Chris Brown Upset About Album Sales

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
I genuinely think with the right artistic vision and production CB could change the direction of R&B entirely. That would be his Thriller and it would need to be a game shaking, catchy concise album thats a total pivot from his past catalogue that intends to signal the next stage of his career. Something to reinvent himself, his style and the rest but with certified hits the mainstream simply can't refuse.

Thing is its more likely that Weeknd will make that artistic evolution first and that leaves CB in the position of either switching it up after and seeming like a biter or sticking to his formula and seeing where that leads. Crazy position as an artist because fans generally want to buy your old album and often hate growth so it must be irritating having to retread old themes again and again. There is, however, a nice lateral step that could be the perfect move and is a win/win strategy

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
The Biggest Selling Male R&B albums of the last 30 Years:

Boyz II Men - Cooliehighharmony - 9x Platinum (91)
Michael Jackson - Dangerous - 8x Platinum (91)
Boyz II Men: II - Diamond 12x Platinum (94)
Michael Jackson History - Diamond (95)
R Kelly - 12 Play - 6x Platinum (93)
R Kelly - R Kelly - 5x Platinum (95)
Usher - My Way - 6x Platinum (97)
R Kelly - R - 8x Platinum (98)
Sisqo - Unleash the Dragon 6x Platinum (Yes Sisqo album was this huge people) (00)
Usher Confessions - Diamond (04)

I think Chris has had a fantastic career but he's released nothing bigger than any of these projects. I also think his albums are pretty good but nothing genre defining or really classic. Also after the Rihanna drama, his sales have been on steady decline the last decade. Streaming has helped his singles but his album sales have been dropping album after album. I do not believe Chris is in Usher's class. Chris needs to face Trey Songz, Mario, Neyo etc. Usher is in the Top Tier of Male R&B. Kells Vs Usher would be good but he would lose to Kells. Also stop the Michael Jackson comparisons. "Thriller" shuts down Chris whole Catalog. So does "Bad" and "Off the Wall". He has nothing seeing "Dangerous" either. Sisqo's "Unleash the Dragon" is bigger than anything Chris has every done. "Confessions" still hasn't been topped in almost 20 years. Chris can dance yes but Michael's dancing was more iconic and impactful which is why he has so many "Signature" moves. People don't associate particular dance moves with Chris like they do Michael Jackson. People need to stop trying to compare anyone and everyone to Michael. They be having dudes barely going Platinum and Double Platinum talking about "They just like Michael." Stop.

Last edited:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

Michael Jackson History - Diamond
R Kelly - 12 Play - 6x Platinum
R Kelly - R Kelly - 5x Platinum
Usher - My Way - 6x Platinum
R Kelly - R - 8x Platinum
Sisqo - Enter the Dragon 6x Platinum (Yes Sisqo album was this huge people)
Usher Confessions - Diamond

I think Chris has had a fantastic career but he's released nothing bigger than any of these projects. I also think his albums are pretty good but nothing genre defining or really classic. Also after the Rihanna drama, his sales have been on steady decline the last decade. Streaming has helped his singles but his album sales have been dropping album after album. I do not believe Chris is in Usher's class. Chris needs to face Trey Songz, Mario, Neyo etc. Usher is in the Top Tier of Male R&B. Kells Vs Usher would be good but he would lose to Kells. Also stop the Michael Jackson comparisons. "Thriller" shuts down Chris whole Catalog. So does "Bad" and "Off the Wall". He has nothing seeing "Dangerous" either. Sisqo's "Enter the Dragon" is bigger than anything Chris has every done. "Confessions" still hasn't been topped in almost 20 years. Chris can dance yes but Michael's dancing was more iconic and impactful which is why he has so many "Signature" moves. People don't associate particular dance moves with Chris like they do Michael Jackson. People need to stop trying to compare anyone and everyone to Michael. They be having dudes barely going Platinum and Double Platinum talking about "They just like Michael." Stop.
STFU

why do you come in every thread writing walls of text.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
and that's why we're in here arguing that's where he started to fall off, no one called the man trash, but all peaks have a down slope. if usher ever releases the project he's been working on with JD, i'm here for it, but i'm also not expecting to be blown away like i was album to album from my way-confessions.
Had to go back and revisit usher last night. Y’all can’t seriously be trying to use album sales/single performance to say usher was still peak usher after 04…here I stand is very bad, I forgot how quickly I bushed that album after one listen, that’s why I forgot how bad it was. Breh sold decently on that one due to coming off confessions and the lead single being “love in this club” which had us thinking we were about to get some heat, but we got hot garbage. Raymond v Raymond was much better despite being marred by a few dance dance revolution songs and being too long and disjointed, but the damage was done. And looking for myself was a hot mess between putting pure adult contemporary alongside EDM tracks. Usher is an R&B GOAT, but let’s be honest, his run was 97-08 (04 if we reduce it to last hitting album)

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

Sisqo - Unleash the Dragon 6x Platinum (Yes Sisqo album was this huge people) (00)
Let’s be reality about that sisqo album, that’s back when people bought a whole album for one song and thong song propelled that album as it was a pop culture hit. Sisqo’s first solo was dope but don’t use the sales of that to overstate what tier sisqo actually was…he’s not in the same class as the others on that list, at all

Beat Street

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Had to go back and revisit usher last night. Y’all can’t seriously be trying to use album sales/single performance to say usher was still peak usher after 04…here I stand is very bad, I forgot how quickly I bushed that album after one listen, that’s why I forgot how bad it was. Breh sold decently on that one due to coming off confessions and the lead single being “love in this club” which had us thinking we were about to get some heat, but we got hot garbage. Raymond v Raymond was much better despite being marred by a few dance dance revolution songs and being too long and disjointed, but the damage was done. And looking for myself was a hot mess between putting pure adult contemporary alongside EDM tracks. Usher is an R&B GOAT, but let’s be honest, his run was 97-08 (04 if we reduce it to last hitting album)
Here I Stand is not bad wtf :what:

Love You Gently
Appetite
What’s A Man To Do
Lifetime
The title track
His Mistakes
Trading Places

Kliq_Souf

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
WOL

I think Chris has had a fantastic career but he's released nothing bigger than any of these projects. I also think his albums are pretty good but nothing genre defining or really classic. Also after the Rihanna drama, his sales have been on steady decline the last decade. Streaming has helped his singles but his album sales have been dropping album after album. I do not believe Chris is in Usher's class. Chris needs to face Trey Songz, Mario, Neyo etc. Usher is in the Top Tier of Male R&B. Kells Vs Usher would be good but he would lose to Kells. Also stop the Michael Jackson comparisons. "Thriller" shuts down Chris whole Catalog. So does "Bad" and "Off the Wall". He has nothing seeing "Dangerous" either. Sisqo's "Unleash the Dragon" is bigger than anything Chris has every done. "Confessions" still hasn't been topped in almost 20 years. Chris can dance yes but Michael's dancing was more iconic and impactful which is why he has so many "Signature" moves. People don't associate particular dance moves with Chris like they do Michael Jackson. People need to stop trying to compare anyone and everyone to Michael. They be having dudes barely going Platinum and Double Platinum talking about "They just like Michael." Stop.
Those days of RnB being a top seller are long gone.
Has any RnB album come close to going Diamond since Confessions, aside from Adele if you wanna call that RnB...?

Bruno Mars, Beyonce, Rihanna, are all megastars in recent time and not touching those sales