Can an argument be made that todays rappers are more talented than "golden era" rappers??

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
I see a silly smiley so I know not to read anything you typed.

Anyway, I didn't read anything you typed, all I can say is rap went into cycles.
You are young, and did not live through the cycles you claim exist.

LL Cool J, Run DMC and the Fat Boys got mainstream radio push. They also starred in movies.

De La Soul got the instrumental treatment. DE LA SOUL.

Kid n Play got radio push.

Young MC won how many grammys. Where he at on your list.

Hammer changed the game and the blueprint. Where he at on your list.

Salt n Pepa were the only female act to get consistent mainstream radio push. No MC Lyte, no Isis, none of the bytches in between. There was only room for one mainstream push at a time, in an era of truely talented female MCs and not the Lil Kim wannabes.

And the biggest crossover act besides Hammer, LL , Young MC and Run DMC was Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. Where they at?

That's your real radio history. Keep sleeping.

Let Jews and cacs shape not only your present, but your past, brehs and brehettes.

Rekorb

Banned
Daps
You are young, and did not live through the cycles you claim exist.

LL Cool J, Run DMC and the Fat Boys got mainstream radio push. They also starred in movies.

De La Soul got the instrumental treatment. DE LA SOUL.

Kid n Play got radio push.

Young MC won how many grammys. Where he at on your list.

Hammer changed the game and the blueprint. Where he at on your list.

Salt n Pepa were the only female act to get mainstream radio push. No MC Lyte, no Isis, none of the bytches in between. There was only room for one mainstream push at a time, in an era of truely talented female MCs and not the Lil Kim wannabes.

And the biggest crossover act besides Hammer, LL , Young MC and Run DMC was Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. Where he at?

That's your real radio history.

Let Jews and cacs shape not only your present, but your past, brehs and brehettes.

What are you talking about, that's whole lot of typing that I DID NOT read in response to a simple post I made about hip hop cycles.

Proof, I replied within seconds so I couldn't possibly read what you typed.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
so you want rappers that look good :wrist: and that can sing?

they do and that's not even being funny.

go talk to these middle schoolers and high schoolers - they'll call rappers "ugly" and say they can't dress

the girls AND the dudes will say this - this is why when you get online and see lil uzi vert looking all feminine, only people dogging him are older people in their late 20's and up

teenagers don't see what the big deal is...times are changing man, they look at old DMX videos like
giphy.gif

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
3 staccs birthed you melody nikkas
Pun/g. Rap birthed the rappity rappers
Jay birthed the unlocking flows movement
Nas birthed the intelligent thug nikkas
Wayne birthed the druggies
Bone birthed the harmonizing and busy was the first mumble rapper imo
Eminem was the first druggie

Show some respect nikkas mapped it out for y'all. Very few exceeded the mentioned tho.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I'm glad you brought up skill, we saw Kool Moe Dee destroy Busy Bee in 1981, and battle rapper still use this battle style along with other techniques.

It's almost like boxing, not many new techniques have been created and Boxing was around since 600 B.C.

As far as rap goes it gone through 4 cycles:

1. Skill (Rakim, Krs-One, Chuck D, Slick Rick etc...)
2. Talent (Ice Cube, Tupac, EPMD, Snoop, DMX etc...) Note: Nas would be in the skill AND talent category
3. Creativity (Future, Drake, etc...)
4. Song making ability, catchy songs (Migos, etc...)

Of course you have rappers who can fall in any of these categories, but as far as what the radio and industry of pushing, this is the cycle.

I don't mind the bracket you put up but:

1&2 are valid..but I don't think you can really section it off like that...I can abide the RAKIM BDK era being the skill...because like I said there was more of an incentive to be impressive than there was to just make a shyt ton of money. But that also means it should take the higher priority to have. And there are certainly new school rappers who have talent and skill.

3 & 4 are more subjective....and more about the music industry. Why would Drake or Future be in the "creativity" bracket but not Shock G?

giphy.gif

Song writing is a part of lyricism but often what makes a song good is how catchy and marketable it is. When I see people bring it up it's rarely in the context of how people talk about 2pac's songs. Not saying you gotta expect everybody to be Pac or even similar...but they play Changes at the Vatacan. It's a song that could change somebodies life.

Bad & Bougie is catchy, Today was a good day is a well written song. Need one that's both?

A low key diss song, club song and political song all in one shot :pachaha:

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
he's so all over the place it comes off as trolling...dude said:

know how to hold your own on the dance floor,

He must have missed all that breakdancing in the 80's, Kid N Play, background dancers in pretty much every hip hop video in the 80' and Hammer killing the game in the early 90's
Not to mention you had people like pac and diddy dancing in videos before they got on.

Rekorb

Banned
Daps
I don't mind the bracket you put up but:

1&2 are valid..but I don't think you can really section it off like that...I can abide the RAKIM BDK era being the skill...because like I said there was more of an incentive to be impressive than there was to just make a shyt ton of money. But that also means it should take the higher priority to have. And there are certainly new school rappers who have talent and skill.

3 & 4 are more subjective....and more about music industry. Why would Drake or Future be in the "creativity" bracket but not Shock G?

Song writing is a part of lyricism but often what makes a song good is how catchy and marketable it is. When I see people bring it up it's rarely in the context of how people talk about 2pac's songs. Not saying you gotta expect everybody to be Pac or even similar...but they play Changes at the Vatacan. It's a song that could change somebodies life.

Bad & Bougie is catchy, Today was a good day is a well written song. Need one that's both?

Of course Shock G is creative.

You are agreeing with me, while thinking I over looked Shock G or Q-Tip or Ol'Dirty b*stard or Busta Rhymes or countless other rappers.

There are overlaps, this is why I included the Nas example, actually Nas would done 1, 2, 3 or all 4 depending on the album.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I love the golden era... I'm just sayin, them nikkas were lacking in certain areas. They weren't these god level musicians and song writers that we claim them to be.... and you're talking to someone who was a snob and hated all the new shyt a few years ago.... but I'm just being honest.

that era was closer to poetry...

this era is closer to musicality & song writing & melody... you know, the three things that almost all forms of recorded music is based on globally....
Sounding very :mjpls:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The first big change was when the music was first recorded.
But to your point, I'm not aware of any pioneers who labeled Rakim, KRS and Kane as not hip hop. There was an issue with gangsta Rap because of content, but a contention that it wasn't hip hop? I don't know about that.
@IllmaticDelta wouldnknow the answer.

At the end of the day, we can't call everything hip hop. Is there some reason the mumble singing hasn't to be called hip hop? Most of the proponents of that music view the 90s as dusty anyway.

some of the original OG's look at the birth of the Rap record as the end of true hiphop.To them, HIpHOp is only breakbeats and bboys. Yall gotta remember, there were no rappers in early HipHop from the hardcore, breakbeat Bronx POV.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Rakim disappeared for like a decade and others filled his void by the time he came back guys in high school thought of him as an old school rapper

He missed the whole nas biggie Pac era completely and there was a new generation of fans who didn't know of him... And this is before internet and streaming allowed anyone to do research on old artists so if he wasn't on radio and your friends weren't talking about him he basically didn't exist if you were in high school in the late 90s

You really exposed yourself here.
Rakim just missed one album cycle and one sonic landscape change in 93-97.
When he was on a two year album cycle like any and everyone else as standard.

What are you talembout,...?
Except your exposal to the fact you may not be as well versed as you and everyone else likes to give a headfake like you are and you are not.

Chu tweaked' here breh......
This is as bad as the Hogan stuff.

Art Barr

Budda

Superstar
Daps
You can't really make a good argument tbh?

You can't even say these modern rappers are more musical, they are not, maybe at a big stretch the producers are(not really) but when the biggest song out now goes to the tune off 'Molly, percocet, molly percocet' who is going to make the argument that, that top rapper is more musically inclined than say a Mos Def, or Andre 3000? Nobody.

In the 90's you still had balance, not every one was an ultra lyrical rapper, you had of course Outkast who were as broad and eccentric in their tastest as any modern rap artist, you had Mos Def, who Kendirck bit a lot of his style from, singing crooning and rapping to a great level all at the same time.

You had Bone Thugz, the original harmonizers crooning and harmonising in a way that would influence this generation to no end, imagine many of the things artists get praised for today, Bone Thugz were already doing in the 90's to a huge level, nothing new under the sun, and the artists of them times were if anything more musical because they grew up on actual musicians, from the 60-80's, we grew up on them, theres a difference.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
3 staccs birthed you melody nikkas
Pun/g. Rap birthed the rappity rappers
Jay birthed the unlocking flows movement
Nas birthed the intelligent thug nikkas
Wayne birthed the druggies
Bone birthed the harmonizing and busy was the first mumble rapper imo
Eminem was the first druggie

Show some respect nikkas mapped it out for y'all. Very few exceeded the mentioned tho.

This is completely offkey and nuffin but viacomm send off.

Art Barr

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Of course Shock G is creative.

You are agreeing with me, while thinking I over looked Shock G or Q-Tip or Ol'Dirty b*stard or Busta Rhymes or countless other rappers.

I don't think you overlooked them breh, I'm saying the way you layed out the brackets and the names you put them in can and should be applied across the board, with skill taking the top priority for any era. I don't think I'd call the "Future" era the "creative" era of Hip Hop. But you don't seem like the type to be ignorant of those people you named.