Black art should display how life should be, not how it is

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
But then people tell u that’s just escapism.

Blks aren’t even allowed to dream and the trajectory of a lot of our media reflects this.

We call blks thinking in speculative fiction or fantasy goofy or weird. Even blk children are forced to grow up too quick.

Mythos is important b/c innovation and creativity and inspiration can come from that space.

I don’t think we have to completely replace being real with romanticism but we have a glaring absence of fantasy and epic mythos portrayed in the media representative of our community. The irritating part is that it isn’t b/c many in our community don’t want it. It’s because the avenues available to us used to produce what we consume or don’t consume will not go there.

I dream in color.
the best example would be if cacs just made movies about world war 2 and the war for independance.
that's the biggest problem with black content right now.

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
This is why black science fiction is so important and should be pushed further to the front of our arts and culture.

It doesn't have to be black panther it can be as grounded as a Thanksgiving dinner 25 years in the future.

We have to be able to imagine and create futures.
no it shouldn't. It's hard enough for black art already but giving extra attention to one genre ain't gonna help. The great Sci-fi fiction writers told stories that mirrored out reality the setting not so much.

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
no it shouldn't. It's hard enough for black art already but giving extra attention to one genre ain't gonna help. The great Sci-fi fiction writers told stories that mirrored out reality the setting not so much.

FOH breh art isn't a zero-sum endeavor there's room for all types of genres.

I don't think you've even read the great "sci-fi fiction" writers.

(It's just Sci-Fi, as in science fiction, the extra fiction is redundant.)

:camby:

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
FOH breh art isn't a zero-sum endeavor there's room for all types of genres.

I don't think you've even read the great "sci-fi fiction" writers.

(It's just Sci-Fi, as in science fiction, the extra fiction is redundant.)

:camby:

I Used to only read sci-fi as a kid. pkd, Frank herbert, Ray Bradbury:mjlol:… (peep my username). It's so much room why you feel one genre should gettting more attention? What's so important about "creating futures":jbhmm:

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
I Used to only read sci-fi as a kid. pkd, Frank herbert, Ray Bradbury:mjlol:… (peep my username). It's so much room why you feel one genre should get a special spotlight over others?:jbhmm:

You clearly didn't understand what you were reading if you have to ask that question.

I also don't see any black sci-fi authors in your little introduction to sci-fi list there. :mjpls:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
But then people tell u that’s just escapism.

Blks aren’t even allowed to dream and the trajectory of a lot of our media reflects this.

We call blks thinking in speculative fiction or fantasy goofy or weird. Even blk children are forced to grow up too quick.

Mythos is important b/c innovation and creativity and inspiration can come from that space.

I don’t think we have to completely replace being real with romanticism but we have a glaring absence of fantasy and epic mythos portrayed in the media representative of our community. The irritating part is that it isn’t b/c many in our community don’t want it. It’s because the avenues available to us used to produce what we consume or don’t consume will not go there.

I dream in color.

I wholeheartedly agree :leon:

King Khufu

CARTEL MAFIA GANG
Daps
Reppin
At Ur Mama's Bando
Truth about it is the copywriter versus the patented creator of these works of arts & entertainment.

White man all in nikkas pockets.

So just do you and get the most money out of it.

Then when you got the money, you can spend it on your community or yourself.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
They wont because they're comfortable with the status quo. Let's say Dre goes out and signs a revolutionary black rapper. Interscope nopes the fukk out, so dre spends 5 to 10 million of his own money to get this artist out, then he goes triple plastic. That's a pretty big L.

With tyler it's even worse. He comes out with a movie that actually has a strong and positive representation of black men, the feminists and media go in on the movie and boycott like they did Nate Parker and he could lose big money.

Whether u wanna see it or not, black people have gotten to the point where the media we consume has to be approved by the mainstream. You're describing a master p approach where he was selling CDs out of the trunk, but today black twitter would call him ashy and say his music sounds cheap.

You want things to change? Find an artist that's actually living that life and support him. Get him on the hot 100. That will show other talented artists that there is a market for doing the right thing.

and once upon a time. It was the sheer opposite