Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
IPOB is Opendoor, an online real estate company. Everything they do has been discussed several pages back but it's no longer a SPAC.. that merger closed already.

IPOC is Clover Health.. we first heard about these acquisitions through Chamath himself and since he had a good track record with SPCE people look into these companies like anything else to see what they're about. @Serious calls on SPACs, I call out SPACs..

I don't invest in everything. I posted the sites that track SPACs and I look into what they are trying to bring to the market..
I guess what I'm saying is people are buying and selling shares of let's say IPOD. Is this just gambling or something? IPOD is a guy's name and a promise to do something in the future with money.

I used to think buying an IPO was one of the more riskier things you could do but this sounds 2x as risky. This is even past angel investing because at least when you do that you have an actual pitch for a company you can put thought into.

I guess a positive is if I bought Lyft at IPO it was over $80 a share and it still hasn't recovered to that. If I buy IPOD it's like $12-$13 a share and if it fails at least it's not $80 per share.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Im going downsize the shyt Im in for sure but Im holding the bft stocks I have till I see how much they appreciate with the merger.

Thinking long term ones for me will be
Appl
Nio
Ttcf
Planet 13
Start fractions on tesla

Im actually not adverse to risky shyt now that I think about it because Im not putting in enough that if it all went to 0 Id be doomed. I still got 6+ months of living expenses regardless of my current investments. But I think itd be a good idea to be safer atm since Im a noob :yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I guess what I'm saying is people are buying and selling shares of let's say IPOD. Is this just gambling or something? IPOD is a guy's name and a promise to do something in the future with money.

Buying IPOD would be closer to gambling because there's no actual company, it's just a plan to acquire one. So yes, you would just be investing in Chamath himself.

However, it's not like an IPO until the merger date.

The floor is $10 on most of these SPACs. It can't go much lower than ten typically until after the merger occurs. So if you get into it early you have a lot of upside with very little downside risk..

Once the merger happens it's like any other company. It'll sink or swim.

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA

I used to think buying an IPO was one of the more riskier things you could do but this sounds 2x as risky. This is even past angel investing because at least when you do that you have an actual pitch for a company you can put thought into.

I guess a positive is if I bought Lyft at IPO it was over $80 a share and it still hasn't recovered to that. If I buy IPOD it's like $12-$13 a share and if it fails at least it's not $80 per share.
With SPACs, management/investors is a key component when determining which one to park some $ in. No one has a better track record with SPACS than Chamath. SPCE, MP, INAQ, IPOB, IPOC. All bangers.

There's some opportunity cost putting money in SPACs that don't have targets yet, but if you can get in the 10's, the downside is minimal.