China tries — and fails — to build its own Manhattan

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Exactly Manhattan is Manhattan because LITERALLY anybody can make it and there's billions to be made everyday. The expensiveness and real estate values are just a reflection of that, not vice versa. You need to find the world's top hustlers and put them all in one location, that's the only way you're going to be able to replicate anything like Manhattan.

Culturally it has to be organic...you can't just build something in a small timeframe and expect people to flock to it.

There has to be a track record of success stories coming from the city otherwise why would someone move there.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Exactly Manhattan is Manhattan because LITERALLY anybody can make it and there's billions to be made everyday. The expensiveness and real estate values are just a reflection of that, not vice versa. You need to find the world's top hustlers and put them all in one location, that's the only way you're going to be able to replicate anything like Manhattan.

Culturally it has to be organic...you can't just build something in a small timeframe and expect people to flock to it.

There has to be a track record of success stories coming from the city otherwise why would someone move there.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
Manhattan is 100% capitalism b. You can be a hobo off the street and get a job as a broker's assistant and go from there. You just have to show your drive. I don't know about America, but NYC is truly the one place where anybody can make it.
only in the movies breh
tumblr_mkvnt7zEj51qf5do9o1_500.gif

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
I think you mean manhattan is manhattan because literally EVERYONE is TRYING to make it after 200+ years of oppression and false promises to escape the english banking system.. and all you're left with is 2 or 3 people with the same wealth as the 1.6 million people trying to purchase the illusion of wealth..

I'll bet the combined western debt that these cities will be rammed in the next 30/40 years while the austerity measures become more dramatic.. i mean we call china overpopulated.. at least the infrastructure matches the growth

Naw breh, I highly disagree, Manhattan is a hustler's dream. Manhattan supposedly has the most billionaires per square foot, I can't speak for millionaires, but I know the average salary on Wall St, is upwards of $200K. It's the one place where it's all on you to make how much you want to make. You hit them phones 18 hours a day 5 days a week 52 weeks straight and your life will change :yes: In a lot of other countries similar positions are only reserved for certain families/politically connected people, but in the USA you can be a bum on the street and work on Wall St, it's the good and the bad of America. :manny:

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
there's this chinese real estate company that's ridiculously undervalued and I want to invest in it. But then I see stories like this and you hear about all the ridiculous (fraudulent) loans it takes to build shyt like this and it scares me away.

Don't do it breh, even if it's listed on an American/Euro stock exchange, I still wouldn't do it.

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
only in the movies breh
tumblr_mkvnt7zEj51qf5do9o1_500.gif
https://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/dai...30-and-left-it-all--here-s-why-175020255.html

By 30 years old, Sam Polk had made more than $5 million in bonuses alone during eight years working on Wall Street. As a trader, he was living it up in Manhattan by the age of 25, able to count on a cash flow and perks that would be the envy of many. "It was an easy thing to go to a World Series game, which for a lot of people was like a dream," he tells us in the accompanying video as an example. Couple the perks with the seven-figure bonuses he was on track to earn and Polk had "a tremendous feeling of importance and power especially as a 25-year-old kid."

But at 30, he abruptly decided to leave the Street. Despite the money Polk had been making, over the years he found himself nagged by envy. In a New York Times op-ed, he describes working at bulge-bracket firms like Bank of America (BAC) and Citigroup (C) early in his career, on trading desks where everyone sits together and perspective goes out the door -- when you sit next to someone making $10 million, your $1 to $2 million compensation doesn't look so great.

He went on to work at a hedge fund, and his obsession with money only got worse.

He writes in the NY Times: Now, working elbow to elbow with billionaires, I was a giant fireball of greed. I’d think about how my colleagues could buy Micronesia if they wanted to, or become mayor of New York City. They didn’t just have money; they had power — power beyond getting a table at Le Bernardin. Senators came to their offices. They were royalty.

Polk describes getting angry over a $3.6 million bonus because it wasn’t big enough.

He came to believe that he personally had developed a wealth addiction.

"One of the things I came to realize was I had been using money as this thing that would quell all my fears," he explains. "So I had this belief that maybe some day I would get enough money that I would no longer be scared ... I would feel successful. And one of the things I learned on Wall Street was no matter how much money I made, the money was never going to do it.
In the end, he writes that it was observing his "absurdly" wealthy bosses that helped him realize the limits of unlimited money:

I was in a meeting with one of them, and a few other traders, and they were talking about the new hedge-fund regulations. Most everyone on Wall Street thought they were a bad idea. “But isn’t it better for the system as a whole?” I asked. The room went quiet, and my boss shot me a withering look. I remember his saying, “I don’t have the brain capacity to think about the system as a whole. All I’m concerned with is how this affects our company.” I felt as if I’d been punched in the gut. He was afraid of losing money, despite all that he had.

Polk says wealth addiction was a problem afflicting more on Wall Street than just him alone.

He believes many people may look at inequality statistics and wonder, "How is it that folks at the top that are making so much money are still focused on accumulating more for themselves?"

"I just know from my experience that I still felt like I didn't have enough, and I was so distorted about my wealth compared to the rest of the world -- I think that is a problem on a bigger scale," he says.

Now at 34, Polk runs a nonprofit called Groceryships, which he founded. It helps low-income families struggling with obesity to increase the amount of fruits, vegetables and other healthy foods in their diets.

After writing about his story, he has college students reaching out for guidance. They want careers where they can support their family and achieve prestige, but where they can also derive meaning. What's his advice?

"I get it, it is a tough spot -- money has helped me [in the past] and it definitely helps me today," he says. "At the same time, I was on a train that a lot of people stay on their whole lives, which is saying 'one day I'll have enough'...for me one of the benefits of working with such wealthy people was that I just saw that it was never going to happen."

25 blowing millions breh, again, anybody can make it there, just depends on how much drive you have

AyahuascaSippin

Good Vibrations
Daps
lol for every 1 person that 'makes it' you have a 10,000 young hustlers that are gonna lose it all plus some they didnt even know they had.. Its the wealth aparthide, hence why everytime 1 guy cashes out the media has a field day.. By your argument every country that has a lotto is just as lucrative, it just depends if the person in question has the drive and startup costs to cover all possible number combos..

also, stop worshipping these fake figures and money games.. its these kinds of inflation producing practices that are pricing your black brothers and sisters out of an actual life

tmonster

Superstar
Daps

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
lol for every 1 person that 'makes it' you have a 10,000 young hustlers that are gonna lose it all plus some they didnt even know they had.. Its the wealth aparthide, hence why everytime 1 guy cashes out the media has a field day.. By your argument every country that has a lotto is just as lucrative, it just depends if the person in question has the drive and startup costs to cover all possible number combos..

also, stop worshipping these fake figures and money games.. its these kinds of inflation producing practices that are pricing your black brothers and sisters out of an actual life

tell em

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
hilarious I was just text messaging a chick I smashed last year she's actually in Tianjin right now, said she was bored af.

I had no idea this city existed, what them rent prices looking at, I may just have to see whats up. I'm looking for a modern city but half the density. this may be it. :ohhh:

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps

How could you lose what you didn't have to invest? :what: Brokers don't invest their own money breh. It's not wealth apartheid, and while day trading and high leverage stock trading is equivalent to gambling, fundamentals based long term investment isn't, that's why Warren Buffet is who he is. What's pricing AMERICANS out of life is stagnant low-end labor wage growth along with a developing, educated, and aggressive 3rd world labor pool. That has nothing to do with Wall St, that's strictly supply and demand breh. Again, any Coli breh can make it on Wall St, it's just how much work you're willing to put in. There's few other places where you can say that unless you're on the ground floor of some internet company or some sh*t like that.

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
hilarious I was just text messaging a chick I smashed last year she's actually in Tianjin right now, said she was bored af.

I had no idea this city existed, what them rent prices looking at, I may just have to see whats up. I'm looking for a modern city but half the density. this may be it. :ohhh:

You wanna live in Chinese Detroit? :scusthov:

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
do you understand how statistically insignificant that story is to the claim that ANYBODY can make it there?
it's the stories of failure no on writes about
I would looooove to be wrong on this , so hey if you are right then
t9tCtMy.png

I would like to make the disclaimer that I said that anybody willing to put in the work. Not everybody is made to make it breh. :manny:

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
ok, just got through checking chinese news. man this is why I cant stand western media man. these nikkas aren't even half way through building the fukking city yet. why would people be moving in right now? to listen to construction all day? this a fukking mess, chinese never move or commit until completion, they dont work on credit, most shyt is loan or cash, they're a 'buy now' culture. shyt won't be done for another 5 years, of course chinese wouldnt put money into it now. this shyt was misleading. :camby: