• Total voters

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
An unfortunate hand injury has forced David Lemieux (40-4, 34 KOs) to withdraw from his 168-pound debut against London's John "The Gorilla" Ryder (27-4, 15 KOs) in what was going to be the scheduled 12-round co-main event of Canelo vs. Jacobs.

Lemieux injured his right hand during a sparring session, and his doctor has recommended that he rest for eight weeks before returning to the gym.

Details for the new co-main event will be announced shortly. The Canelo vs. Jacobs will continue as planned on Saturday, May 4 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and will be streamed live exclusively on DAZN.

david-lemieux%20(1)_10.jpg

Lemieux, a 30-year-old native of Montreal, Canada, is disappointed at his injury, but promises to return stronger than ever.

''Training camp was going really great," said David Lemieux."I felt in tremendous shape, the strongest I'd ever felt in my entire career. But, I will be back soon. Hopefully, the fans will understand. I promise I will make it up to them once I'm healed."

"I'm very disappointed since he was in the best shape of his life both in the gym and in the ring," said Camille Estephan, President of Eye of the Tiger Management. "We will take the time to heal his hand and get right back in the chase for a world title."

"It's very unfortunate that David Lemieux's return has been postponed," said Eric Gomez, President of Golden Boy. "But this is boxing, and these things happen. We wish David a speedy recovery and look forward to his return, so he can make big waves at 168 pounds."

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
An unfortunate hand injury has forced David Lemieux (40-4, 34 KOs) to withdraw from his 168-pound debut against London's John "The Gorilla" Ryder (27-4, 15 KOs) in what was going to be the scheduled 12-round co-main event of Canelo vs. Jacobs.

Lemieux injured his right hand during a sparring session, and his doctor has recommended that he rest for eight weeks before returning to the gym.

Details for the new co-main event will be announced shortly. The Canelo vs. Jacobs will continue as planned on Saturday, May 4 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and will be streamed live exclusively on DAZN.

david-lemieux%20(1)_10.jpg

Lemieux, a 30-year-old native of Montreal, Canada, is disappointed at his injury, but promises to return stronger than ever.

''Training camp was going really great," said David Lemieux."I felt in tremendous shape, the strongest I'd ever felt in my entire career. But, I will be back soon. Hopefully, the fans will understand. I promise I will make it up to them once I'm healed."

"I'm very disappointed since he was in the best shape of his life both in the gym and in the ring," said Camille Estephan, President of Eye of the Tiger Management. "We will take the time to heal his hand and get right back in the chase for a world title."

"It's very unfortunate that David Lemieux's return has been postponed," said Eric Gomez, President of Golden Boy. "But this is boxing, and these things happen. We wish David a speedy recovery and look forward to his return, so he can make big waves at 168 pounds."

:patrice:

You think he was having weight issues again?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Joseph Diaz vs. Freddy Fonseca Added To Canelo-Jacobs Card
By Jake Donovan

Joseph Diaz Jr. was gunning for a title shot in his next fight but will instead have to settle for the brother of a former title challenger.

The 2012 U.S. Olympian and current 130-pound contender was among the recognizable names announced to appear on the undercard of the May 4 World middleweight championship clash between lineal king Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and Daniel Jacobs.

For his part on the DAZN-streamed show, Diaz will take on Freddy Fonseca (26-2-1, 17KOs), a 27-year old southpaw from Nicaragua who will fight in the U.S. for the first time in his journeyman career.

joseph-diaz (9)

News of the matchup—which was first reported by ESPN.com senior writer Dan Rafael—was confirmed to BoxingScene.com by Roberto Diaz, executive matchmaker for Golden Boy Promotions who will present the May 4 card live from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The pairing required confirmation not only for the sake of reporting but also as a point of clarification for Golden Boy’s own fighter.

Diaz (28-1, 14KOs) was aiming for a showdown with reigning 130-pound titlist Tevin Farmer, who is just weeks removed from a 12-round decision win over Jono Carroll. Their March clash was the fourth in less than eight months for Philadelphia’s Farmer, who won a vacant title in a 12-round win over Billy Dib last August in Australia.

Following his win over Carroll this past March, Farmer took a much-needed vacation as he doesn’t plan to fight again until summertime at the earliest. Given that, Diaz was happy to settle for a comparison-type matchup as he believed he was facing former title challenger Francisco Fonseca, Freddy’s older brother whom faced Farmer last December along with Gervonta Davis in Aug. ’17.

“Well this is fresh news to me, too,” Diaz declared on social media upon reading the news himself of Freddy Fonseca being the opponent. “I thought I was fighting Francisco Fonseca from Costa Rica.”

Instead, Diaz gets the middle child among the boxing Fonseca brothers. Freddie is two years older than Francisco—the most accomplished of the trio—and three years younger than Jose Fonseca, a 30-year old whose last fight came in 2015, winning for the fourth straight time in improving his otherwise rough record to 6-9-5 (1KO).

As for the one Diaz is actually fighting, Fonseca takes a significant step up in class in fighting in the United States. The entirety of his 29-fight career has taken place in Central America, very little of which has come versus opponents with winning records much less any boxer of note.

Diaz fights for the second time as a super featherweight, his divisional debut coming this past February in a 10-round win over durable trialhorse Charles Huerta. The 26-year old California native came up short in his lone title fight, dropping a competitive but clear 12-round decision to Gary Russell Jr. in their featherweight title fight last May.

A bid to capture a second title instead provided confirmation of his needing to move up in weight. Diaz outpointed Puerto Rico’s Jesus M. Rojas over 12 rounds last August, but in what amounted to a non-title fight after coming in over the divisional limit. He missed weight by just 0.5 pounds but struggled enough in camp to realize it was time to move up to super featherweight.

The pairing is one of six confirmed fights for the May 4 show which also includes unbeaten prospects Vergil Ortiz Jr. and Lamont Roach in separate contests. The event took a minor hit when former middleweight titlist David Lemieux suffered an injury during training camp, thus scrapping his planned super middleweight title eliminator versus John Ryder.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Canelo-Jacobs: Adalaide Byrd Included In NSAC's Judging Pool

By Keith Idec

If you think the ludicrous scorecard Adalaide Byrd submitted for the first Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin fight would have eliminated her from consideration for judging another Alvarez fight, guess again.

BoxingScene.com has learned that Byrd was included in the pool of potential judges Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett sent recently to representatives for Daniel Jacobs and Alvarez. Brooklyn’s Jacobs (35-2, 29 KOs) has been very open since signing to box Alvarez (51-1-2, 35 KOs) about the urgent need for the most competent group of judges possible to score their middleweight title unification match May 4 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Fighters and their teams have the right to contest the use of objectionable judges, but ultimately it is up to the NSAC to assign judges to fights in Nevada. Typically, the NSAC has acquiesced once objections are made in order to avoid conflicts once fights are scored.

canelo-jacobs%20(4)_1.jpg

Byrd’s inclusion in the Alvarez-Jacobs pool is particularly perplexing because she scored Alvarez a 118-110 winner over Golovkin in a 12-round middleweight title fight in which Golovkin was at the very least extremely competitive with Alvarez in September 2017 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Nevada’s Byrd strangely scored 10 of those 12 rounds for Alvarez, who lost 115-113 on the scorecard of Nevada’s Dave Moretti. Connecticut’s Don Trella scored the first Alvarez-Golovkin fight a draw (114-114), which rendered it a split draw.

Moretti and Trella also are among the judges Bennett included in the pool for Alvarez-Jacobs. BoxingScene.com has been informed that Jacobs’ team has objected to Trella working his fight against Alvarez as well.

When asked by BoxingScene.com about the potential judges for his fight versus Alvarez, Jacobs didn’t name names. He did, however, indicate that the inclusion of one judge in particular, presumably Byrd, is not up for debate.

“I’ve had my opportunity to think about it,” Jacobs said. “I was presented with the pool of judges that they gave to us. And I think it was laughable at first. There was definitely one that was automatically out, once we got the list. But, you know, I expressed to my team what I felt about not only the judges, but the options of the referees we have.

“I’m just looking forward to getting an honest chance. That’s really all I want – just a true, honest chance. I don’t want any advantage. I don’t want any favoritism towards me. I just want a fair chance to go in there and fight the fighter they consider to be the best in the middleweight division and prove myself. But I don’t want any influence outside the ring to manipulate the decision or what happens inside there.”

Even Oscar De La Hoya, Alvarez’s promoter, admitted in the immediate aftermath of the first Alvarez-Golovkin fight that Byrd’s scorecard wasn’t close to accurate.

All the negative publicity that accompanied that controversial conclusion didn’t prevent the NSAC from assigning Byrd to score another fight just five weeks after the widely disputed split draw between Alvarez and Golovkin. In all, Byrd has judged 42 fights since Alvarez-Golovkin I, almost all of which took place in Las Vegas or Reno, Nevada.

Bennett will suggest three judges to the NSAC at its monthly meeting Wednesday morning in Las Vegas. The three judges and the referee for Alvarez-Jacobs will be approved and assigned at that meeting.

Bennett is not expected to submit the names of Byrd or Trella to the NSAC for assignment because Jacobs’ team has expressed concerns about them judging his fight against Alvarez.

Nevertheless, especially close attention will be paid to those assignments because Alvarez has been involved in at least four fights in Las Vegas in recent years in which at least one of the judges’ scorecards has drawn considerable criticism.

The first instance occurred in September 2013, when Nevada’s C.J. Ross scored Alvarez’s majority-decision defeat to Floyd Mayweather Jr. a draw (114-114) at MGM Grand Garden Arena. The two other judges – Canada’s Craig Metcalfe (117-111) and Moretti (116-112) – scored nine rounds and eight rounds for Mayweather, respectively.

Ross has not judged another professional boxing match since Mayweather-Alvarez.

Ten months later, Alvarez won a closely contested fight with Erislandy Lara by split decision.

Two judges – Moretti (115-113) and New Mexico’s Levi Martinez (117-111) – scored that 12-round, 154-pound bout for Alvarez at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Moretti credited Alvarez with winning seven rounds against Lara, whereas Martinez scored nine of the 12 rounds for Alvarez.

Almost exactly a year after the dubious draw between Alvarez and Golovkin, Moretti (115-113) and New Jersey’s Steve Weisfeld (115-113) scored Alvarez a narrow winner over Golovkin in their middleweight championship rematch. The third judge, Connecticut’s Glenn Feldman, scored the Alvarez-Golovkin rematch a draw (114-114), which accounted for it resulting in a majority-decision win at T-Mobile Arena.

Byrd, meanwhile, was the only judge to have Amir Khan ahead of Alvarez, 48-47, after five rounds in their middleweight championship match in May 2016 at T-Mobile Arena. Alvarez, who was ahead of Khan on the cards of Feldman (48-47) and Nevada’s Glenn Trowbridge (49-46), knocked out Khan in the sixth round.

Jacobs, who arrived in Las Vegas on Tuesday, is well aware of the judging history of Alvarez’s fights in that city.

“It’s definitely something that plays in the back of my mind,” Jacobs said. “But I don’t let it manifest. It’s just one of those things where I know that if I do what I have to do, which I totally see being 100-percent possible, then there’s gonna be no doubt. And then, if I knock Canelo Alvarez out, to some people it’ll be a miracle. But I’m not foreign to those things anyway.”