Black America's Wealth Illusion: Black Celebrities misrepresenting the black community's wealth

Vonte3000

Chance 3 :wow: :blessed:
Daps
Reppin
Darien Ga
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/antonio-moore/the-decadent-veil-black-income-inequality_b_5646472.html

Antonio Moore

I write this piece following the ground work laid by W.E.B. Dubois's Veil of Double Consciousness. The veil he described was a visualization of the racial duality blacks take on as part of their American identity. I now undertake the daunting task of clarifying the new veil of economics that has covered the struggles of a generation. The decadent veil looks at black Americans through a lens of group theory and seeks to explain an illusion that has taken form over a 30-year span of financial deregulation and new found access to unsecured credit. This veil is trimmed with million-dollar sports contracts, Roc Nation tour deals and designer labels made for heads of state. As black celebrity invited us into their homes through shows like MTV cribs, we forgot the condition of overall African American financial affairs. Despite a large section of the 14 million black households drowning in poverty and debt the stories of a few are told as if they represent those of millions, not thousands. It is this new veil of economics that has allowed for a broad swath of America to become not just desensitized to black poverty, but also hypnotized by black celebrity. How could we not, our channels are filled from ESPN to VH1 with presentations of black Americans being paid a king's ransom to entertain. As black celebrity has been shown to millions of people, millions of times, the story of real lives has also been lost, and with it the engine that thrust forward the demand for social justice by the masses. The heartbeat of social action is to recognize your mistreatment, and demand better. With each presentation of Kobe Bryant's 25 million dollar a year contract, or Oprah's status as the sole African American billionaire a veil of false calm is created within the overall American economic psyche about the immense black wealth disparity. Young black men from ghettos across America that used to dream to make great changes in racial inequity now just dream to be a millionaire and be like mike and dunk a ball or dance on a stage. The decadent veil not only warps our vision outward to a larger economic world, but it also distorts outside community's view of our actual financial reality.

Federal Reserve numbers show the median net worth (Assets less Debts) for white households in the top 1 percent is about $8.3 Million dollars. While median net worth for all white households is $112,000 -- the exact midpoint of America's 90 million white families, where half or 45 million families have more and the other half possesses less. That makes for a staggering 74 times less wealth for an average white household when compared to the asset holdings of the top 1 percent of white homes. This is among the highest levels of income stratification between classes in the developed world. Yet, the wealth difference between the American black household in the top 1 percent and the average black household is several times worse. As reported by MSNBC the median net worth of the few black households in the top 1 percent was $1.2 million dollars, while according to the Census median net worth for all black households was about $6,000 in total.

The sad truth is that added together all black households are worth a mere $1.4 trillion of the $80 trillion of total U.S. household net worth. A group that is 13 percent of the U.S. population and built one of the the wealthiest countries the world has known as slave labor controls less than 1.75 percent of that country's household wealth. With a massive amount of the small slither in the hands of a small black elite. According to the Pew Research Study, 35 percent of Black households have Negative or No Net Worth. Another 15 percent have less than $6,000 in total household worth, that's nearly 7 million of the total 14 million black households that have little or no security.

Even though their numbers are infinitesimal in comparison to the whole of Black America the 21st century million dollar black celebrity's image has grown to a point of normalcy in homes across the world. So much so that the lives of those in struggling financially in urban centers across America have become overcast by the projection of these larger than life individual brands. The issue is our veiled mask glazed with decadent trim has in many ways hidden the true consequence of our historical scars. Without that veil removed, we project progress that has not yet occurred, and in doing so perpetuate an illusion that may in the end destroy us all.

Also this article isn't saying anything like celebrities need to help just that people misrepresent their success as an achievement and benefit financially for all black people.

Just gonna throw this in here too
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/inte...le-have-less-than-1-of-nations-wealth.233159/
Black people are doing bad economically and that's a major factor in the way we're treated in America. We have no economic power at all and no sense of community.

Truth200

Banned
Daps
Excellent thread, people don't understand how harmful rappers like Jay-Z & Rick Ross are to the black community.

Remember when your favorite rapper is on TV flossin' it causes cacs to have less sympathy for the black struggle.

The cacs think "Well blacks in America are doing good just look at Jay-Z on TV with his 'Bling Bling"

Fact.....

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
Excellent thread, people don't understand how harmful rappers like Jay-Z & Rick Ross are to the black community.

Remember when your favorite rapper is on TV flossin' it causes cacs to have less sympathy for the black struggle.

The cacs think "Well blacks in America are doing good just look at Jay-Z on TV with his 'Bling Bling"

Fact.....

I'll never forget my boy's story about how he walked into a jeweler in the burbs one time to pick up a white gold chain, he was lookin' to spend a grand or 2. The jeweler took him to a secret vault to show him his most expensive collection :heh: It's crazy how there's such a divide in positive/negative stereotypes of blacks. To most of the world, we're not normal. We're either ridiculously athletic with horse sized genitalia, or heavy in the entertainment/criminal sector sittin' on stacks burnin' through money, or we're scum of the earth welfare handout seekers. :heh: Like it's crazy how there's almost no such thing as just a regular black citizen to most types. That's why I was so huge into Kanye before he went on that gay fashion Euro tip, it was cool to see a regular black dude being portrayed in the media :obama:

Meta Reign

I walk the streets like, ''say something, n!gga!''
Daps
Reppin
Franklin ave.
I said in another thread recently that black people are also ''OVER-REPRESENTED'' on television in general. 13% of the nation, but if you look at American television you would swear we were atleast 30%. I mean it seems like alot of ethnicities have their sector where they're ''over-represented'', and that's fine. I'm just saying that this over-representation in particular is hurting Black America's perception of itself. It hurts us by giving us more pipe dreams than, I would believe, other ethnic groups/races.

Truth200

Banned
Daps
I'll never forget my boy's story about how he walked into a jeweler in the burbs one time to pick up a white gold chain, he was lookin' to spend a grand or 2. The jeweler took him to a secret vault to show him his most expensive collection :heh: It's crazy how there's such a divide in positive/negative stereotypes of blacks. To most of the world, we're not normal. We're either ridiculously athletic with horse sized genitalia, or heavy in the entertainment/criminal sector sittin' on stacks burnin' through money, or we're scum of the earth welfare handout seekers. :heh: Like it's crazy how there's almost no such thing as just a regular black citizen to most types. That's why I was so huge into Kanye before he went on that gay fashion Euro tip, it was cool to see a regular black dude being portrayed in the media :obama:

I agree it's not fair at all and the breeding of slaves play a role in it.

Slavery made the NFL & NBA what it is today, no where else on earth are there such thoroughbred athletes.

The cream of the crop entertainers make millions giving a false perception causing the average black person to suffer.

Your exactly right, it's all or nothing it seems like sometimes for black America and cacs just wan't to be entertained.

Things could change but the culture must change first.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Slavery made the NFL & NBA what it is today, no where else on earth are there such thoroughbred athletes.

Breeding of slaves has nothing to do with the preponderance of black athletes in the NFL and NBA. :childplease:

It's because of culture and because perception tends to become reality overtime. Attributing that to slavery or "breeding" is fallacious. From the 1910s-1940s Jews dominated boxing (in fact there were 26 Jewish world champs), I doubt anybody would say it's because of their genes or because Jewish people are unusually athletic. Another example - there are few black pro swimmers. In fact, around 60% of black kids can't swim, compared to only about 31% of white kids. It would be easy to postulate that this is because of some physiological advantage that white people have, but from a scientific standpoint it would be bullshyt. More do to with black kids being less likely to have regular access to a swimming pool, and less interest in swimming in general due to a cultural preference for other sports.

Whenever a certain ethnic group dominates a certain sport, it's going to be mostly cultural. Not trying to diss, but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people automatically equate things to genetics that have little to do with it.

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps

The cream of the crop entertainers make millions giving a false perception causing the average black person to suffer.

Your exactly right, it's all or nothing it seems like sometimes for black America and cacs just wan't to be entertained.

Things could change but the culture must change first.

In our culture the cream of the crop is SO EXTREMELY wealthy it sh*ts on everybody else. Like when you're 200 million deep in the nation, the 100,000 or so white athletes are very rare. But most blacks know personally, or are like 3 degrees away from a major crime boss/pro baller because our communities are so much smaller. So when you see the baller all day in your neighborhood on 22s, it kind of takes the glamour away from being an accountant/programmer/professor or other steady type jobs. When you see that one guy in the hood all the time ballin' out, and all the bishes on him, that's what makes it tough, and I think that's the major difference between the black community and the white community.

Kritic

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The sad truth is that added together all black households are worth a mere $1.4 trillion of the $80 trillion of total U.S. household net worth. A group that is 13 percent of the U.S. population and built one of the the wealthiest countries the world has known as slave labor controls less than 1.75 percent of that country's household wealth. With a massive amount of the small slither in the hands of a small black elite. According to the Pew Research Study, 35 percent of Black households have Negative or No Net Worth. Another 15 percent have less than $6,000 in total household worth, that's nearly 7 million of the total 14 million black households that have little or no security.
my people headed to the fema camps yo:wow:

Truth200

Banned
Daps
In our culture the cream of the crop is SO EXTREMELY wealthy it sh*ts on everybody else. Like when you're 200 million deep in the nation, the 100,000 or so white athletes are very rare. But most blacks know personally, or are like 3 degrees away from a major crime boss/pro baller because our communities are so much smaller. So when you see the baller all day in your neighborhood on 22s, it kind of takes the glamour away from being an accountant/programmer/professor or other steady type jobs. When you see that one guy in the hood all the time ballin' out, and all the bishes on him, that's what makes it tough, and I think that's the major difference between the black community and the white community.

Exactly, and things will never get better until this cultural issue gets dealt with.