Chadwick Boseman says T’Challa is the enemy in Black Panther

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
“I actually am the enemy,” he says during a discussion with castmate Lupita Nyong’o and Marvel comics writer and journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates at Harlem’s Apollo Theater on Tuesday. (The comments were transcribed and reported by The Atlantic and Rolling Stone.) “It’s the enemy I’ve always known. It’s power. It’s having privilege.” He characterizes T’Challa as “born with a vibranium spoon in my mouth.”

vergemarvel_bpfullcostume-BHB-1.3.0.png

In the scene, Killmonger strolls into an African museum exhibit, poisons a museum guide, and steals back a Wakandan treasure, declaring, “Don’t trip. Imma take it off your hands for you.” When the guide says severely, “These items are not for sale,” he responds, to audience cheers during the initial French premiere, “How do you think your ancestors got these? You think they paid a fair price for it? Or did they take them like they took everything else?”

The scene plays more like a heroic heist than a theft, and it would have been, if the film wasn’t based in such a good-and-evil-focused comic book world. To many commenters, the sides in Black Panther aren’t so clear cut. Both Killmonger and T’Challa are simultaneously heroes and villains. But Boseman’s acknowledgement that he sympathizes more with his character’s adversary is still a startling admission for a leading man in a superhero movie.

“I don’t know if we as African-Americans would accept T’Challa as our hero if he didn’t go through Killmonger,” he says at the event. “Because Killmonger has been through our struggle, and [T’Challa hasn’t].”
Chadwick Boseman says T’Challa is the enemy in Black Panther

rotator_xlarge_uncanny.jpg

erik4-1.jpg