Californians fed up with housing costs and taxes are fleeing state in big numbers

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
what city do you live in?
also are you black?

I stay in Berkeley. I'm not black, but my wife and friends are, and tbh they're all doing better than me for the most part. From the hood too (SF, Richmond, Oakland). RN's, city/county directors, union workers, high end housing contractors, 6 cert brehs, tree growers/suppliers, etc...I'm still bouncing around as a skilled service/laborer dude with a small 401 built up and no pension lol

Yeah, it's harder for black people to become successful, but it's not impossible. And cities offer more opportunities and inspiration for advancement than the suburbs ever will.

Last edited:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I stay in Berkeley. I'm not black, but my wife and friends are, and tbh they're all doing better than me for the most part. From the hood too (SF, Oakland). RN's, city/county/union workers, high end housing contractors, 6 cert brehs, tree growers/suppliers, etc...I'm just a maintenance guy at a private school lol

Yeah, it's harder for black people to become successful, but it's not impossible. And cities offer more opportunities and inspiration for advancement than the suburbs ever will.
for me, because of my race, ethnic background, and field, the Bay (and Cali in general) isn't attractive to me so i was just wondering your background because There's a huge suburbanization trend among black Americans that has been going on for awhile while other races are flocking to cities. you can even look at some of the posts in this thread to see this.

also it may be just be me but to me it seems that only NYC and DC are cities with good public transportation and amenities and large black populations in the city proper :patrice:

Judgement!

Banned
Daps
Reppin
South Sacramento
they don't have religious exemption there? usually you just have to write on piece of paper that it's against your religion, at least if the school is public

we went on a delayed schedule for vaccines and the doctor said that was cool initially, now when their deadline comes for the hep C vaccination they say we can't come if we don't get it
Daniel Pan & them killed the vaccine exemptions when the measles "outbreak" happened at Disneyland.

ecnirp1

mr. open source
Supporter
Daps
foreign migration is not included in the numbers provided in the article. California had a net + migration of 80,000 last year and is almost at 40 million residents right now.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
for me, because of my race, ethnic background, and field, the Bay (and Cali in general) isn't attractive to me so i was just wondering your background because There's a huge suburbanization trend among black Americans that has been going on for awhile while other races are flocking to cities. you can even look at some of the posts in this thread to see this.

also it may be just be me but to me it seems that only NYC and DC are cities with good public transportation and amenities and large black populations in the city proper :patrice:
and chicago

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps

Yeah, I don't think moving out here would be wavey for anyone that isn't white and rich at this point. I understand. My entire social circle is black, I'm not partying with whites or asians on the side. I'm just saying that for the native, city slicker brehs that chose to stay here and fight for what's theirs, they're still doing ok for themselves as long as their grind or hustle was right coming into it. I wish more folks had stayed and fought though, since I feel like moving to the burbs is somewhat of a cop out, and a trap tbh. Social movements have historically been birthed within city limits and I'm concerned now that we will no longer be seeing them in the future, lest it be through social media. Nothing beats having actual people in the street putting in work however.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Killeen is filled with fine women. Some of the finest I've seen... but I couldn't live there any longer. Lived there over 20 years.
I went to Ellison. Left in 2005 and finally visited back for the first time back in November of 2017 since my mom still lives there. Much has changed but I can’t do Central Texas anymore. If I move back to Texas , it’s Houston, Dallas, Austin in that order.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
But that is the problem, you shouldn't have to work like a slave to live regular in the WORLDS RICHEST COUNTRY!

It's not right, but it's how it is. You're still slaving regardless, and like I said, there are ways that make it affordable for the natives, such as me and my friends, to stay here. What do the suburbs offer outside of a bit more personal space though :jbhmm:

Go to work, sit in traffic for three hours, just to go home to a large house in the middle of nothing? For some people it's fine, but me, I'll grind, and enjoy the amenities that the city has to offer. It's where I'm from and what I know. Like I said, we've still got friends and family out here. It's not the ghost town people make it out to be. And know lots of people that moved away are wishing they could come back now.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
Yeah, I don't think moving out here would be wavey for anyone that isn't white and rich at this point. I understand. My entire social circle is black, I'm not partying with whites or asians on the side. I'm just saying that for the native, city slicker brehs that chose to stay here and fight for what's theirs, they're still doing ok for themselves as long as their grind or hustle was right coming into it. I wish more folks had stayed and fought though, since I feel like moving to the burbs is somewhat of a cop out, and a trap tbh. Social movements have historically been birthed within city limits and I'm concerned now that we will no longer be seeing them in the future, lest it be through social media. Nothing beats having actual people in the street putting in work however.
Is it a trap, though.

If anything all the regulations in the city slow things down. If people in the suburbs wanted to create businesses, it would be much easier then in the city, at least on the east coast, and the costs would be cheaper. The only issue will be getting as much clientele compared to a city, but in this day & age, we have the internet, and most people drive anyway.

I think if you use the proper tools available to us now, suburbs might be better then the city for the average small business, when you consider the cost of everything. If the costs were cheaper, regulations not so deep, the city would be the best option just due to all the people that congregate there.