Chris Brown Upset About Album Sales

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
he's not, the biggest r&b artists always had multigenerational reach, a dude like chris, and a lot of these women, limit their success by appealing to a much smaller segment of people ~15-34 who want to hear all that ratchetry (and the careless parents that let their under 15's listen to a ton of vulgar music (- i grew up listening to that stuff too but in rap, but r&b wasn't like that).

chris aint gotta make bubblegum pop but it's just as easy to sing about sex without using the word "p*ssy" or "fukking", you can still get the point across without doing it in the lowest common denominator language. there's nothing artistic about that and it definitely further limits the # of people who want to listen to that.
I just don’t think it’s possible for a man to make R&B that appeals to the youth in this day and age. Rap has completely overshadowed everything and kids grow up only listening to rap now

Even that Vedo song that was big on TikTok a couple of years ago didn’t seem like kids cared for it.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
:russ: You right actually

Nah PND woulda broke through any era cause he came with his own unique sound. He really in that R Kelly/Dream lane with the songwriting production aspect and he birthed all these new era R&B nikkas with his style/sound

The dude just so rich and living the high life in LA he could give a fukk about releasing any music
:mjlol:

you trying too hard to elevate this nikka...no one cares about this guy as an artist, sure he wrote some bops for ESTABLISHED artists, but he was never a huge artist and he didn't write good enough to break new artists/give struggling artists a hit. but i get it, rep your city. :dead:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Jeremih
Ty
Weeknd
Miguel
August alsina
Trey songz
Pnd
Chris brown

Hell damn near everyone that was hot during 2014-15 was putting out better music than him. Usher put out the worse music of his career in the 10s.
By outdoing I meant who were bigger names. Not quality. A lot of em had buzz in mixtapes but when it came time to drop albums they were lucky to hit gold.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I just don’t think it’s possible for a man to make R&B that appeals to the youth in this day and age. Rap has completely overshadowed everything and kids grow up only listening to rap now

Even that Vedo song that was big on TikTok a couple of years ago didn’t seem like kids cared for it.
depends on what age we're talking, young kids under 10 who are still greatly influenced by what their parents listen to, r&b could reach, just depends on the age of the parent/what generation they fall in. like a 26 yr old with an 8 yr old, nah, but a 40 yr olf with an 8yr old, definitely. kids who aer in middle school and control their music intake, you're right, r&b is dead to them, but that's also why i say it's stupid to make music for ~15-30 yr olds, go make it for the 35+ club who can then introduce it to a new generation that's young enough to be influenced, this intermediate generation is a lost cause for r&b.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Vedo
Kenyon Dixon
Blxst
Pink Sweats
DVSN
I fukk with those artists heavy but you already know they don't have a mainstream sound. Not saying they couldn't. Chris has already been there and has already been on top of the charts. He's worried about sales I was just pointing out a formula that work for him. When I said clean songs I didn't mean he needed to do traditional R&B. To be honest I would like to see Chris get out his comfort zone and do some shyt with like Tame impala or on Some little dragon shyt. Something refreshing and different. I agree with that traditional R&B is on the decline. That's why Beyonce is doing a house single. Hell Drake did a whole ass EDM album. All i'm saying is that music is changing and Chris needs to evolve to a different bag in his sound. I actually wouldn't even mind if Chris did a whole album using Afrobeats.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
he's not, the biggest r&b artists always had multigenerational reach, a dude like chris, and a lot of these women, limit their success by appealing to a much smaller segment of people ~15-34 who want to hear all that ratchetry (and the careless parents that let their under 15's listen to a ton of vulgar music (- i grew up listening to that stuff too but in rap, but r&b wasn't like that).

chris aint gotta make bubblegum pop but it's just as easy to sing about sex without using the word "p*ssy" or "fukking", you can still get the point across without doing it in the lowest common denominator language. there's nothing artistic about that and it definitely further limits the # of people who can or want to listen to that.
Does that matter now. In our day it mattered due to having to have an adult by an album with the PA stickers. Now there is a lot less of a barrier to even young kids getting access to music. More a curiousity question than anything

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Does that matter now. In our day it mattered due to having to have an adult by an album with the PA stickers. Now there is a lot less of a barrier to even young kids getting access to music. More a curiousity question than anything
your kids grown, people out with with kids under 12/13 are still in charge of their listening - parental controls on youtube, spotify, internet browsers, etc block explicit music, then the fact these kids are pretty much under their parents watch most the time, they're listening to what their parents play in the car or at home. most people's taste in music is greatly influenced by what their parents listened to, even if they depart and have a different genre they prefer down the line, we all remember and know what our parents played.

there's definitely a bunch of under 10's with parents who'd love to be playing r&b around them, but they can't/won't due to how explicit the content is. my parents didn;t have that issue, they could slap toni braxton or anita baker and not worry about it and i could hand them my brandy or 112 album and have them play it in the car without being offended.

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you trying too hard to elevate this nikka...no one cares about this guy as an artist, sure he wrote some bops for ESTABLISHED artists, but he was never a huge artist and he didn't write good enough to break new artists/give struggling artists a hit. but i get it, rep your city. :dead:

No one cares about him yet he’s wrote their biggest hits for artists like Drake and Rihanna and recently has penned tracks for SZA, Summer Walker and Ella Mai, some of the biggest names in modern R&B. Why would they be reaching out to a nikka that “no one cares about as an artist” but seek his artistry (style/songwriting/production)

I also just named 3 male artists (Giveon, Brent Faiyaz, 6Lack) who are all heavily influenced by him and bit his style and those 3 dudes are all relatively successful streaming and touring artists (10+ million listeners a month) so what the fukk are you actually talking about? Just because rhe nikka wasn’t huge mainstream like a Chris Brown or Usher doesn’t mean he didn’t have a massive
Impact on the genre the past decade.

904Lurker

R.I.P Young Dolph
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville,Fl
Any CB fans in here or people who listen to a lot of r&b? To me the idea that CB has surpassed MJ is ludicrous bullshyt, but I heard Joe Budden say it and his co-hosts agreed. Does CB have a classic album or has he impacted music in some major way over the last 20 years? I'm just curious, I've only heard singles. I've heard people and critics hail certain Rhianna/Usher/Beyonce albums as classics, but I've never heard anyone say that about a CB record.
As a R&B head and former Budden podcast listener those 3 are clowns

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As a R&B head and former Budden podcast listener those 3 are clowns
The argument was never Chris Brown surpassing MJ. They were saying he had more talents. Michael was obviously more musically gifted than Chris. But Mj wasn't a talented painter, hardly wrote his own songs, couldn't hoop and you definitely didn't hear him spitting no 16. Also Chris brown can do all of Mj's moves but could Mj do his? In terms of what Chris brown could do with his body he edges Mj out. This is a Hardcore Mj fan saying this as well.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
No one cares about him yet he’s wrote their biggest hits for artists like Drake and Rihanna and recently has penned tracks for SZA, Summer Walker and Ella Mai, some of the biggest names in modern R&B. Why would they be reaching out to a nikka that “no one cares about as an artist” but seek his artistry (style/songwriting/production)

I also just named 3 male artists (Giveon, Brent Faiyaz, 6Lack) who are all heavily influenced by him and bit his style and those 3 dudes are all relatively successful streaming and touring artists (10+ million listeners a month) so what the fukk are you actually talking about? Just because rhe nikka wasn’t huge mainstream like a Chris Brown or Usher doesn’t mean he didn’t have a massive
Impact on the genre the past decade.
i said as much, he was able to write hits for established artists, but couldn't do the same for himself up up and comers, that tells you that the pen aint that strong, it was brand recognition that made those songs pop just as much or more than the writing. and of course when you pen a song for rih and drake that takes off, people reach out, but that success doesn't always translate. even the dream couldn't make people care about ciara more despite penning tracks for her.

i don't see the similarity with Giveon, that nikka is a sampha/khalid hybrid, 6lack is eric belllinger meets ty Dolla. and the others is a stretch too, PND made music that sounded like what all the r&b nikkas was doing in that era - Ty, Chris, Bryson, August, Eric Bellinger on the writing side, Weeknd pre-crossover, Kirko Bangz to an extent. But cool, PND fathered everyone :dead:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
your kids grown, people out with with kids under 12/13 are still in charge of their listening - parental controls on youtube, spotify, internet browsers, etc block explicit music, then the fact these kids are pretty much under their parents watch most the time, they're listening to what their parents play in the car or at home. most people's taste in music is greatly influenced by what their parents listened to, even if they depart and have a different genre they prefer down the line, we all remember and know what our parents played.

there's definitely a bunch of under 10's with parents who'd love to be playing r&b around them, but they can't/won't due to how explicit the content is. my parents didn;t have that issue, they could slap toni braxton or anita baker and not worry about it and i could hand them my brandy or 112 album and have them play it in the car without being offended.
Yeah I was just asking cause I didn’t know. Damn near every little kid I see now has their own headphones and their own phone listening to whatever.

I know for me coming up my family didn’t give a damn. The first tape I bought with my own money was Digital Underground Sex Packets when I was 7 or 8. I stayed with a Walkman. But yeah I picked up a lot of my parents listening habits too so I get you on the explicit R&B.

The difference being though that our parents didn’t come up on that explicit music in the first place. Our generation did so I do see a lot of parents that don’t see a big problem with letting their kids hear it. I personally never played explicit music around my kids but I did catch them listening to it in their own. fukked me up when I saw my daughter listening to some damn City Girls.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
The argument was never Chris Brown surpassing MJ. They were saying he had more talents. Michael was obviously more musically gifted than Chris. But Mj wasn't a talented painter, hardly wrote his own songs, couldn't hoop and you definitely didn't hear him spitting no 16. Also Chris brown can do all of Mj's moves but could Mj do his? In terms of what Chris brown could do with his body he edges Mj out. This is a Hardcore Mj fan saying this as well.
I look at it like comparing KG to Shaq. KG is an all-time great. Can do everything on the court and is technically more talented than Shaq. Both all time greats. KG can dribble, pass, post up, more versatile defensively. But everybody would take the dominance of Shaq even if it’s not as well rounded.

Yeah Chris Brown and do all this other shyt but who cares. When it came to making music and performing he ain’t MJ.