Boxing's Most Overhyped Fighters (Past and Present)

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
that valero-mosquera fight was some good shyt..linares wasn't overhyped..he just lost in ways that made you scratch your head

Salgado ended that boys dreams forever real talk. Now mares is in that same position after getting sparked by Gonzalez. By that i mean young and getting slept

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
joe mesi - i never thought dude was anything to write about it except he was white and was knocking lower level cats out..hated the way he was hyped by hbo esp after he put TOS to sleep in 1...first came the close shave against monte barrett then came the jirov fight in which he was lucky he didn't get ko'ed..the brain bleeds he picked from that fight however virtually ended his career

he was overhyped for good reason though. he was the pride of upstate NY. he was a lot better than the scrub I made him out to be. he was a product of a region needing something to cheer for.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
let's not forget about Panchito Bojado. The precursor to Victor Ortiz. Speaking of which, Ortiz was very hyped. I thought he couldve fulfilled a lot of his promise though but Maidana made him a changed man.

I tell people that all the time. Maidana change that boy life. Had him contemplating new career paths and shyt.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Problem with this thread is that could name a good number of fighters

The majority of fighters are typically over hyped before they have done anything to justify that hype.

You have networks, specifically HBO, who are eager for that next big star.

You have boxing fans who are eager for that next big star. Boxing fans are so easy to con. You put a guy in there against competition they are suppose to beat & fans are ready to proclaim that man is the next big thing.

However you can't put any of the blame on the fighters. I think due to the disappointment of not living of to the standards fans may have had for them, that a lot of them have become underrated.

Best way to see if someone is "that niigga" is just to let them fight & see if they can get through it. You'll see guys prove themselves on Showtime & HBO come through & snatch them up.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Problem with this thread is that could name a good number of fighters

The majority of fighters are typically over hyped before they have done anything to justify that hype.

You have networks, specifically HBO, who are eager for that next big star.

You have boxing fans who are eager for that next big star. Boxing fans are so easy to con. You put a guy in there against competition they are suppose to beat & fans are ready to proclaim that man is the next big thing.

However you can't put any of the blame on the fighters. I think due to the disappointment of not living of to the standards fans may have had for them, that a lot of them have become underrated.

Best way to see if someone is "that niigga" is just to let them fight & see if they can get through it. You'll see guys prove themselves on Showtime & HBO come through & snatch them up.

yes, perhaps I should rename the thread to say "RIDICULOUSLY OVERHYPED"

as I said, those that fit that category to me that immediately come to mind is Taylor and Cotto. Most Olympians that fight above 122 and have punching power fall in this category. I am not putting the blame on the fighters but they have to accept some blame for not working on their craft to fulfill that promise. Anyone with eyes shouldve seen Taylor was pushed into replacing BHop, meanwhile he had serious flaws. BHop is a GOAT, but as hyped as Taylor was with his strength and youth, he shouldnt have struggled with an old man like that. Shouldve done like Oscar did to Chavez. I know...I know...BHop shut out Pavlik, but Pavlik wasnt overhyped prematurely. He was relatively unknown and came up and beat Taylor who was HBO's Golden Boy at the time.

Zahir Raheem doesnt fit this profile as he didnt really have an exciting style. Non-Olympians dont come with that built in hype. Tim Bradley and Devon Alexander come to mind. Respected early in their careers but they had to fight their way up.

If anyone can follow what I am saying, I just dont like when guys are built up prematurely and in the process being fed fights that arent quality. Different scenario but if these guys are that good, especially Olympians, let them fight somebody and learn like. They dont want to wreck a potential money train but at the same time, they are setting the fighters up for short careers...like Taylor was and Wilder soon will be.

Look at the top P4P fighters. How many of them were severely overhyped? where are the overhyped fighters that you would think should be on these lists according to their hype?

Manny, Bradley, Sergio, Swift, Marquez, Froch. None of those guys came in under a blaze of glory. Only Floyd and Ward were hyped and they werent overhyped I dont believe...they were underdogs in fights early in their careers. The only guy that consistently appears in top 10 lists that I feel was overhyped is Canelo. He still can prove me wrong but I doubt it.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yes, perhaps I should rename the thread to say "RIDICULOUSLY OVERHYPED"

as I said, those that fit that category to me that immediately come to mind is Taylor and Cotto. Most Olympians that fight above 122 and have punching power fall in this category. I am not putting the blame on the fighters but they have to accept some blame for not working on their craft to fulfill that promise. Anyone with eyes shouldve seen Taylor was pushed into replacing BHop, meanwhile he had serious flaws. BHop is a GOAT, but as hyped as Taylor was with his strength and youth, he shouldnt have struggled with an old man like that. Shouldve done like Oscar did to Chavez. I know...I know...BHop shut out Pavlik, but Pavlik wasnt overhyped prematurely. He was relatively unknown and came up and beat Taylor who was HBO's Golden Boy at the time.

Zahir Raheem doesnt fit this profile as he didnt really have an exciting style. Non-Olympians dont come with that built in hype. Tim Bradley and Devon Alexander come to mind. Respected early in their careers but they had to fight their way up.

If anyone can follow what I am saying, I just dont like when guys are built up prematurely and in the process being fed fights that arent quality. Different scenario but if these guys are that good, especially Olympians, let them fight somebody and learn like. They dont want to wreck a potential money train but at the same time, they are setting the fighters up for short careers...like Taylor was and Wilder soon will be.

Look at the top P4P fighters. How many of them were severely overhyped? where are the overhyped fighters that you would think should be on these lists according to their hype?

Manny, Bradley, Sergio, Swift, Marquez, Froch. None of those guys came in under a blaze of glory. Only Floyd and Ward were hyped and they werent overhyped I dont believe...they were underdogs in fights early in their careers. The only guy that consistently appears in top 10 lists that I feel was overhyped is Canelo. He still can prove me wrong but I doubt it.

My dude I am like the worst person to enter into threads like these because I literally take all the fun out of it.

I just see boxing completely different from most. I don't even look at boxing like it's even sport anymore. I love the sport, but I see it for what it is. It's just a business & boxing happens to be part of it.

Hyping a fighter is simply part of the business, regardless if these dudes are the real deal or not. I just don't see how a fan educated on the sport would allow hype to even bother them. If you have fans on message boards, who can obviously see you have a flawed fighter being hyped, then there has got to be people in those circles who actually go to these fights, training camps, etc & who know this as well.

Your also looking at this long term, when there are short term plans made as well.

Let's take Taylor-Hopkins.

They HAD to hype someone to beat Hopkins. They needed to get people to believe. There was really no else at 160 at the time. They were able to market it as Young lion vs Old lion. Most importantly, they created enough hype it allowed HBO to air BOTH fights on PPV.

I don't really care to argue who won the fights. A more interesting question is do I believe that HBO truly felt that Taylor would be able to hold down that spot for the long term? That would have been ideal for hbo, but JT was such a beatable guy I would like to believe they were realistic about his reign at 160.

Getting Hopkins out of there seemed to be more of a priority. After that horrible fight with Howard Eastman, I believe HBO wanted to be done with him.

Last edited:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My dude I am like the worst person to enter into threads like these because I literally take all the fun out of it.

I just see boxing completely different from most. I don't even look at boxing like it's even sport anymore. I love the sport, but I see it for what it is. It's just a business & boxing happens to be part of it.

Hyping a fighter is simply part of the business, regardless if these dudes are the real deal or not. I just don't see how a fan educated on the sport would allow hype to even bother them. If you have fans on message boards, who can obviously see you have a flawed fighter being hyped, then there has got to be people in those circles who actually go to these fights, training camps, etc & who know this as well.

Your also looking at this long term, when there are short term plans made as well.

Let's take Taylor-Hopkins.

They HAD to hype someone to beat Hopkins. They needed to get people to believe. There was really no else at 160 at the time. They were able to market it as Young lion vs Old lion. Most importantly, they created enough hype it allowed HBO to air BOTH fights on PPV.

I don't really care to argue who won the fights. A more interesting question is do I believe that HBO truly felt that Taylor would be able to hold down that spot for the long term? That would have been ideal for hbo, but JT was such a beatable guy I would like to believe they were realistic about his reign at 160.

Getting Hopkins out of there seemed to be more of a priority. After that horrible fight with Howard Eastman, I believe HBO wanted to be done with him.

I see it just like you do. Exactly the same way.

I do let it bother me because I feel it takes away the integrity of the sport and it also fosters complacency in fighters. I feel the same way about all these kids that arent ready for the NBA. On one hand, I am happy for anyone who can get a good paycheck. At what expense though? Its better to be prepared to be in the game at least until you can comfortably retire.

My issue isnt with the fighter or the network/promoters.....they are all doing their jobs. It just gets ridiculous to a point how gullible people are. I mean you had people that actually thought Canelo was gonna beat Floyd. :what: Some people here thought Canelo would give a good go of it...but the rest of us were like :camby:

And its not that Floyd is unbeatable. There was just never any evidence whatsoever that shed any light on Canelo being able to trouble Floyd in the slightest. For promotion sake, it worked though...and now they have to find someone else to do it with.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
the bolded youre not the only one breh lol...sam peter is from my mother's tribe..i had to support my nigerian breh...i enjoyed his reign as heavyweight champ..but his lack of conditioning eventually caught up to him
all that Jollof rice and fufu got the better of the nigerian nightmare. I want Necks!!

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Judah he hasn't done shyt since he KO'd Spinks in 04 or 05 how he still headlining shows.

Because he has a name that casuals recognize, a solid fanbase still, and is easy to work with (he isn't signed to TR or GBP).

Its sort of like Miguel Cotto who is only 6-4 in his last 10 fights, but he's about to get about 10 million to headline a PPV in Madison Square Garden:wow: Cotto has a name, following, and is easy to work with:manny:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Pavlik came out of no where. I remember seeing him on Shobox and thinking he was gonna be a world champ. Not sure who overhyped him after that. I surely didnt because I picked Paul Williams to beat him...but that fight never happened and I thought they were fools for picking Serge. I didnt expect him to beat BHop either, although I didnt expect it to be that lopsided.

Mitchell was horrible. First decent fighter he faced was gonna get in his ass.

Linares...:yeshrug:I didnt expect him to lose the fights he lost, the way he lost them, and as close to each other as they were.

Pavlik/Miranda fight, no?

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pavlik/Miranda fight, no?

Pavlik is white so of course there was some appeal, especially once he became champ. I dont feel he was prematurely hyped. He was deserving. Once you get on HBO then it doesnt matter who you are, you are getting overhyped.

I dont feel Miranda was overhyped. I personally overrated him. I still think he couldve been better if he couldve stayed at 160 and had a great trainer consistently.