bnew

Veteran
Daps

California Cops Can No Longer Ask Drivers ‘Do You Know Why I Pulled You Over?’​

The law also applies to pedestrian stops​

Published 12/27/23 06:57 PM ET|Updated 12/27/23 07:08 PM ET

Jenna Sundel

California Cops Can No Longer Ask Drivers ‘Do You Know Why I Pulled You Over?’

Starting next month, police officers in California cannot ask drivers a popular traffic stop question: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Officers must now state why the stop was conducted before asking other questions. The law, which takes effect on Jan. 1, 2024, also applies to stops on pedestrians.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom approved the Assembly bill in the fall of 2022.

The only time officers are not required to state the reason for a traffic or pedestrian stop is if the officer decides it is necessary “to protect life or property from imminent threat.”

Police lights

Police officers in California must now clearly state the reason for a traffic stop.Getty Images

The law aims to reduce “pretextual stops,” which is when an officer stops a vehicle or pedestrian for a minor offense with the intent of conducting a search to determine if a larger offense has been committed, according to FOX40.

It also is expected to de-escalate interactions between police and civilian

The bill's author, Assemblymember Chris Holden, said the bill will help to “promote equity and accountability in communities" in a legislative committee hearing.

Law enforcement agencies are also required to monitor compl

Dreamchaser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
This is a start. I was pulled over in a coastal town in California, the reason the cop pulled me over was for a headlight not working. What I didn't understand is why he needed my Driver License to tell me that I needed it fixed. It unnecessary to ask for it, especially since the stop has nothing to do with a traffic violation.

Last edited:

CouldntBeMeTho

Clarence Pawlicker
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dog Shooting Squad Of Islamabad
This is a start. I was pulled over in a coastal town in California, the reason the cop pulled me over was for a headlight not working. What I didn't understand is why he needed my Driver License to tell me that I needed it fixed. It unnecessary to ask for it, especially the stop has nothing to do with a traffic violation.
U can't be serious lol

Daps

Jenna Sundel

Starting next month, police officers in California cannot ask drivers a popular traffic stop question: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Officers must now state why the stop was conducted before asking other questions. The law, which takes effect on Jan. 1, 2024, also applies to stops on pedestrians.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom approved the Assembly bill in the fall of 2022.

The only time officers are not required to state the reason for a traffic or pedestrian stop is if the officer decides it is necessary “to protect life or property from imminent threat.”

Police lights

Police officers in California must now clearly state the reason for a traffic stop.Getty Images

The law aims to reduce “pretextual stops,” which is when an officer stops a vehicle or pedestrian for a minor offense with the intent of conducting a search to determine if a larger offense has been committed, according to FOX40.

It also is expected to de-escalate interactions between police and civilian

The bill's author, Assemblymember Chris Holden, said the bill will help to “promote equity and accountability in communities" in a legislative committee hearing.

Law enforcement agencies are also required to monitor compl
When cops have asked me this I always say no. And when they say do you know you were "speeding" or "Rolled a stop sign" i still say O i didn't know I did that

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
This is a start. I was pulled over in a coastal town in California, the reason the cop pulled me over was for a headlight not working. What I didn't understand is why he needed my Driver License to tell me that I needed it fixed. It unnecessary to ask for it, especially since the stop has nothing to do with a traffic violation.
There’s no way to get around the ID thing. They need to know who you are.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
If anyone has any issues with this you should automatically know they are either a dumbass or racist.
Facts

What's the purpose of these guessing games? Just tell people why they were pulled over from the jump.

Whenever I hear a cop ask me that, I automatically assume they're fishing for some type of confession.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Jenna Sundel

Lotta innocent black people are going to die due to that loophole

So basically nothing’s changed

BaileyPark31

Love, Peace, Health, and Wealth
Daps
Reppin
The Keystone State
A cop asked me when was the last time I did drugs...

That shyt had me boiling on the inside.

I just calmly replied that I don't do drugs and he dropped it. I'm sure he was expecting me to go off.