Can an argument be made that todays rappers are more talented than "golden era" rappers??

Eastwoodjones

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Worth, TX
They have better marketing, and a better team around them to make better music. In the 80's, rap was still experimental, in the 90's, it was still a niche thing, and around the late 90's - 2000's it got real mainstream, and record labels invested more in them and bought them into the pop realm.

Bottom line - more money = better music.

Lil Bape the PostGod

Can’t talk to broke boys
Daps
Reppin
Sound sound sound
another things nikkas is forgettin..is hip hop started out as a bunch of "call & response" records, to get the party jumpin and bytches open (i.e throw ya hands in the air, and wave em like you just don't care)...if anything, hip hop now is what the originators envisioned it being years ago

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They have better marketing, and a better team around them to make better music. In the 80's, rap was still experimental, in the 90's, it was still a niche thing, and around the late 90's - 2000's it got real mainstream, and record labels invested more in them and bought them into the pop realm.

Bottom line - more money = better music.
:no:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
another things nikkas is forgettin..is hip hop started out as a bunch of "call & response" records, to get the party jumpin and bytches open (i.e throw ya hands in the air, and wave em like you just don't care)...if anything, hip hop now is what the originators envisioned it being years ago
Does that make the music better

delnegro

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot of producers still make 80-95 BPM beats, including myself. Trap beats are mostly designed to be slow tempo, but there's still fast tempo mainstream/trap songs too

Where did I state that they don't? It doesn't change what I stated...Most mainstream hip hop are trap beats or have trap drum programming which are slower tempos, more conducive to sing songy melodic flows but simpler raps.

ePiffany

All Star
Daps
Rapping with more melody has already been done and much better, it's called Dancehall. It's been raps cousin genre since damn near inception.

Bone Thugs also perfected these bytch nikkas style w/o the auto tune overdose which is used to cover the weak melodies they spitting

Eastwoodjones

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Worth, TX
Does this apply everywhere. Is Mike Conley Better than Steph Curry?:mjgrin:
No not everywhere I'll admit that but there is a correlation, if there weren't no one would invest more money to get a better return. As far as music goes, the more exposure your artist gets, the more resources they have access to, and the better connections they can make in the industry pay off for both the artist and the label. You can get on YouTube and see small time cats that are impressive, but spittin bars alone or having a good voice does not equal success. So the labels take a guy with potential, expose him to their resources, and there you go. Thirty-five years ago that was too risky a venture, but now that hip hop is a commercial success the investment is worth it.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
No not everywhere I'll admit that but there is a correlation, if there weren't no one would invest more money to get a better return. As far as music goes, the more exposure your artist gets, the more resources they have access to, and the better connections they can make in the industry pay off for both the artist and the label. You can get on YouTube and see small time cats that are impressive, but spittin bars alone or having a good voice does not equal success. So the labels take a guy with potential, expose him to their resources, and there you go. Thirty-five years ago that was too risky a venture, but now that hip hop is a commercial success the investment is worth it.
You are assuming that financial success equals quality music.
I do not agree with that assumption.