Building a retro arcade machine with Raspberry Pi 3 and Retropie

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Got my roms/emulators working on the Pi 3. Got the Sega Genesis library, Neo Geo, & N64. Played some games & it's nice. I'm about to start with some Psx, Saturn, & Dreamcast games this week. So far it's smooth.

All Star
Daps
What's the best emulator with a nice GUI, and best site to actually GET emulators? (NES to PS2)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I'm planning to build one in a couple months after I finish my basement . I found a few companies that sell cabinets and I'm probably gonna get this one. It's only $425 too :ehh:

MikesArcade.com - Midway Upright PC Cabinet - fully assembled arcade cabinet

cMidwayPC.jpg

I already have the PC, I just need the cabinet and the joystick. Need to find someplace that makes artwork for it and I'm set.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I'm planning to build one in a couple months after I finish my basement . I found a few companies that sell cabinets and I'm probably gonna get this one. It's only $425 too :ehh:

MikesArcade.com - Midway Upright PC Cabinet - fully assembled arcade cabinet

cMidwayPC.jpg

I already have the PC, I just need the cabinet and the joystick. Need to find someplace that makes artwork for it and I'm set.
Seems a bit expensive for that.
Check out the X-Arcade stuff if youre looking for something prebuilt.
Arcade Cabinet For The X-Arcade Tankstick | Xtension Arcade Cabinet at RecRoom Masters

Check out a few of the youtube videos before buying anything though. Skill wise it isn't that difficult to build one yourself. Its more time consuming than anything else.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
I've been thinking about that. I have some MAME roms currently.

Daystew

Legion of Boom
Daps
Reppin
Lexington, KY

95% finished. First time ever messing with building anything, so I was more than pleased with it, even though some parts of the construction aren't perfect. Found a retropie image with 7500 games + Kodi. I'm only using Kodi to set the cabinet on a playlist of 80s/90s commercials when the machine is on but a game isn't being played.

Learned a lot in this process, probably easier for some of you with experience with woodworking, but it feels :wow: just to finish something like this. I can send links of joysticks I bought, got a whole set for $68 on Amazon. G'luck brehs

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

95% finished. First time ever messing with building anything, so I was more than pleased with it, even though some parts of the construction isn't perfect. Found a retropie image with 7500 games + Kodi. I'm only using Kodi to set the cabinet on a playlist of 80s/90s commercials when the machine is on but a game isn't being played.

Learned a lot in this process, probably easier for some of you with experience with woodworking, but it feels :wow: just to finish something like this. I can send links of joysticks I bought, got a whole set for $68 on Amazon. G'luck brehs
That's dope breh. I haven't started mine because I had a much bigger and more important project to finish but coincidentally last week I started looking over the parts I need for this project again. I was thinking about making the button layout with 8 buttons so I could have the option later down the line to put a decent PC in the cabinet or a console and play a few modern games.

How much did your build end up costing?

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY

95% finished. First time ever messing with building anything, so I was more than pleased with it, even though some parts of the construction aren't perfect. Found a retropie image with 7500 games + Kodi. I'm only using Kodi to set the cabinet on a playlist of 80s/90s commercials when the machine is on but a game isn't being played.

Looks great bro