Black Girls Code Turned Down $125,000 From Uber, Sees The Move As PR Stunt

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As someone who works in tech, I really don't understand Black Girls Code. I'm not going to say they aren't doing great things, but there is barely any black men in tech. African-Americans as a whole are literally only 1% at Google. It just seems so pointless to subdivide when blacks as a whole are so dramatically underrepresented. We need a strong community of black male and female professionals.

Unless of course they also train black boys, in which case ignore my comment.
There's still a gender disparity, regardless of college attendance rate differences between Black men and Black women.

Org is just a symbolic thing. Black women are going to college in mass numbers to major in nonsense and its their own choice.
More Black women who are software developers, computer programmers, computer engineers, etc. is a necessary thing.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
I won't let my lack of a moral compass speak for me. A part of me would have taken the money and said fukk yall :umad: but it seems like they were able to spin it into some positive PR for them and money.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
As someone who works in tech, I really don't understand Black Girls Code. I'm not going to say they aren't doing great things, but there is barely any black men in tech. African-Americans as a whole are literally only 1% at Google. It just seems so pointless to subdivide when blacks as a whole are so dramatically underrepresented. We need a strong community of black male and female professionals.

That's what I'm saying. Why isn't it "Black kids code". Diversity seems to be everyone but black men.

Anyhow, I might have to spend some time teaching a few people who want to learn coding some of the things I know
I'll go out on a limb and say it came about because of necessity and not intent to be female-centric. I assume it's on offshoot of Girls Who Code, or whatever the name is, because that organization is primarily white an Asian and to a much lesser extent Arab/Indian/Middle Eastern. We already know how the first group can be :mjpls:, the second group follows the first because, unfortunately they've been led to believethat white is right (somebody insert that Mulan mjpls), and that last group keeps their head down and is complicit. Why get put through that when they're supposed to be on your side? Hence Black Girls Who Code.

To give anecdotal evidence, there was maybe 10 black guys in my CS program over my tenure but no black girls. In contrast I think only 1 of my classes was all male us black dudes were consistently outnumbered by women, specifically the ethnicities I mentioned earlier.

It's no cake walk for black men but at least we have the advantage of being men. Black women are veritable unicorns in the industry.

Shorty K

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Good for them

U nikkas spend all day shytting on women but get mad cause there isn't a Black Boys Code?

Start one nikka

It really shouldn't be either or, just a Black People Code club. There's no reason for these kinds of distinctions in the black community, it genuinely angers me to see shyt like this in the ranks. Especially as someone who works in tech, we really need to be inclusive to each other in this field and let the cacs divide themselves by gender.

Last edited:
Daps

Tech is largely a man's game, no?

yyy

All Star
Daps
Don't really understand why they would turn down the money. I also don't understand why this is ended up in the news. The smarter move for BlackGirlsCode would have been to establish a business relationship with uber. Perhaps some of uber's coders could donate some time to the girls at BlackGirlsCode. But to just turndown the money and cause the company of a lack of genuineness seems to be silly. You have a need and the Uber is trying to rehabilitate their image. Business takes place when both parties can benefit.

FSP

Banned
Daps
It really shouldn't be either or, just a Black People Code club. There's no reason for these kinds of distinctions in the black community, it genuinely angers me to see shyt like this in the ranks. Especially as someone who works in tech, we really need to be inclusive to each other in this field and let the cacs divide themselves by gender.
I personally think ya'll really need to stop with the "company x but black" angle as it ostracizes a lot of minorities who could otherewise be an asset bu

yyy

All Star
Daps

This is the bedwench Uber brought in to fix their image issues. She did the same thing at Apple. I can't stand Black folks who use their skin to try to fool our people. Good on Black Girls Code.

I really don't get the hate. My sister works for Uber. From what I understand, in their DC offices they have plenty of Black people working there. Enough to the point where stye all gather and watch Insecure on Mondays. Why the hate? Is she supposed to turn down the job so you can feel better about blackness. Get off your high horse. This is the real world. For Black people who are trying to be successful, your litmus tests are irrelevant. Black people don't own nearly companies for educated and hardworking Black individuals to turn down life changing opportunities. If I was in her position I would take the job and not look back. My mom and dad work way too hard and sacrificed way too much for me to let some random ass nikkas on the internet impact my job decisions.

*P.S. - Why is it that only Black people talk this way...
Crab mentality - Wikipedia