Can an argument be made that todays rappers are more talented than "golden era" rappers??

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
:russ: at how the list narrows.

I'd only like to add that of the first two groups, mainstream radio pretended the nikkas you list in the first group didn't exist.

If you was there, you remember the bans, and you remember rap and hip hop calling out mainstream black radio for being part of the bans.

Nikkas didn't have internet...everything blew up by word of mouth, pirate radio, casettes of taped shows out of the Five Buroughs, the clubs.

All this radio push shyt is equivalent of Jerry Heller rewriting history with Straight Out of Compton.

Think back to who WAS played on the radio. And of those played on the radio, who were big enough to break through the bans and "instrumental only' spins. Where do those artists fall, now?

These nikkaz don't remember the bans that is the beginning issue.
These nikkaz who flodged use to be banned and boycotted from being bought.
It was blasphemy to do any of the bullshyt in bulk guys did in the sale spike era that lead to this nonsense being wide spread.

Art Barr

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The golden age was superior in terms of lyrics and intellect. But i'll say the new age have better flows and cadences

Rekorb

Banned
Daps
I don't think you overlooked them breh, I'm saying the way you layed out the brackets and the names you put them in can and should be applied across the board, with skill taking the top priority for any era. I don't think I'd call the "Future" era the "creative" era of Hip Hop. But you don't seem like the type to be ignorant of those people you named.

Well the names were only place holders, I picked the rappers who I thought were well known.

I just picked the hip-hop cycle and looked what rappers were well known.

I think MF Doom is incredible and killed Rock co Flow w/De La Soul, but is Migos fan really checking out MF Doom or De La Soul like that.

Xerces

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Texas
If only Nas showed up on Live At The BBQ looking like this instead of kicking them lyrical miracle raps

DQarZtF.gif

That's a top 10 rapper right there

:banderas:

:whoa:

According to op

:dame:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Well the names were only place holders, I picked the rappers who I thought were well known.

I just picked the hip-hop cycle and looked what rappers were well known.

I think MF Doom is incredible and killed Rock co Flow w/De La Soul, but is Migos fan really checking out MF Doom or De La Soul or Black Though like that.

I would say do the same with with just rappers from this era and see what you get.

Xerces

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Texas
they do and that's not even being funny.

go talk to these middle schoolers and high schoolers - they'll call rappers "ugly" and say they can't dress

the girls AND the dudes will say this - this is why when you get online and see lil uzi vert looking all feminine, only people dogging him are older people in their late 20's and up

teenagers don't see what the big deal is...times are changing man, they look at old DMX videos like
giphy.gif

Yea, we're definitely not in kansas anymore.

I dont even listen to lyrical miracle rappers like that.

And I wont generalize and say all young kids support it.

Last 2 times I got dragged to a club, didn't reconize 1 song outside of bad and bougie.

Everyone in there doing that dance where it looks like they are stirring ingrediants in a bowl, can't tell if they are dudes or women, all looking adrogenious.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Intellect?

Rakim - Would make you pick up a dictionary.
KRS-ONE and Chuck D - Would give you black history and breakdown systematic oppression.
Slick Rick - Is the GOAT of Story telling.

Only dudes I see on that kind of level in the new generation is Ab-soul, Kendrick and Joey Bad-ass. The generation after them got alot fukk nikkaz coming up.

FSP

Banned
Daps
Bone is an exception and are rarely herald when 90s heads romanticize about the golden era.

Bone was so ahead of their time that they appealed to the south more than Biggie, pac, Wu tang, Nas, Mobb Deep ever did and thats because of their musicality which is what the OP is talking about
It's just now starting to sink in how revolutionary e.1999 eternal was :wow:

Thanks for that breh

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Rakim - Would make you pick up a dictionary.
KRS-ONE and Chuck D - Would give you black history and breakdown systematic oppression.
Slick Rick - Is the GOAT of Story telling.

Only dudes I see on that kind of level in the new generation is Ab-soul, Kendrick and Joey Bad-ass. The generation after them got alot fukk nikkaz coming up.
That's not intellect

That's them choosing to talk about that in their songs

I never understood why you guys prop up these rappers that give surface level talking points to these layered and deep topics

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
If only Nas showed up on Live At The BBQ looking like this instead of kicking them lyrical miracle raps

DQarZtF.gif

:heh: Right, he woulda been the ultimate talent!! Look at his fashion sense!! Can you imagine how much crazier 'It Ain't Hard To Tell' woulda been if he sang it in the tune of Human Nature??:whew:

Last edited: