Boxing's Most Overhyped Fighters (Past and Present)

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Pavlik is white so of course there was some appeal, especially once he became champ. I dont feel he was prematurely hyped. He was deserving. Once you get on HBO then it doesnt matter who you are, you are getting overhyped.

I dont feel Miranda was overhyped. I personally overrated him. I still think he couldve been better if he couldve stayed at 160 and had a great trainer consistently.

miranda was optimal at 160...had he stayed a little longer he would have picked up a belt...168 he was still good and maintained his power..the problem was the caliber of fighters there he faced were better....he's a low activity punching bag at 175 and its a shame

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Pavlik is white so of course there was some appeal, especially once he became champ. I dont feel he was prematurely hyped. He was deserving. Once you get on HBO then it doesnt matter who you are, you are getting overhyped.

I dont feel Miranda was overhyped. I personally overrated him. I still think he couldve been better if he couldve stayed at 160 and had a great trainer consistently.

Sorry my bad. I meant was the Pavlik/Miranda fight, the start of the Pavlik's GWH talk. Miranda was favourite and coming off a win off Green going into the fight and the talk iirc was that Miranda was tryin to get a Abraham rematch

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sorry my bad. I meant was the Pavlik/Miranda fight, the start of the Pavlik's GWH talk. Miranda was favourite and coming off a win off Green going into the fight and the talk iirc was that Miranda was tryin to get a Abraham rematch

Honestly, that was a fight I had forgotten about. but yes, HBO had already began building steam for Pav because I believe he was on the undercard of a BaD card with Arce the fight before. The Miranda fight was the perfect set up fight. Then they bring him in for a shot at Taylor. HBO knew Taylor wasnt gonna last long after how he struggled with BHop, got a gift draw against Winky, and had some difficulty with Ouma and Spinks....two JMWs. Pavlik was in the right place at the right time basically. HBO just shouldve known he wasnt gonna be champ for long either. He just didnt deal with movement well. I knew that Serge fight was dangerous as hell....and figured they just didnt have any other good options to be taking it.

Willy Waffle

Willy Da Waffleman
Daps
Reppin
#GIANTS #KNICKS #RANGERS
how the fuk i miss this thread :bryan:
Rocky Juarez :snoop: probably the most overhyped guy to come out of the Olympics, how the fuk you guys miss him. Sure he can crack with that left hook but other than that i never saw the "IT" factor people claimed he had to be the next great mexican fighter.

Michael Grant, talk about a HBO hype machine. IF anyone watch the build up to the lewis fight you would really think he was gonna be the next great american heavy weight

few other guys in the last 10 years who I felt were hyped as well but nothing like grant and juarez

joel julio
anthony thompson
domminick guinn :snoop:
juan guzman :snoop: :snoop: :snoop:
kid diamond (:salute: to nate campbell to ending the hype train, some was calling this guy the next koysta tszyu :wtf:)

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
how the fuk i miss this thread :bryan:
Rocky Juarez :snoop: probably the most overhyped guy to come out of the Olympics, how the fuk you guys miss him. Sure he can crack with that left hook but other than that i never saw the "IT" factor people claimed he had to be the next great mexican fighter.

Michael Grant, talk about a HBO hype machine. IF anyone watch the build up to the lewis fight you would really think he was gonna be the next great american heavy weight

few other guys in the last 10 years who I felt were hyped as well but nothing like grant and juarez

joel julio
anthony thompson
domminick guinn :snoop:
juan guzman :snoop: :snoop: :snoop:
kid diamond (:salute: to nate campbell to ending the hype train, some was calling this guy the next koysta tszyu :wtf:)

guinn makes me scratch my head.ive never seen a fighter look beastly in one fight; then look listless in the next fight..i remember @synistr breaking down on why he thought that was
guzman has or had the talent but discipline..forget it
i honestly can't figure out what went wrong with joel julio :patrice:..but he did body K9 on national TV and it was a wonderful fight :steviej:
rocky even in this era of alphabet titles never picked up one..he's like guinn in terms of consistent fight performance
kid diamond - that draw with casamayor had ppl thnking he was legit then nate beat him like he stole something lol

Last edited:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Dat Nikkka Willy Waffle
@patscorpio

I dont think Guinn was overhyped. He looked good, but then mentally he just couldnt get there. Seems like he was too much of a nice guy and his training likely played a part in why he was so listless.

Guzman was pure boxing talent and ability. Definitely not overhyped. Floyd Sr loved that guy.

Joel Julio was overhyped. They got too excited over him but when he stepped up in competition, that was it. He couldve been better but I think too many soft fights didnt prepare him.

I always thought Rocky wasnt shyt. He was a very average fighter.

Kid Diamond..... :wow: he was just waiting for an experienced fighter to take advantage of that defense. :snoop:

Daps
I will keep it simple

Amir Khan

Spent the majority of his career fight guys who were either in the worst spot of their career or known for being headcases moves up a level in comp and starts getting into very close fights and as of late rocked by guys who are much smaller than him

honorable mention
Rocky Juarez

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I will keep it simple

Amir Khan

Spent the majority of his career fight guys who were either in the worst spot of their career or known for being headcases moves up a level in comp and starts getting into very close fights and as of late rocked by guys who are much smaller than him

honorable mention
Rocky Juarez

no question Khan was hyped like hell. I remember people were calling him "Con" before Prescott got to him. it was more of a popularity thing with him though because he had a lot of detractors iirc that knew he wasnt going to be a great champion. I actually like him and enjoy watching him fight. He just never had anything that made him any more special than anyone else.

Willy Waffle

Willy Da Waffleman
Daps
Reppin
#GIANTS #KNICKS #RANGERS
I remember I had high hopes for Vivan Harris..... the fuk was I thinking :snoop:

u know what, i thought he was gonna have a decent career. after the 2nd urkal fight i felt he was gonna make noise at 140 but then came the maussa fight :snoop: he was just tooooooooooo anxious being on a big stage like that and was going for the ko from the start. the witter fight just put the nail in the coffin for him, i was completely disappointed in him.

theres been alot of bad business moves in the sport of boxing but none worst than vivian turning down 750k to fight hatton because he felt he deserve more money due to being wba champ. :wtf: that made non sense what so ever because right after that he went to germany to fight urkal not once but TWICE for 200K. i always felt at that time vivan would stop hatton but who knows :manny:

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Left Hook Lacey
The Quiet Man
Cotto before he beat Shane
Nonito
Fernando Vargas

Most good white fighters. Ski Da Gawd definitely aint no racist but the "Great White Hype" agenda in boxing would make you think Mickey Ward and Arturo Gatti were legends because of their legendary fights against EACH OTHER.

I don't know what to say about Vargas. Unlike a lot of guys who get pampered for years and years before they do anything (Wilder, Russell Jr., Vernon Forrest), Vargas fought Yori Boy, Raul Marquez, Winky Wright, Quartey and Tito within 4 years of his debut and only lost 1 of those fights. That's wild. Obviously, his career went into the toilet after the De La Hoya loss but I still like that he was willing to fight pretty much anybody

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don't know what to say about Vargas. Unlike a lot of guys who get pampered for years and years before they do anything (Wilder, Russell Jr., Vernon Forrest), Vargas fought Yori Boy, Raul Marquez, Winky Wright, Quartey and Tito within 4 years of his debut and only lost 1 of those fights. That's wild. Obviously, his career went into the toilet after the De La Hoya loss but I still like that he was willing to fight pretty much anybody

you run through the gauntlet of fighters he did that were pretty much were in their prime during his career and only end up with 5 losses..thats something else

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ

If his career was 4 years then I wouldnt feel this way, but.....:yeshrug: He had more courage than skill. He was a formidable fighter, however to me, he was overhyped throughout his career. But he'd fight anybody in a heart beat, it doesnt make him exempt for being overrated though. He got TKO' twice by Shane, TKO'd by Trinidad, TKO'd by Oscar and got outboxed by wild ass Mayorga.

Last edited:

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Vivian Harris was disappointing, but I don't think he was all that overhyped. He was a tall dude with some power that should have been able to trouble the elite guys around his division. The thing is he barely held it together during fights against the B listers so he never got that shot at the very top. I think everyone knew he was a bit of a headcase back in his prime.

I don't even think Vargas was overrated either. Dude had huge fan support so he was always propped up to the top, but soon cats realized he was just a small notch below the very elite, which isn't the end of the world. He gave nikkas a lot of good memories though.