Chris Brown Upset About Album Sales

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
we're having a r&b discussion no? was usher making EDM songs received as Usher still running r&b? no...his complete commercial falloff wasn't' until the album after raymond vs raymond, but being the nikka who ran r&b? he started falling off during the here i stand/raymond era
When he'd drop more traditional R&B he was still hitting strong until I'd say 2014-15. Tracks like Climax, Hot Toddie, I Don't Mind, No Limit he was still hitting top 40. It's just he wasn't releasing as many R&B singles due to the success his EDM music was having at the same time. To me, that's not a fall off but more a directional change by him but shows that he could still bank in the R&B lane if she chose that route so I don't consider it a fall off. How many R&B artists were really outdoing him at that point?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
:russ: You right actually

Nah PND woulda broke through any era cause he came with his own unique sound. He really in that R Kelly/Dream lane with the songwriting production aspect and he birthed all these new era R&B nikkas with his style/sound

The dude just so rich and living the high life in LA he could give a fukk about releasing any music
I’m with you on PND’s influence, I just think if your music is turn up, smoking on the opps or talking about the pain in the trenches you’re not going to make noise
Everyone is doing the wild and thug and fukk shyt. You can make clean songs that both Adults and children can fukk with. Chris browns clean tracks are his biggest songs in his catalogue if we really want to go there.
What’s a clean song that’s big in 2022?

There’s barely any love/relationship songs that are big

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Usher's post Confessions was hit and miss. Here I Stand wasn't very well received even though "Love In This Club" went #1. He dropped "Papers" in like '09 after the divorce and it was buzz worthy enough to have people thinking we might've been getting Confessions Pt. 2. But then came "Lil' Freak" and "Daddy's Home" and it confused everybody. Remember "Hottie Tottie". Then he transitioned into full blown EMD. "There Goes My Baby" is the only R&B record that came from that era that is noteworthy. Ironically, he had that Verzuz EP.

Then there's Lookin To Myself, which was another head scratcher. "Climax" was a great song, but he got accused of biting Weeknd. Then he followed up with "Lemme See" featuring Rick Ross.

After that, Usher has been in limbo with a bunch of singles that didn't catch on while a few of them hit, but nothing of the magnitude of what we'd come to expect of Usher. Everybody was waiting on Usher to reclaim that top spot, but he was out here rockin David Crockett hats at award shows and on The Voice. Yeah, a funny looking hat worked for Pharrell, but "Happy" was #1 before he started rockin the hat.

I remember the demand for that Usher/Lil Jon/Luda song that was played during that Lil Jon Verzuz against T-Pain. It didn't drop until weeks later, but by then the buzz had nearly died.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m with you on PND’s influence, I just think if your music is turn up, smoking on the opps or talking about the pain in the trenches you’re not going to make noise

What’s a clean song that’s big in 2022?

There’s barely any love/relationship songs that are big
Because there's no one doing that in R&B and Rap doing shyt like that. You go look on what the top songs on billboard, Spotify or Youtube and I guarrantee you the most songs even though they are a different genre they are clean. Chris ain't going to get on the top of the charts doing the shyt he's doing now. On his new album give me one song you could play in front of your child without having the clean version?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
When he'd drop more traditional R&B he was still hitting strong until I'd say 2014-15. Tracks like Climax, Hot Toddie, I Don't Mind, No Limit he was still hitting top 40. It's just he wasn't releasing as many R&B singles due to the success his EDM music was having at the same time. To me, that's not a fall off but more a directional change by him but shows that he could still bank in the R&B lane if she chose that route so I don't consider it a fall off. How many R&B artists were really outdoing him at that point?
Jeremih
Ty
Weeknd
Miguel
August alsina
Trey songz
Pnd
Chris brown

Hell damn near everyone that was hot during 2014-15 was putting out better music than him. Usher put out the worse music of his career in the 10s.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Because there's no one doing that in R&B and Rap doing shyt like that. You go look on what the top songs on billboard, Spotify or Youtube and I guarrantee you the most songs even though they are a different genre they are clean.
Rap is the biggest genre. Male R&B got swallowed by rap.

There’s plenty of clean R&B out there’s it’s just not mainstream. If you want mainstream appeal you got make something like rap

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rap is the biggest genre. Male R&B got swallowed by rap.

There’s plenty of clean R&B out there’s it’s just not mainstream. If you want mainstream appeal you got make something like rap
Not if your Chris Brown you don't and who Lucky Daye? H.E.R? Summer Walker? I'll give you Giveon.

Daps
I wasn't alive to see thriller, but even I understand how impactful it is because it's an anomaly. It was able to accomplish the unthinkable for it's time & even now hasn't been done since.

Confessions is an anomaly. It's a pillar of the r&b genre. People who's not even r&b fans like that recognize how great that album is. It broke records.

Chris doesn't have an album of that caliber. Most of his fans simply cherry pick albums that have no cultural significance on any genre of music & call it a classic.

A lot of y'all need to actually look at the numbers instead going by purely your opinion.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
r&b died in 2012, being the king of ant hill isn't impressive...even so, chris was king by then. and you're making the point i already made, a dude like usher will find a single or feature to be on that occasionally charts well, that does not mean they are still in their prime, they're putting up more duds or overlooked songs than wins. usher was not in his prime in 14...dude ran 97-08, that's commendable, but after that his sales and influence began to decline. again, some of yall are acting like this is saying he became a full on shytty artist, he didn't, he's still a great singer and dancer who takes his craft seriously, but 2014 was not the usher era

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We’re talking about male R&B

Lucky Daye is mainstream?
You said plenty of clean R&B thats not mainstream i'm asking from who. The one that sticks out right now that does pretty clean R&B is Giveon.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
It’s 2022. You sound crazy right now
he's not, the biggest r&b artists always had multigenerational reach, a dude like chris, and a lot of these women, limit their success by appealing to a much smaller segment of people ~15-34 who want to hear all that ratchetry (and the careless parents that let their under 15's listen to a ton of vulgar music (- i grew up listening to that stuff too but in rap, but r&b wasn't like that).

chris aint gotta make bubblegum pop but it's just as easy to sing about sex without using the word "p*ssy" or "fukking", you can still get the point across without doing it in the lowest common denominator language. there's nothing artistic about that and it definitely further limits the # of people who can or want to listen to that.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
You said plenty of clean R&B thats not mainstream i'm asking from who. The one that sticks out right now that does pretty clean R&B is Giveon.
Vedo
Kenyon Dixon
Blxst
Pink Sweats
DVSN