Chuck D On Straight Outta Compton & No Public Enemy Movie

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
It Takes a Nation of Millions is often in the conversation for best rap album of all time. Fear of a Black Planet is sometimes mentioned for that as well. I have never heard of Straight Outta Compton being in that conversation.
bro no one in real life can name a PE album

Daps
Dead to who? You? Again, youre a delusional east coast nikka who thinks your opinion is fact. Bone riding halfway across the country to freestyle for eazy e> wu tang existence. Kids in 2015 can relate to that sacrifice and grind.

Also BONE first hiphop act to go DIAMOND. (e. 1999 eternal)

TheSpook

Banned
Daps
Also BONE first hiphop act to go DIAMOND. (e. 1999 eternal)
Real hip hop fans know the deal. Is Wu better than Bone? If you say so. More intriguing? Hell no. Beef with Deathrow beef with Eazy wife. Collabs with Pac and Bone. Group beef. Flesh 8 year prison sentence. Crossroads. Man I can go on. What Wu got? The purple tape? Lol so exciting! Shut that shyt up.

Daps
Real hip hop fans know the deal. Is Wu better than Bone? If you say so. More intriguing? Hell no. Beef with Deathrow beef with Eazy wife. Collabs with Pac and Bone. Group beef. Flesh 8 year prison sentence. Crossroads. Man I can go on. What Wu got? The purple tape? Lol so exciting! Shut that shyt up.

Trum nikkas be dikkriding wu bc other hiphop heads b4 them did...like white ppl with the beatles

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Straight Outta Compton effect: prepare to see a lot more rap films

The Straight Outta Compton effect: prepare to see a lot more rap films
The success of the NWA film has seen a renewed interest in formerly floundering biopics about the likes of Tupac, Ol’ Dirty b*stard and Public Enemy.

Straight Outta Compton has wildly exceeded expectations at the box office. In its second weekend the NWA biopic surged past the $100m mark – blockbuster status – and it only cost $29m to make. It will certainly top 2002’s 8 Mile, starring Eminem, which made about $117m. The last high-profile rap movie to hit multiplexes, 2009’s Notorious, did well too, nearly doubling its $20m budget. You don’t need an MBA to suspect that Hollywood is now taking notice and ready to make more money out of hip-hop biopics.

There have already been reports of a Straight Outta Compton sequel, which would take up roughly where the original left off, focusing on Tha Dogg Pound, Snoop Dogg and Tupac. This would make a certain sense, considering that Straight Outta Compton ends abruptly, with Snoop and Tupac appearing only briefly, and Tha Dogg Pound (AKA Daz and Kurupt) barely getting any screen time at all. I seriously doubt it will have the title that Daz mentioned to TMZ – Dogg Pound 4 Life – however. For the film to have serious Hollywood backing it would probably need to focus on Snoop or Tupac, who are household names. (A representative for the studio behind the original, Universal, says it has no plans for a Straight Outta Compton sequel.)

Speaking of Tupac, Straight Outta Compton’s success seems likely to finally bring about a biopic about him. The most recent version was slated to be directed by Boyz N the Hood director John Singleton, who also directed ’Pac in Poetic Justice. But actor Marcc Rose, who played him in Straight Outta Compton and who bears an uncanny resemblance to the late rapper, says that he and Singleton are currently in talks about bringing the project to life.

A true Straight Outta Compton sequel – at least in the spiritual sense – would probably require the involvement of Ice Cube. Unlike his co-producer Dr Dre, who was initially skeptical about the NWA film, Cube long pushed for it. But since their musical pathways diverged when Cube went solo in 1989, he wasn’t especially involved in the careers of Snoop, Tupac or Tha Dogg Pound. Hence, he probably wouldn’t be much invested in a film about them. Closer to his heart would be a film about Public Enemy, who have long been closely aligned with Cube (their producers the Bomb Squad co-produced his first album Amerikkka’s Most Wanted).

When asked about such a film recently, Cube said he was game. For his part, Public Enemy’s leader Chuck D didn’t show as much enthusiasm – “I ain’t acting in it, and I ain’t writing the script. Where do I figure into Hollywood?” he told the Washington Post – but he didn’t rule out the idea completely either.

It’s easy to see why a Public Enemy movie might work as well as an NWA one. The groups gained popularity in the same era – hip-hop’s golden age, in the late 80s and early 90s – against a politically charged backdrop, each fighting the effects of Reaganism. But more importantly, they’re at the center of an emerging, hugely-popular new genre of music: classic rap. Just as classic rock became a dominant radio format a few decades after the dawn of rock ‘n’ roll, classic rap stations are now spreading across the country. In the same way Paul and John, and Mick and Keith, are being re-discovered by each subsequent generation, Dre and Snoop, and Chuck D and Flava Flav, are now beloved by kids who weren’t yet born when they were in their heyday. Not to mention that the now-middle aged folks who grew up with this music are a potent demographic, as well. Straight Outta Compton showed just how much strong this fan base is.

Could it even work for the Ice Cream Man? Why not? No Limit Records founder Master P never reached the mainstream in the way NWA did, but his label sold millions upon millions of albums, and a generation of fans now thinks of it as “oldies”. So perhaps, then, one shouldn’t be surprised that the Master P biopic has begun holding casting calls.

Indeed, artists from previous eras, who are no longer on the charts, tend to make the most compelling subjects for these types of films. I’d love to see a biopic on Lil Wayne, for example, but one suspects that if it were released 20 years from now, it would be a lot juicier content. (In the meantime, The Carter is one of the best music documentaries I’ve ever seen.)

To be honest, Straight Outta Compton’s tribute to Eazy-E made me long for something similar about another deceased great. And so I say: Bring on the Ol’ Dirty b*stard biopic, already!

"Bu bu but Cube never should've worked with Hollywood since he said it should burn in a song:damn:"

Meanwhile Cube making movies that show black folks in a positive but more important,a real light....Cube laying the groundwork for other great groups like PE to have they stories told,by putting out a great AND profitable movie:wow:....But unfortunately it sounds like Chuck just isn't that interested and wont be lifting a finger to get it done,which if he's not eager to be involved theres no reason to make this movie because I don't wanna see it,if the main act of the group wants no parts:mjlol:

Lets keep it funky though,I think PE fans don't really want this shyt to happen either subconciously,because they know Flav would have to be a focal point,and they dont want that....almost like they are ashamed of Flav:mjcry:...Doesn't mean Chuck wont shine,theres no way you couldn't showcase Chuck as the leader of the PE,just like there was no way you could make it seem like anybody other than Eazy was the leader of NWA....no matter how much popular Cube or Dre got later,how many millions they have,or movies they made.

I want to see Chuck as the leader struggle with the decision he made to kick Griff out,along with how Flav was handled when they tried beating him into quitting crack,thats a powerful scene right there,i can see it now:mjcry:

Flav might have to be the glue of a PE movie like Eazy was in SOC,but I didn't think Cube or Dre didn't shine,my man Ren didn't,but Yella got enough action considering he's Yella:pachaha:

If Chuck don't want it,and PE fans seem resistant and self defeatist,time to move on to the next group....Ghetto Boys?Bone?The Click:banderas:

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
:camby: give the n1ggas some shyt they can further ENTERTAIN us with ...........all us blacks got is SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT smh

how bout ALL PROFITS from compton album go to building affordable housing for working class people struggling with extortionist landord RENT policies

how bout ALL PROFITS from compton album go to building a job skills training center free of government oversight and of no charge to the public

"how bout ALL PROFITS from compton album go to minority led private security firms culled from people of the community as an alternative to oppressive police"

:manny:

:salute:

Real shyt, I'm a NWA stan, but this is reality to the fullest.

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
if they put out a PE movie amd expect it to do the numbers the NWA movie did the doors are going to close for these rap biopics

Wu would work tho

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
if they put out a PE movie amd expect it to do the numbers the NWA movie did the doors are going to close for these rap biopics

Wu would work tho

:mjpls:

That PE flick done in the right way would spark a revival of black films of this era.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
:camby: give the n1ggas some shyt they can further ENTERTAIN us with ...........all us blacks got is SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT smh

how bout ALL PROFITS from compton album go to building affordable housing for working class people struggling with extortionist landord RENT policies

how bout ALL PROFITS from compton album go to building a job skills training center free of government oversight and of no charge to the public

how bout ALL PROFITS from compton album go to minority led private security firms culled from people of the community as an alternative to oppressive police

:manny:

:gladbron: at this post still. Brehs actually say that street knowledge is more important than knowledge of self.