's ice STAY colder than a niccas ice, huh? :mjpls:

Notice I said they said the inaccuracies MADE it not that good of a film. While the inaccuracies of other films didn't harm them as artistic creations. Trust me PLENTY of people talked about how inaccurate MANY of those films were. In fact, we had 2 bullshyt Egypt films in the past 2 years which bombed because of the casting inaccuracies...this is a straw man argument, breh.

It was a great film, the movie was sabotaged from day one. Whoever does the Haitian Revolution (especially without a white savior) is going to get it probably worse than Nate Parker did.

I personally think sabotage is a strong claim. I mean...for as much as I agree that some one who is found innocent of a crime should be left alone, we forget this is fukking America. And we don't forget shyt unless its slavery, the genocide of colored peoples or losing the war of 1812.

Yeah there was shyt in the game, but Nate didn't play that game back and the success of his film suffered. I'm glad you liked it. Im gonna see it and make an opinon about it on my own...

• Dap
Reactions: flo

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Years from now we are going to be upset when a Hollywood production company does not want to greenlight any black films that portray us as strong.

Unlike CACs, when we do something it reflects on our whole race. If Obama fails, there will never be a black president again. If a company hires a black CEO and they do poorly, that company will never hire a black CEO again.

When one of us fail on a major stage, we all fail because it affects all of us.

So don't be surprised when Hollywood only wants to deal with Madea movies and movies of us that have a white leading character as a savior. We tried and fail. We don't continue to get opportunities like this.

Thank you for letting the rape propaganda potentially ruin every single black film directors dream of getting a pro-black film greenlighted.

knee jerk foolishness. Stop depending on the infrastructure then, make your own studios. Make support the film makers with your money. What you need to understand is that black films currently are usually the same bullshyt over and over again. Coming of age, rom-com, comedy etc.

Black film makers need to start making political dramas, thrillers, science-fiction and the sort and then the market is more wide open for them, and more people have a chance to support them. Again, it was messed up for the media to come at Nate over something he was exonerated of, however, he didn't help himself with his attitude towards it.

You really think white folks (where the real money is) are interested in the same 10 stories black people tell in flims...no. If we are going to continue to push entertainment like we do, we have to evolve as well. Its not the end of the world because Nate's film didn't work, breh. And it wasn't all of a sudden going to cause black cinema to flourish either.

Atlanta is did well because its a dark comedy...which is a genre we didnt do before but have a unique spin on. Simple as that.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Notice I said they said the inaccuracies MADE it not that good of a film. While the inaccuracies of other films didn't harm them as artistic creations. Trust me PLENTY of people talked about how inaccurate MANY of those films were. In fact, we had 2 bullshyt Egypt films in the past 2 years which bombed because of the casting inaccuracies...this is a straw man argument, breh.

I personally think sabotage is a strong claim. I mean...for as much as I agree that some one who is found innocent of a crime should be left alone, we forget this is fukking America. And we don't forget shyt unless its slavery, the genocide of colored peoples or losing the war of 1812.

Yeah there was shyt in the game, but Nate didn't play that game back and the success of his film suffered. I'm glad you liked it. Im gonna see it and make an opinon about it on my own...

Breh, those rape allegations were around since he was 19. Why has it NEVER been brought up until this movie? He was in movies with Denzel the gawd and nobody said anything.

The issue wasn't Nate Parker, the issue was making a movie praising Nat Turner. You got cacs saying Nat Turner shouldn't be celebrated and he was a terrorist.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Breh, those rape allegations were around since he was 19. Why has it NEVER been brought up until this movie? He was in movies with Denzel the gawd and nobody said anything.

The issue wasn't Nate Parker, the issue was making a movie praising Nat Turner. You got cacs saying Nat Turner shouldn't be celebrated and he was a terrorist.

Breh, stop acting like relevance isn't a major part of news, information and social media. You have a controversial film off rip, naturally more eyes are going to be on the director and cast...then boom this comes to the forefront. The same shyt is happening to Donald Trump right now mayne. Its all fair game to the media.

If you don't want these stories coming out then don't do silly shyt or be involved with silly ass people. But if your were it would be prudent to control your own image by either speaking about it first or offering some sort of placation the moment it hits....

Ya'll gotta stop acting like ya'll don't know how this shyt works.

Chelsea Bridge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even tho you're one of the c00n black feminists who joined in the effort to sabotage this, there is some truth to this.'despite the hate from sell out black feminist types, 61% of the audience that went and saw this movie were female. So if we are going to blame anyone for the numbers it should be black men.

This was sabotaged from the start tho and it was an inside job.

Gabrielle Union on Birth of a Nation Boycotts: ‘I Support You If You Don’t Want to See the Film’
Gabrielle Union on Birth of a Nation Boycotts: ‘I Support You If You Don’t Want to See the Film’

I don't think that she comes out with comments like this unless she got an ok from the studio itself.Fox paid 17.5million and probably spent another 10-15 million to promote it. I don't know what numbers you're using.
:mjlol: I was not apart of no damn sabotage. I even gave a male friend a free movie ticket so he could see it.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Breh, stop acting like relevance isn't a major part of news, information and social media. You have a controversial film off rip, naturally more eyes are going to be on the director and cast...then boom this comes to the forefront. The same shyt is happening to Donald Trump right now mayne. Its all fair game to the media.

If you don't want these stories coming out then don't do silly shyt or be involved with silly ass people. But if your were it would be prudent to control your own image by either speaking about it first or offering some sort of placation the moment it hits....

Ya'll gotta stop acting like ya'll don't know how this shyt works.
How wasn't he relevant?

He was In non stop with Liam Neeson, worked with Denzel, worked in Red Tails. How much more relevant can you be as a black actor.

Fact is, the movie he made insulted and made a group of powerful people salty and they wanted to send a message.

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Black women are the leading consumers in Film and Televison in the black community. :manny: Black women spend more money on entertainment than black men. Without a black female audience backing your project it's harder to get success. Even with that, black women contributed to much of the profit in the movie.

I truely believe this website is divisve as hell. I don't see constructive criticism. I don't see how constantly attacking the opposite sex in gender wars while white people continue to pass laws against you and economically rape you. Really who gives a fukk about what some black chick on Twitter thinks. Its just their opinion. Everyone has one. I am starting see Many black people focus on petty chatty patty "pro black" stuff.

Last edited:

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
I'm sure black feminist will fall in love and promote the hell out of a John Brown movie that'll be coming next. Liberal Hollywood gonna drop that not all white are bad movie.:mjpls: They'll probably cast Brad Pitt as the lead, everyone will forget that he whooped his little vietnamese son ass by then. They might've even cast Sean Penn and dare the feminist to bring up his past.:ufdup:

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
Black film makers need to start making political dramas, thrillers, science-fiction and the sort and then the market is more wide open for them, and more people have a chance to support them. Again, it was messed up for the media to come at Nate over something he was exonerated of, however, he didn't help himself with his attitude towards it.

Hard to get the financing for those. Black movies that do get financing get smaller budgets unless they clean it up to the point where it no longer looks like a black film. If black people don't invest in our own media then it will always be like that. We'll always get the sister girl dramedy,the coming of age black kids story, and the two slackers go on an adventure movies because they're cheap to make. That's why for every one that makes it to theaters there's 20 that go straight to DVD.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
How wasn't he relevant?

He was In non stop with Liam Neeson, worked with Denzel, worked in Red Tails. How much more relevant can you be as a black actor.

Fact is, the movie he made insulted and made a group of powerful people salty and they wanted to send a message.

And none of those films even got HALF the news that Birth of a Nation did

• Dap
Reactions: flo

Tug life

I stay fly like a guillemot
Daps
Reppin
Harlem World
Even tho you're one of the c00n black feminists who joined in the effort to sabotage this, there is some truth to this.'despite the hate from sell out black feminist types, 61% of the audience that went and saw this movie were female. So if we are going to blame anyone for the numbers it should be black men.

This was sabotaged from the start tho and it was an inside job.

I don't think that she comes out with comments like this unless she got an ok from the studio itself.Fox paid 17.5million and probably spent another 10-15 million to promote it. I don't know what numbers you're using.

fukk fox it was indie funded for around 10 to make,then fox bought it for 17 and on track to do maybe 10 mill first week