Building a retro arcade machine with Raspberry Pi 3 and Retropie

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

At least twice a month I go on craigslist looking for a decent arcade machine. It's the one thing I feel is really missing from my game collection.
Looking around for machines brought me to a few tutorials online on how to make your own retro arcade machine. This looks like a great option considering that what I really want is a classic street fighter 2 machine or a King of Fighters machine.
This seems like an easy/fun project. If and when I decide to actually buy the parts and build one I'll update the thread.
In the meantime I was wondering if anyone has an arcade machine or experience with Raspberry Pi 3.

Tabletop Arcade Build
Raspberry Pi 3 $35.99
2 Joysticks, Control Board, 20 Buttons $72.99
24" Monitor $100
MDF Board 8' $35
USB Speakers $16
20' T-Molding $20.00
Total $279.98

This is my material list so far. Got pricing from Bestbuy, Home Depot, and Amazon.

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
:ohhh: interesting topic. never been one for arcade cabinets but itll be cool to see this come along.
The thing is it doesn't seem the least bit difficult either. I already have a spare monitor I can use too.
Total parts I would be spending $150 - $200 max.
A stretch goal would be flipping them on online. I see people on ebay spending $500 on these things easy.
The question would be how fast could they be made. I already have all the tools necessary. We'll see. I want to give it a try on one of the table top ones but my time is crazy limited still being in school and all that.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I was kind of building one of these using ODROIDs but fell through in one of the assembly stages. Going to do it again sometime soon though.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I just bought a Raspberry Pi 3 last week & loaded Kodi on it :blessed: I'm gonna install the emulators for it this weekend. So far this is no joke. I also just bought a 128GB micro sd card. It can play Dreamcast & Saturn games. I'll hit this thread back with the results
Far as I understand Retropie can handle playing games from PS2 back very well.
I really just want a machine that can play Street Fighter 2, PacMan, and King Of Fighters.
Anything else is just icing on the cake.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Another buddy of mine invented this thing. Cool idea.

iCade_angle_media.jpg

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Far as I understand Retropie can handle playing games from PS2 back very well.
I really just want a machine that can play Street Fighter 2, PacMan, and King Of Fighters.
Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Yeah the Rasp Pi 3 should be more than enough for that. I looking forward to trying these games out.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps

At least twice a month I go on craigslist looking for a decent arcade machine. It's the one thing I feel is really missing from my game collection.
Looking around for machines brought me to a few tutorials online on how to make your own retro arcade machine. This looks like a great option considering that what I really want is a classic street fighter 2 machine or a King of Fighters machine.
This seems like an easy/fun project. If and when I decide to actually buy the parts and build one I'll update the thread.
In the meantime I was wondering if anyone has an arcade machine or experience with Raspberry Pi 3.

BREH THANK YOU.

I just bought like 6 Pi's for the youth program at my job...we bout to go ham on this!

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
I've seen those before. I even saw a youtuber break one open and install a raspberry bi into and use it the same way I'm planning on using it.
Yea. It's cool. Believe it or not the parent company that makes the MPC makes those too. Numark owns Akai,Alesis, Numark and Ion. Probably even more since I left.