Black art should display how life should be, not how it is

BlackJesus

Spread science, save with coupons
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
When black rappers make songs and music videos about life in the ghetto, mumbling incoherently, shooting other black people, poverty and dissing black women etc my basic response to that is to get depressed and/or ambivalent.

When black painters paint murals of cops viciously assaulting unarmed teenagers I am not inspired or moved to change anything.

When black filmmakers and actors portray black characters as down and out pimps, dumb athletes, drug dealers, or goofy white sidekicks for comic relief rather than nuanced and complex human beings with diverse backgrounds and perspectives I feel like throwing my remote through the TV screen and saying "fukk it" with black movies.

Notice a pattern? When artists make art it should give you hope, inspiration, motivation, and upliftment. It should display the best of life and human potential. That is what's most vital about it. Black art is unique in that it mostly shows black people in subservient positions or as victims of circumstance.

The standard response by the "keep it real" crowd is this is "how shyt is". Maybe. But not how it should be.

For all the bad-talking and critiques here on Black Panther, it was the first movie in recent memory to completely reject any and all negative stereotypes about black people AND also present an uplifted vision of Africa. I think that's what drew people the most about it. That resonated with people on a deeper level.

Art is about what could and should be, not about depravity and degeneracy and the worst possible examples the artists can come up with.

This is precisely what we don't need.

We can do better.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
You speak as though it is one or the other. Speaking of dreams to those who struggling can be dismissive and you're right that wallowing in self-pity doesn't help.

What's the answer? Paying respect to both. Lucky for us, art is something that allows different ideas to flourish.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
So basically this is romanticism vs realism in art

Basically he wants motherfukkers to do what Bill Cosby did...

Lol...

fukk that...

nikka, if you can't be inspired just by being Black alone and having to deal with the real life consequences of this shyt...then what the fukk are you doing being alive...

Go outside in any major city and see the homeless Black men...you should want to change the world off that simple shyt alone

You want me and other Black creatives to make some make believe fantasy world...

Where there is no crime or death or failure...

Hell some of us already delude ourselves in real life

How many stupid out of touch motherfukkers was saying racism is of the pass when Obama was the President?

How many stupid motherfukkers said the White youth aren't racist like their parents cause of Obama?

How many stupid motherfukkers said we are now post racial?

We are Black and an extremely concentrated minority where people can actually live their entire life without even engaging with a Black person on any meaningful level....

Why the fukk would I create something this is meant to be shared with the world and not tell the world what life is like for the majority of people that look like me?

Nah...I'ma sit here and create Utopias and fantasies...when motherfukkers that look like me already can't even be convinced that they are poor and live in an apartheid state because Obama was president and Jay Z is rich...

The desire for fantasy and wishful thinking is a cancer...

Last edited:

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Ya'll nikkas acting like it isn't positive forms of entertainment and art out there already a lot of which ya'll don't support in the first place. That shyt reminds of when people say they want old music back than a artists from the past does a comeback album and that shyt goes triple cardboard and flops. People just love to talk out of bothsides of their mouth imo.
Agree OP. And there should always be some sort of balance. The black imagery is too self denigrating. The counterbalance should be about the possibilities. More of that is needed.

HellRell804

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The problem is, even though we have the power to make our own art, we still dont control the distribution of it. We could make a million inspiring works of art but at the end of the day we still have to go somewhere else to have it put out to the masses. Unfortunately the people who control the distribution would rather see ignorance and destruction. Also black people only seem to support 100% black productions if Jesus is involved.

The messed up part about it is, that a lot of the ignorance isnt even selling like that. So a lot of this propaganda is being put out at a loss, which should scare you even more...

Tornado Drill

Rookie
Daps
Ya'll nikkas acting like it isn't positive forms of entertainment and art out there already a lot of which ya'll don't support in the first place. That shyt reminds of when people say they want old music back than a artists from the past does a comeback album and that shyt goes triple cardboard and flops. People just love to talk out of bothsides of their mouth imo.

There is no "ya'll" here. I support positive forms now, I just have to search outside the U.S. for it (example: Bongo Flava music). Despite some of the positive images, it is far outweighed by the negative. We can't afford to even be slightly negative. The other races are doing too much of that already. Time to make ourselves look good the whole time every time.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I agree, but people dont want to aspire to better and greater things even if you showed them. They comfortable being stuck in a box with limited ideas.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Lmao so now it's an american black thread where positive art and entertainment is non exstience?:mjlol:
There is no "ya'll" here. I support positive forms now, I just have to search outside the U.S. for it (example: Bongo Flava music). Despite some of the positive images, it is far outweighed by the negative. We can't afford to even be slightly negative. The other races are doing too much of that already. Time to make ourselves look good the whole time every time.
Shut the fukk up
Please. These nikkas are annoying as hell.