Black steel workers knew Trump was full of shyt and didn't vote for him; coworkers did

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Trump Promised to Protect Steel. Layoffs Are Coming Instead.

nytimes.com

Trump Promised to Protect Steel. Layoffs Are Coming Instead.
Ana Swanson
11-13 minutes
CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. — At this sprawling steel mill on the outskirts of Philadelphia, the workers have one number in mind. Not how many tons of steel roll off the line, or how many hours they work, but where they fall on the plant’s seniority list.

In September, ArcelorMittal, which owns the mill, announced that it would lay off 150 of the plant’s 207 workers next year. While the cuts will start with the most junior employees, they will go so deep that even workers with decades of experience will be cast out.

“I told my son, ‘Christmas is going to be kind of scarce, because mommy’s going to lose her job soon,’” said Kimberly Allen, a steelworker and single parent who has worked at the plant for more than 22 years. On the seniority list, she’s 72nd.

00DC-STEEL-2-master675.jpg

Kimberly Allen at her desk. “I told my son, ‘Christmas is going to be kind of scarce, because mommy’s going to lose her job soon,’” said Ms. Allen, a single parent who has worked at the plant for more than 22 years. J. Quazi King for The New York Times
The layoffs have stunned these steelworkers who, just a year ago, greeted President Trump’s election as a new dawn for their industry. Mr. Trump pledged to build roads and bridges, strengthen “Buy America” provisions, protect factories from unfair imports and revive industry, especially steel.

But after a year in office, Mr. Trump has not enacted these policies. And when it comes to steel, his failure to follow through on a promise has actually done more harm than good.

Steelworkers’ Jobs Have Gradually Disappeared
The number of Americans employed in metal making has declined as a result of automation and outsourcing

artboard-300px.png

artboard-600px.png

Foreign steel makers have rushed to get their product into the United States before tariffs start. According to the American Iron and Steel Institute, which tracks shipments, steel imports were 19.4 percent higher in the first 10 months of 2017 than in the same period last year.

That surge of imports has hurt American steel makers, which were already struggling against a glut of cheap Chinese steel. When ArcelorMittal announced the layoffs in Conshohocken, it blamed those imports, as well as low demand for steel for bridges and military equipment.

James Rockas, a spokesman for the Commerce Department, said the administration was “aware of the plight of American steel workers and will continue working to halt unfair trade practices that harm our economy and kill American jobs.”

In 2008, before the financial crisis struck, the plant ran around the clock. Now, the mill coughs to life just five days a week, for eight hours at a time. The machines shovel 10-ton steel slabs into a furnace, where they are heated to 2,000 degrees, then funnel them through giant rollers and cooling jets of water, like a massive, fiery carwash.

The plant’s specialty is ultrastrong, military-grade steel — something that Eric Smith, a former Army paratrooper who has worked at the plant for over 30 years, prides himself on. Mr. Smith ranks 16th on the plant’s seniority list, and he expects to survive the coming round of layoffs.

He grew up just down the street. The weathered houses of his old neighborhood on that dim day were fringed with icicle lights, evergreen bows and flags paying homage to Santa and the Philadelphia Eagles.

As a boy, he would long to work at the factory as he passed it. These days, he said, he gets a sinking feeling as he goes through the turnstile and enters the plant.

00DC-STEEL-5-master1050.jpg

Eric Smith, a former Army paratrooper who has worked at the plant for over 30 years, expects to outlast the coming round of layoffs. J. Quazi King for The New York Times
“You just got to keep on pushing forward. It is sad that Christmas time is coming around,” he said. “You don’t want to splurge for your kids like you want to, because the plant may be closing.”

While he didn’t support Mr. Trump, Mr. Smith said he hoped that the president would follow through on his plans. “It’s still kind of early,” he said.

Reforming trade was one of the president’s signature campaign promises, and in his first months in office, Mr. Trump issued dozens of executive actions. One pulled the United States out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a 12-country trade pact. Others ordered investigations into imports or renegotiations of trade pacts.

Uncertainty about how these measures will reshape trade rules is now weighing on many industries. Companies are waiting to invest, or finding additional suppliers outside the United States, executives in agriculture, automobiles, solar energy and information technology have said.

In April, the president ordered parallel investigations into imports of steel and aluminum under the little-used Section 232 of a 1962 trade law, which permits sweeping restrictions to protect national security.

00DC-STEEL-7-master675.jpg

The control room at the plant. The steel industry says Chinese products are driving down the global price of metal to a level where American producers cannot compete. J. Quazi King for The New York Times
Earlier this year, tariffs seemed imminent. Wilbur Ross, the commerce secretary, said in late May that he expected to conclude the steel investigation by the end of June.

And in early June, Mr. Trump told a crowd in Cincinnati, “Wait till you see what I’m going to do for steel and your steel companies,” vowing that he would “stop the dumping” of products at superlow prices by other countries.

“We’ll be seeing that very soon. The steel folks are going to be very happy,” he said.

But the announcement never came.

That appears to be caused partly by internal divisions within the White House. Some officials, like Mr. Ross — a former steel executive who was on ArcelorMittal’s board until he was confirmed in February — wanted to push ahead with tariffs. But others, including economic and national security advisers, worried about repercussions, trade advisers say.

The tariffs had plenty of opponents. Automakers, food processors and companies in other industries that use steel and aluminum in their products complained that tariffs would drive up costs and make them less competitive, ultimately sacrificing more American jobs than they would save. Steel exporters, like the European Union, threatened retaliation. Prominent economists highlighted the risk of a trade war.

00DC-STEEL-8-master675.jpg

A house near the steel plant. J. Quazi King for The New York Times
“I think the White House is immobilized, because they have such a cacophony of voices,” said Senator Sherrod Brown, a Democrat from Ohio who describes himself as an ally of the president on trade. “This administration doesn’t seem to know what it thinks about trade.”

The administration will face a series of deadlines on the steel measure next year. The Commerce Department must present the results of its investigation to the president by Jan. 15. The president will then have 90 days to decide what to do.

President Trump and his advisers say they have been focused on the tax legislation, which Congress passed this week. The White House has said that it plans to turn to trade measures, including the steel investigation, once the bill is signed into law.

Still, the delay has threatened to fracture the brittle alliance the president has forged with some labor unions, who liked Mr. Trump’s populist approach to trade.

Steel Imports Have Soared in 2017
Imports have risen during President Trump’s first year in office, a trend that the steel industry attributes to the administration’s threat of strict restrictions on imports to come.

President Trump is elected

artboard-300px.png

President Trump is elected

artboard-540px.png

Senator Bob Casey Jr., a Democrat from Pennsylvania, said the administration’s commitment to workers would probably be an issue in the 2018 midterm elections. “They’ve sat on this for far too long,” he said.

The United Steelworkers, the union that includes the workers in Conshohocken, has historically aligned with Democrats. But many workers opposed trade agreements forged by Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama and viewed Hillary Clinton’s stance on trade as insincere.

In a shift in the politics of trade, the union has defended the Trump administration’s trade agenda against the criticisms of traditionally Republican business groups, like the Chamber of Commerce.

But Scott Paul, the president of the Alliance for American Manufacturing, a trade group that represents steelworkers, said he had “a profound sense of frustration that the president has been using steelworkers as political props.”

“The president’s own words and lack of action have actually put the industry in a worse position than if he had done nothing at all,” he said.

00DC-STEEL-9-master675.jpg

Kameen Thompson, the union president at the Conshohocken plant, said many workers had voted for Donald Trump because of his support for steel. “You want to vote for what you believe is going to help you keep a job,” he said. J. Quazi King for The New York Times
Kameen Thompson, the union president at the Conshohocken plant, said many workers had voted for Mr. Trump because of his support for steel. “You want to vote for what you believe is going to help you keep a job,” Mr. Thompson said.

Ms. Allen, whose father worked at the Conshohocken plant before her, was not a Trump supporter. “He told them what they wanted to hear so they would vote for him, and now they’re seeing what president he is,” she said.

But other workers who supported the president are keeping the faith.

Chuck Hauer, who has worked at the plant for 22 years and ranks around 80 on the seniority list — meaning he is likely to be laid off — said he had voted Republican because he believed that Mr. Trump was “for the people.” He said he still believed that the tariffs would happen, though perhaps not soon enough to save him.

“He’s just delaying it,” Mr. Hauer said of the president. “And I think the delay is hurting us more than he knows.”

Colilluminati

TAMRON HALL STAN
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MiddleWest
As someone who lives close to ArcelorMittal in East Chicago Indiana and US STEEL in Gary Indiana . This entire article is a lie . :mjlol:

ArcelorMittal almost shut down twice before Trump even got in office .

They did a mass hiring and people from all over America came and tested for it . Then Obama allowed China to run wild .Eventually Obama stopped this, but the damage was already done . Thousands of layoffs .

Then there was also a problem with the oceans freezing. They had to send out ships to bust the ice up to get the ships to the ports . Just so they could make the steel .

I know multiple people who worked and are still working for US STEEL . I have spoke about it a million times on here .

US STEEL had to shut down there coke plants BECAUSE OF POLITICIANS .They has to shut down blasts furnaces BECAUSE OF POLITICIANS and that caused hundreds of people to lose there jobs . ArcelorMittal in return had to IDLE some of there production because of that. MORE LAYOFFS :francis:

It is not Trumps fault other politicians destroyed the steel industry to be trade partners with China .We make fun of China for building buildings in just a couple days . We say there standards aren’t up to par with ours . Then allow China to flood America with their steel . :francis:

This is what hurt these industries the most .

Also a fun fact,

The US STEEL plant in Gary Indiana found a way to create their own power for FREE and they were threatened by NISOURCE if they operated off that .:francis:

I bet that was a couple hundred jobs loss too . :francis:

Colilluminati

TAMRON HALL STAN
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MiddleWest
obviously trump is full of shyt

it seems like this article is implying that if someone else had won, they wouldnt be getting laid off. but obviously that isnt true either :dwillhuh:
Propaganda. Let’s shyt on Trump with facts ,not lies .

I will take pictures of the book US STEEL just sent out about 2018 hirings . My people got it yesterday and I was reading it . I know hella people who work for Ford and all these steel companies from Chicago to Indiana . They are all like 20 minutes from each other . Everyone grows up and works in them at some point .

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps

I will take pictures of the book US STEEL just sent out about 2018 hirings . My people got it yesterday and I was reading it . I know hella people who work for Ford and all these steel companies from Chicago to Indiana . They are all like 20 minutes from each other . Everyone grows up and works in them at some point .
I’m usually annoyed with your postings but I am fascinated by your familiarity of Gary and US steel.

So we know Trump is full of shyt and was a conman but what can someone who geniunely wants to appeal to the BLACK working class do to maybe create a reliable voting block in the future? From your experience with your peers what do you think will appeal on a mass scale with folks in places like Gary? You think the focus on “white working class” is misguided when there is a large segment of black working class and these tactics used to appeal to the WWC can be applied to the black working class too (my perspective)?

It may seem weird I’m asking this as a black person and I have some idea already what can be done. But I’m a city dude who is familiar with standard city work and city life. I know that while most people think of Midwestern as white bread flyover areas, I have also met a surprisingly sizeable amount of black folks who grew up in small rural towns in these areas. I knew one chick who grew up in a town of like 300 mostly black from Iowa I think or some place I can’t rmemebr where I assumed no black people would caught dead in.

Just interested in the perspective.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
As someone who lives close to ArcelorMittal in East Chicago Indiana and US STEEL in Gary Indiana . This entire article is a lie . :mjlol:

ArcelorMittal almost shut down twice before Trump even got in office .

They did a mass hiring and people from all over America came and tested for it . Then Obama allowed China to run wild .Eventually Obama stopped this, but the damage was already done . Thousands of layoffs .

Then there was also a problem with the oceans freezing. They had to send out ships to bust the ice up to get the ships to the ports . Just so they could make the steel .

I know multiple people who worked and are still working for US STEEL . I have spoke about it a million times on here .

US STEEL had to shut down there coke plants BECAUSE OF POLITICIANS .They has to shut down blasts furnaces BECAUSE OF POLITICIANS and that caused hundreds of people to lose there jobs . ArcelorMittal in return had to IDLE some of there production because of that. MORE LAYOFFS :francis:

It is not Trumps fault other politicians destroyed the steel industry to be trade partners with China .We make fun of China for building buildings in just a couple days . We say there standards aren’t up to par with ours . Then allow China to flood America with their steel . :francis:

This is what hurt these industries the most .

Also a fun fact,

The US STEEL plant in Gary Indiana found a way to create their own power for FREE and they were threatened by NISOURCE if they operated off that .:francis:

I bet that was a couple hundred jobs loss too . :francis:

A Region native such as myself, I live in Hobart. Anyways, the government wasn't going to be able to justify the subsidization of steel against cheaper imports. In this area, the steel mills built these cities and towns but when you look at them now, they are just husks from a prior time.

I wrote this last year as a synopsis of the election

*Incoming barrage of shyt to read*

In the Midwest and other places like it, it's about jobs, trade, TPP, etc. To exclude racism is dumb as a whole but a big part of his appeal was bring jobs back. Think about it, many towns were built on the backs of factories and once those factories began to shut their doors, close and move elsewhere, that left an economically depressed region. I live in Northwest Indiana now. US Steel and now Mittal Steel in our backyards as I've seen it personally. I go to Chicago by train to make a living.

Look at this chart

united-states-steel-production.png

Look at where that number, save for the economic crash in 2008, is stabilizing . About 7000-7500. Look at forty years ago. The last year to go above 10000 was the early 1980's. As the line goes down, as does the demand for jobs. To think that this trend is reversible to stupid at best. We can't engage in a trade war with someone like China because we lose that battle. We are not about to start throwing tariffs on any and everything and expect the world to take that lying down. Protectionism is bad. This next graph shows the concept of economies of scale when it comes to steel production.

OM256QU.jpg

Economies of scale is when it is advantageous for a country to produce a good. There has to be a reason while China completely overwhelms the #2 in 2015 and the #2 is a group of countries, not just one. Reason being is because their steel is subsidized by the government, allowing it to be cheaper than it should be, compared to market prices but purchasers around the world don't care about that, the bottom line is the bottom line.

In China-U.S. Trade War, Trump Would Have Weapons

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/business/international/trump-china-us-trade-war.html

The plant I used to work at, when it opened, had 5500 people, when I got there, 1700, when I left, 800, now under 500. Why? Automation and robots. Brehs, they are trying to put robots in pizza places and stores, of course they will in factories. Robots don't get hurt, abuse FMLA or call off work. Anyways, back to what I was saying about jobs not coming back.

Trump trade plans could trigger recession, stagflation, economists say

The Main Thieves Who Took Those Lost US Factory Jobs? Robots

Shift to automation may prevent Trump from delivering on his jobs promise

Trump's Biggest Hurdle Will Be Defeating A.I. in Factories | Inverse

Ultimately, as I said. He told the better lie. People will rightfully get selfish about their jobs and livelihood. However, the writing on the wall has been here forever, no one man is powerful enough, even the President of the United States, to stop the spread of globalization. It's here and it is here to stay.

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps
obviously trump is full of shyt

it seems like this article is implying that if someone else had won, they wouldnt be getting laid off. but obviously that isnt true either :dwillhuh:

obviously theres US buyers for this cheaper inferior steel
and yes this has been a long time coming, started way before Cheeto

but
the article does make clear that with all his rah rah big talk he actually worsened things
"were gonna do bigly tarrifs!" "we are gonna make sure this that and the third doesnt ever happen again cause i have the best brain!"

he continually lets his mouth write checks that somebody elses ass is gonna have to cash.
he doesnt give a fukk, these people are cutting back on Christmas for their kids
and the dotard is raking in millions by the day sitting in the white house and profiting in every way possible

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I just be sitting here shaking my head at all this shyt.

It really shocks me that these things are unclear.

Trump can't save no muff hugging jobs anymore than he can put horse drawn carriages back on the road.

The American is making $60K to work the steel.

For the same $60K you have 3 Chinese people to work.

The American gets paid 8 hours a day but works 4. Maybe.

The Chinese workers will sleep in that motherfukcer if the have to.

So you have about 10× the manpower for the same $60K.

Trump nor Jesus can do anything about those numbers. The jobs are already gone the rest of this hand wringing is all about not wanting to fully admit it.

The workers are so upset cause they have no skills that will take them to another job. That's what your ass should have been going when you FIRST heard shyt was getting sketchy.

Beg. Plead. March. Pray. Doesn't matter. Companies are GOING to do things the most cost effective way. Or they will be former businesses.

Quit bytching for Chrissakes. Some people used to make paper maps. Some used to make phone books. Encyclopedia salesmen. Travel agents.

Change is the only constant Brehs. Take some coding classes or sumn but mostly hush with the bullshyt.

Colilluminati

TAMRON HALL STAN
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MiddleWest
what can someone who geniunely wants to appeal to the BLACK working class do to maybe create a reliable voting block in the future? From your experience with your peers what do you think will appeal on a mass scale with folks in places like Gary?.

Democrats have the black working class on lock and that is the problem. This is why these cities suffer . And when I say shyt like that it’s not because I think the republicans are better . Democrats have ruined cities like Gary .

Colilluminati

TAMRON HALL STAN
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MiddleWest
A Region native such as myself, I live in Hobart. Anyways, the government wasn't going to be able to justify the subsidization of steel against cheaper imports. In this area, the steel mills built these cities and towns but when you look at them now, they are just husks from a prior time.

I wrote this last year as a synopsis of the election

I don’t blame robots or Trump .

Colilluminati

TAMRON HALL STAN
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MiddleWest
I just be sitting here shaking my head at all this shyt.

It really shocks me that these things are unclear.

Trump can't save no muff hugging jobs anymore than he can put horse drawn carriages back on the road.

The American is making $60K to work the steel.

For the same $60K you have 3 Chinese people to work.

The American gets paid 8 hours a day but works 4. Maybe.

The Chinese workers will sleep in that motherfukcer if the have to.

So you have about 10× the manpower for the same $60K.

Trump nor Jesus can do anything about those numbers. The jobs are already gone the rest of this hand wringing is all about not wanting to fully admit it.

The workers are so upset cause they have no skills that will take them to another job. That's what your ass should have been going when you FIRST heard shyt was getting sketchy.

Beg. Plead. March. Pray. Doesn't matter. Companies are GOING to do things the most cost effective way. Or they will be former businesses.

Quit bytching for Chrissakes. Some people used to make paper maps. Some used to make phone books. Encyclopedia salesmen. Travel agents.

Change is the only constant Brehs. Take some coding classes or sumn but mostly hush with the bullshyt.
You don’t know what your talking about .

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team

You make valid points and I agree. This is how debates should work, instead of closing your eyes and screaming “lalalala the earth is flat and 6000 years old”