Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Booker’s Drug Safety Excuse Doesn’t Add Up
Safety standards were never threatened by Klobachur-Sanders Amendment
by Esha Krishanaswamyabout 5 hours ago

cory-booker-2.jpg

Cory Booker and 12 other Democrats voted against a bill to import prescription drugs from Canada. His defense doesn't add up. (Credit: The City of Newark’s Office of Communications)

Last week, when the Senate voted on the annual budget resolutions, an amendment known as the Klobachur-Sanders amendment failed to pass in the Senate. It seemed like an innocuous enough measure to allow people to lower their prescription drug prices in the U.S. through selective importation from Canada. What was shocking was that despite getting the support of 12 republicans, 13 democrats voted against it and therefore it failed.

No one received more heat for this vote than Senator Cory Booker, whose name has been floated around as a possible presidential candidate for the Democratic Party in 2020.

With all the lies and disinformation, it can be confusing, so let’s “Correct The Record,” so to speak.

Booker’s Responded To the Backlash and Defended His Vote
Booker issued the following statement to Jezebel defending his vote:

I support the importation of prescription drugs as a key part of a strategy to help control the skyrocketing cost of medications. Any plan to allow the importation of prescription medications should also include consumer protections that ensure foreign drugs meet American safety standards. I opposed an amendment put forward last night that didn’t meet this test. The rising cost of medications is a life-and-death issue for millions of Americans, which is why I also voted for amendments last night that bring drug prices down and protect Medicare’s prescription drug benefit. I’m committed to finding solutions that allow for prescription drug importation with adequate safety standards.

In a subsequent tweet, Booker referred to his support of the Wyden Amendment as evidence for his support for lower drug prices, suggesting that the Wyden Amendment meets the “American safety standards” that he was calling for:

I voted yes on the Wyden Amendment to lower drug costs – It mandated finding savings to drive down drug costs. https://t.co/E8wh5xUs1b

Booker Lied About the Wyden Amendment
Unfortunately, if one examines the Wyden Amendment, it’s not what Booker purports. If you look at the text of the Wyden Amendment, there are three sections as shown below: A section to highlight general facts about the Amendment, then a few points to embarrass the President-Elect and the Republicans before arriving at the actual section that states the language of the Amendment.

— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) January 12, 2017

However, in this environment, it is important to understand what exactly they were voting for and what the Amendments really mean.

wyden-amendment.jpg

The language of the amendment provides for the following:

wyden-amendment-2.jpg

So as shown in the image above, the Wyden Amendment would establish a “point of order” if a senator brings forth a legislative measure that doesn’t lower drug prices. But to understand what this really means, we must understand what a “point of order” is in the first place.

What Is a Point of Order?
In the Senate, when a vote goes to the floor, a senator can raise a “point of order” or a complaint that the measure is violating a prescribed rule in the Senate. For purposes of illustration, let’s say there is a hypothetical rule in the Senate that bars senators from voting if they wear a blue tie.

Rule 4357: Senators cannot vote on a bill if they wear a blue tie.

In our hypothetical scenario, suppose Senator A comes to the floor wearing a blue tie, another senator can raise a “point of order” by saying: “I raise a point of order that Senator A is in violation of Rule 4357 by wearing a blue tie.” The rules of the Senate allow for the Chair to respond with these three options:

1. Sustain it
  2. Reject it
  3. Open it up for a vote
If the Chair sustains the Point of Order, it means that the Chair agrees that there is a violation, and may require compliance before putting it into a vote in front of the whole Senate. Generally, complying with points of order is non-trivial, and often they serve a more sinister purpose. It can be used to delay a bill or even permanently pigeon-hole it. For example, let’s say a few weeks before election day, a particularly controversial bill come to vote on the floor. If a senator wants to avoid taking a position on the bill for whatever reason, they may raise a point of order on a “technicality,” quite similar to the hypothetical scenario mentioned earlier. The Chair could then send the bill back to a committee or adjourn it for a few weeks until “compliance” with the point of order. Given that there are many points of orders, it is possible to strategically delay certain bills for years.

Another strange procedural quirk is that once the Chair rules on the point of order, there is very little recourse for the other senator. The senator may appeal the point of order. Generally, when there is a point of order, there are rules prescribing how many votes are needed to “overrule” the Chair.

Explaining the Wyden Amendment
The Wyden Amendment prescribes a procedure for waiving and appealing a point of order that it raises. If the Chair sustains the point of order, and an opposition member wants to appeal it, he will need the support of 60 senators. Alternatively, in order to appeal the Chair’s ruling, you will also need 60 senators.

wyden-amendment-3.jpg

The practical effect of this scenario is that if a bill were to hypothetically violate the Wyden amendment (i.e. the bill does not lower drug prices), and the Chair agrees, the most likely scenario is that it will be sent back to the committee to be “fixed.”

Explaining the Klobachur-Sanders Amendment
In comparison, the Klobachur-Sanders amendment provides for a resolution from the Budget Committee. In order to enact federal programs, the Senate Budget Committee needs to give “instructions” in the form of a resolution. For example, if the Senate Budget Committee provides a resolution to spend an X amount of dollars on Y, then it is an instruction for the appropriations committee that the committee cannot go over the allocated amount. In other words, the budget committee allocates the maximum available money for any program, and the other committees figure out how to implement the finer details of the legislation.

In plain English, the Klobachur-Sanders bill would give the subcommittee authority to use a set amount of dollars for the importation of drugs from Canada.

On his Facebook post, Cory Booker cited “safety concerns” as the reason for not voting for the Klobuchar-Sanders amendment. However, given the current regulatory framework (explained below), this is a disingenuous claim on the part of the senator.

In 1987, recognizing the increased multinational nature of the pharmaceutical industry, Congress passed a measure to regulate the importation of prescription drugs from other countries, given certain regulatory standards are met. [See below]

sanders-amendment.jpg

Based on the 1987 statute, Congress already provides strict guidelines within the pharmaceutical supply chain for importing drugs.

Booker Lied About Safety Concerns
Currently, it is legal for certain type of entities to import drugs from Canada, but there’s a catch: Only manufacturers from Canada can do it, and as long as they are early enough in the supply chain. Wholesalers and individuals (pharmacists), however, cannot import from Canada.

As a result of this restriction, Drug companies in Canada cannot decide on the price based on free market or profitability. Instead, in Canada, before sending their drugs to wholesalers or pharmacists, the Drug company must appear in front of a regulatory board known as the “Patented Medicine Price Review Board.”

PMPRB.jpg

The PMPRB sets the drug prices based on CPI and the average price in other countries. Because of this board, Canadians pay on average 67% less than Americans. This means that for every $100 Americans pay for drugs, Canadians only pay $33. The Klobachur-Sanders Amendment would have allowed wholesalers and individuals to import drugs from Canada at the lower price set forth by the PMPRB.

sanders-amendment-2.jpg

Safety standards were never threatened by this Amendment. As I mentioned earlier, we already import drugs from Canada, and they must pass strict safety standards — the only difference is that we have to pay more for them.

Booker’s Drug Safety Excuse Doesn’t Add Up

ineedsleep212

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I'm gonna read this, but I take issue with the author of this piece using Booker as the face of the pharma industry.

Articles like this should clearly list out each and every senator who voted for or against the bill.
Yea, I think folks should be more mad at all rather than one, but I think he's the target mainly due to obvious presidential aspirations and was one of the clearest favorites of the establishment as soon as Hillary took that L in November. He's clearly trying to position himself as a contender and doing things like speaking against Jeff Sessions on some I'm a man of the people shyt as if we wouldn't notice this stuff.

It's the youthful classic politician look with the automatic consideration by the press that has folks targeting him.

People are more engaged in politics than before, so I expect more shyt like this for all.

ineedsleep212

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Bernie takes less money than only two people in the senate from big Pharma. :sas2:

Booker supported the Wyden bill which does far more... :mjpls:
Again, the article mentions the Wyden Amendment so go read that. And Bernie took money from individuals who work in the industry(not corporate lobbyists) during a presidential campaign. Quit lying and then expecting folks to take you serious.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Again, the article mentions the Wyden Amendment so go read that. And Bernie took money from individuals who work in the industry(not corporate lobbyists) during a presidential campaign. Quit lying and then expecting folks to take you serious.
:smh:

Last edited by a moderator:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
:martin: You know what. Forget it. :hubie::hubie::hubie:
What do you know about translational medicine? As in the process to go from an idea to a fully fledged Pharma company?

I've done case studies on this. Research and all. Even participated in a few translational project.

Heres what you don't understand about Cory Booker for example.

fukk the donations.

NJ is home to most of the Pharma companies in the country. In fact, the tri-state area is home to most Pharma companies and related medically related companies.

The USA BY FAR leads other industries in that regard...so much so, that other countries keep ripping our shyt off with generics. And you know R&D is incredible expensive, not to mention maintaining enough of a competitive edge via the supply chain to ensure quality product AND patent protection.

You can't keep talking about this shyt as if NJ and other tri-state residents who by proxy of taxes AND jobs wouldn't be hurt by this.

Theres more to this than the bottom line.

Part of governing is about maintaining a social order, by way of employment, commerce, and opportunity for NJ residents to even be able to support themselves.

Related industries would take a massive hit.

You can't sacrifice the most innovative corridor and the most important region of medical development for the sake of "lowering prices"

The goal should be to fix healthcare, NOT to circumvent that with a bill meant to cover your ass by ignoring the root problem, which is insurance negotiation and universal healthcare.

You keep refusing to understand the complexity of these arguments and then cry foul when you don't get your way.

This is what I was telling about about this purity politics bullshyt and you caught a little bytch-fit about it.

The Nihilistic Purity of the Far Left Will Kill Us All

You don't say shyt about Bernie's farm subsidies, do you?

Last edited:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Bernie takes less money than only two people in the senate from big Pharma. :sas2:
5 ways Bernie Sanders is leading the fight against Big Pharma’s unconscionable greed

1. Hillary Clinton takes more donations from Big Pharma than any other candidate in either party.

Sanders has accepted zero dollars from the pharmaceutical industry. Perhaps in response to Sanders’ plan to reduce drug costs— which he announced right out of the gate— the former Secretary of State entered the primaries revealing her comparable plan to tackle the issue.

2. This is not a new fight for Sanders. Back when he was a congressman in 1999, Sanders led seniors across Vermont’s Canadian border to purchase their medications at cheaper Canadian rates. Sanders’ position on drug prices has not wavered since then.

3. Sanders voted against Obama’s nominee for new head of the FDA due to his Big Pharma ties.

When President Obama announced his decision to nominate Michael Califf as the new head of the Food and Drug Administration in January, Sanders formally blocked the choice, citing Califf’s close ties to Big Pharma.

4. Sanders has named the overprescription of opioids a cause of the nation’s heroin epidemic.

5. Sanders thinks medical marijuana should be legal nationwide; he’s also in favor of ending federal pot prohibition.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
5 ways Bernie Sanders is leading the fight against Big Pharma’s unconscionable greed

1. Hillary Clinton takes more donations from Big Pharma than any other candidate in either party.

Sanders has accepted zero dollars from the pharmaceutical industry. Perhaps in response to Sanders’ plan to reduce drug costs— which he announced right out of the gate— the former Secretary of State entered the primaries revealing her comparable plan to tackle the issue.

2. This is not a new fight for Sanders. Back when he was a congressman in 1999, Sanders led seniors across Vermont’s Canadian border to purchase their medications at cheaper Canadian rates. Sanders’ position on drug prices has not wavered since then.

3. Sanders voted against Obama’s nominee for new head of the FDA due to his Big Pharma ties.

When President Obama announced his decision to nominate Michael Califf as the new head of the Food and Drug Administration in January, Sanders formally blocked the choice, citing Califf’s close ties to Big Pharma.

4. Sanders has named the overprescription of opioids a cause of the nation’s heroin epidemic.

5. Sanders thinks medical marijuana should be legal nationwide; he’s also in favor of ending federal pot prohibition.
Bernie lives in Vermont.

Booker lives in NJ.

Do I need to show you a map? :stopitslime:

How the fukk don't y'all understand regional concerns for constituents?

Booker lives in a wealthier state thats infinitely more populous and has a larger responsibility when it comes to protecting the industry in his community.

The goal should be comprehensive healthcare.

Allowing people to buy drugs across the border HURTS the US's dominance on pharmaceuticals.

and dude...did you seriously claim Banderas as the "sole" arbiter of the opioid crisis? Well no fukking shyt. Its only white people in Vermont doing that shyt in the Heroin Capital of the COUNTRY. But how selfish of You to assign that solely to him :dahell: :what:

I support full legalization, and however, this is why on the flip-side, Booker is limited by big Pharma in ways I don't support.

But you can't talk about these complex issues without understanding them.

Medical policy is hard, complex, and is very risky and y'all are totally unequipped to even discuss the basics in here. :snoop:

Costs are NOT the only thing at play here, especially when more and more companies are doing slick shyt like stashing cash in places like Ireland.

This shyt goes over 99% of your heads.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Yea, I think folks should be more mad at all rather than one, but I think he's the target mainly due to obvious presidential aspirations and was one of the clearest favorites of the establishment as soon as Hillary took that L in November. He's clearly trying to position himself as a contender and doing things like speaking against Jeff Sessions on some I'm a man of the people shyt as if we wouldn't notice this stuff.

It's the youthful classic politician look with the automatic consideration by the press that has folks targeting him.

People are more engaged in politics than before, so I expect more shyt like this for all.
Well yes, I agree with everything you stated.

However, my issue with this is that progressive arguments are being hijacked by conservatives. I know that the author is a progressive. I know that she's making an argument from a progressive standpoint. I know that the argument is FOR progressives trying to strengthen liberal politics. But it is clear after this election that disingenuous voters will attempt to use this article and Cory Booker's record with pharma against the entire Democratic establishment. This same critique will not be leveled at Republicans. It will not be leveled against republican principles. It will not be leveled against conservatives. And no one but Democrats will suffer at the polls - despite the fact that Democrats have been fighting to establish better drug pricing for decades.

This is the deception of "anyone but Hillary" or "Trump and Hillary are just as corrupt".

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bernie lives in Vermont.

Booker lives in NJ.

Do I need to show you a map? :stopitslime:

How the fukk don't y'all understand regional concerns for constituents?

Booker lives in a wealthier state thats infinitely more populous and has a larger responsibility when it comes to protecting the industry in his community.

The goal should be comprehensive healthcare.

Allowing people to buy drugs across the border HURTS the US's dominance on pharmaceuticals.

and dude...did you seriously claim Banderas as the "sole" arbiter of the opioid crisis? Well no fukking shyt. Its only white people in Vermont doing that shyt in the Heroin Capital of the COUNTRY. But how selfish of You to assign that solely to him :dahell: :what:

I support full legalization, and however, this is why on the flip-side, Booker is limited by big Pharma in ways I don't support.

But you can't talk about these complex issues without understanding them.

Medical policy is hard, complex, and is very risky and y'all are totally unequipped to even discuss the basics in here. :snoop:

Costs are NOT the only thing at play here, especially when more and more companies are doing slick shyt like stashing cash in places like Ireland.

This shyt goes over 99% of your heads.

Please help me find the answer to the statement below in the rant above