Can an argument be made that todays rappers are more talented than "golden era" rappers??

supertrekker

Superstar
Daps
It's not about everything sounding like The Infamous. As you said rap in 97-98 in NY had already changed drastically by that point to Jiggy and Swizz. I didn't like it as much as "The Infamous" - but at not point did I start to question whether or not I was listening to hip hop. And that held through the Neptunes, Timbaland, Crunk, Snap...you name it.
I agree that hip hop isn't going to stay exactly the same for 20 years. Things are going to change...but isn't there a point where the changes take us to a new genre? That's what I'm thinking about when I listen to mumble singing. :yeshrug:

Rap went from gangsta to wanna be gangsta.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
If only Nas showed up on Live At The BBQ looking like this instead of kicking them lyrical miracle raps

DQarZtF.gif

BEETLEJUICE
BEETLE JUICE
BEETLE JUICE!

:mjlol:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
All these years I've been listening to music, and I never knew being photogenic and knowing how to put together a cool outfit counted as a talent... I knew it was a component that helped the presentation of the artist's already-existing talent, but who knew it was a deciding factor in whether they had talent or not :heh:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
lol @ cherry picking certain songs, and EPMD? i'd squarely place california love as a kleer and roger troutman sample. let's not play the who sampled what first game, it's pointless. but funny you say EMPD because that's one of my top 5 groups, but i'm talking stuff pre-88...the real remedial days of rhyming.
I'm not cherry picking or playing the who sampled what first game (although I love that game :lolbron:) I'm just making the point that many of the highlights from the 80s (production wise at least) were sampled in the 90s.

87 had Rakim and KRS debuting with albums (with singles that had dropped in 86) and LL debuted in 85 and he was not a remedial rapper. You can even go back to Melle Mel in 82 and Kool Moe Dee and neither were remedial. My guess is you are more referring to shyt like Run DMC, Whodini and Too Short?

Either way...I"m with you to a degree, I definitely prefer 87 on. But there are plenty of classic songs from before then. I'm sure that you love Rock the Bells, The Message and like 15 Run DMC songs :russ:
that shyt isn't impressive to me, sonically and technically shyt was day and night from 84-94.
Was it day and night? Or was it a natural progression of what the genre was based on? The point I'm making is that the fundamental ideas were there...complex delievery with the rhymes (melle mel and KMD) and sampling (which is the whole genesis of this shyt with break beats in the park).
trap is just as hip hop as boom bap, g funk, timbo and pharrell's futuristic beats, etc.
I can't front on this. I might not like Trap beats but I can't really argue this point.
1) it doesn't have to be pioneers, just listeners, as you are. someone who was fukking with hip hop in 70's - mid 80's prolly looked at it in 96/97 and said wtf?...same thing you're doing now.
Maybe based on content...but I don't think there was an idea that it had evolved into a different genre.
2) cats like bone, nelly, 50 and ja opened the genre to being inclusive of singing/melodic rapping so i'm not sure why the beef is with the kids doing it when the old heads opened the gates. if what they did got to be rap or hip hop, i don't see the difference now, they're rapping, regardless of if they mumble thru the bars or "sing" parts of them (don't take me as c/s'ing all the wack talent now...but you seem to have one view of of rap and that's pure bars/spitters/rappity rap cats, rap hasn't been just that for ages)
It's not about blame. If it is...let's go ahead and put all the blame on Mobb Deep, Wu and Nas just so you can believe me when I say that. :russ:
It doesn't matter how we got here...the question is whether we are still hip hop at this point with the emphasis on singing.
Are they rapping? Or are they singing? Sounds like singing to me most of the time. Bone was obviously singing...and I'm not sure if there is a clear way to articulate this...but it always sounded to me like they were incorporating elements of singing into what was unquestionably rapping. Nowadays I feel like there are elements of rapping being incorporated into singing. I hope that makes sense.
Edit: last point, look at rock - there's death metal, hair metal, light rock, classic rock, alternative, acid, punk...and so on, it all gets rolled up under rock. no reason why trap or mumble rap :mjlol: can't be sub genres that live under the greater umbrella of hip hop
I disagree with you here. I don't know much about rock or any of these other genres, but as an outsider to that music. I feel like heavy metal and grunge and punk were always considered there own genres. I look at "rock" as how things should be fore hip hop.
I could be completely wrong about that and again that's not my area of expertise.
Yes...everyone isn't looking for the same things in hip hop. Some ppl are looking for beats, others rhymes, others wordplay, other crazy flows...even in 96 someone listening to too short is interested in vastly different things than someone who listens to wu tang
"Vastly different"? I have to disagree with you there.
Number one. I was listening to Too Short and Wu Tang in 96. Number Two, Too Short's album in 96 had a song with Erick Sermon. I saw DJ Premier at a club doing a dj set about ten years ago maybe and he dropped that Short song.
Too Short used to have DJ Premier remixes. Biggie and Jay had Short on their albums in 97.
Vastly Different in 96 would be Too Short or Wu Tang to Shania Twain or Garth Brooks.
Rappers nowadays are focused on ad-libs, flows, delivery and quotable.
:dwillhuh:
Rappers back then were focused on flows/delivery and quotables.
Anybody can write metaphors and multis if that was their goal
:duck:

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
ll cool j says hello

I fukk with you, and I see where you coming from with that BUT:

1. LL was the first solo superstar but that "longevity" wasn't available or even applicable to him til Hammer kicked down the doors to shyt like endorsements and TV.
2. LL, as dope as he is and as much respect as he should have is rarely on your standard top 5/10 lists in comparison to Jay.

Jay's commercial legacy is on a different level, even from the first real superstar in rap.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I'm tryin' to imagine if fans of any other genre celebrate mediocrity so much, that they actually ridicule those who put more energy into their skill... :yeshrug:

"Y'know, that guy can't play guitar THAT well, but he looks so cool and he gives it a hell of a try... safe to say, he's more talented than Slash or Hendrix ever were."

delnegro

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Another thing thats being over looked is BPM. A lot of these rappers today could'nt RAP on a standard hip hop beat at 85- 90 bpm to save their life. Most trap is 120+ bpm in double time, so beat made at 140 bpm is really 70 bpm...Of course you can expirement on slower tempos with sing songy shyt & it's easier to stay on beat too with such simplified rhymes. The hi hats and snare rolls make people think they're faster tempos but all you have to do is count the 1 & the 2 to see what I'm saying.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
You really think nikkas determination to be the goat is this generations problem:mjlol:?

More like,nikkas like the OP telling these lil wack nikkas they the goat no matter what garbage they put out,simply because it's "different" or "pushing boundaries".....not everybody needs to nor is talented enough to push boundaries.....these nikkas is trying to hard to be different,I don't think they care about being the goat....idiots will put them on pedestals just for the attempt:martin:

Pretty much. It's like these youngins are being something they truly are not. There's one thing to be weird and self aware of who you are, versus trying to be different and coming across mentally brain dead. The Pharcyde is a good example of weird done right because those dudes were genuine with their style. Then you have rappers like Lil Uzi Vert who ride the whole Scott Pilgrim wave, but really not saying shyt other than what countless trap rappers are talking about nowadays.

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I'm tryin' to imagine if fans of any other genre celebrate mediocrity so much, that they actually ridicule those who put more energy into their skill... :yeshrug:

"Y'know, that guy can't play guitar THAT well, but he looks so cool and he gives it a hell of a try... safe to say, he's more talented than Slash or Hendrix ever were."

It ain't their fault bro...they've been conditioned to not respect this. That can change.

Prince Mongo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ashlar Hall, Memphis
Another thing thats being over looked is BPM. A lot of these rappers today could'nt RAP on a standard hip hop beat at 85- 90 bpm to save their life. Most trap is 120+ bpm in double time, so beat made at 140 bpm is really 70 bpm...Of course you can expirement on slower tempos with sing songy shyt & it's easier to stay on beat too with such simplified rhymes. The hi hats and snare rolls make people think they're faster tempos but all you have to do is count the 1 & the 2 to see what I'm saying.
A lot of producers still make 80-95 BPM beats, including myself. Trap beats are mostly designed to be slow tempo, but there's still fast tempo mainstream/trap songs too

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not totally true seeing as how Migos flow is a amalgamation of Bone Thugs and Three 6 Mafia basically...Lord Infamous in particular.

Bone Thugs and Three 6 mafia came up in the Renaissance of hip hop. OP is talking about the golden age the period before basically 1992.