"City Lights" by Charlie Chaplin (The Coli Movie Club)

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I've been waiting my turn....and debating on where I wanted to send the Movie Club.....

I decided to turn you guys onto a nearly forgotten era of classic film. The silent era featured so much creativity and so much innovation, it's a shame that so many people are blind to it's quality.

No one epitomizes the genius of the era more than Charlie Chaplin. I settled on City Lights because while most of his films are a pretty easy watch, I think this may be his most accessible and widely appealing.

Plus, for anyone who may be hesitant to jump into a silent film (as I was for YEARS), City Lights is under 90 minutes....so the commitment is minimal. Unless you fall in love with the genre and spend the rest of the day watching Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd classics :D

680_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

City Lights, the most cherished film by Charlie Chaplin, is also his ultimate Little Tramp chronicle. The writer-director-star achieved new levels of grace, in both physical comedy and dramatic poignancy, with this silent tale of a lovable vagrant falling for a young blind woman who sells flowers on the street (a magical Virginia Cherrill) and mistakes him for a millionaire. Though this Depression-era smash was made after the advent of sound, Chaplin remained steadfast in his love for the expressive beauty of the pre-talkie form. The result was the epitome of his art and the crowning achievement of silent comedy.

It's available on Hulu Plus for those who have it....but it's also on Youtube.

I watched the Criterion Collection blu-ray release this morning :blessed:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
how do i untag myself from this

You can't call a movie "ass" if you've never seen it, breh. Feel free to skip a week if you don't want to watch it.

But the point of a club like this, IMO, is to watch films you might not otherwise watch.

And in particular films that, if you consider yourself a cinephile or a movie buff or whatever, you absolute must see.

City Lights is one of those films.

If you just want to keep watching the same thing over and over, go right ahead....no one is stopping you.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
good choice @HHR

it's listed at #34 on the imdb top 250 and is the lowest(or is it highest) ranked movie on that list i haven't seen and all the chaplins have been in my hulu queue for over a year

this will give me that push i need to finally watch it

i'll also get to cross it off 3 of my lists. #nerd

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You can't call a movie "ass" if you've never seen it, breh. Feel free to skip a week if you don't want to watch it.

But the point of a club like this, IMO, is to watch films you might not otherwise watch.

And in particular films that, if you consider yourself a cinephile or a movie buff or whatever, you absolute must see.

City Lights is one of those films.

If you just want to keep watching the same thing over and over, go right ahead....no one is stopping you.

:salute: if you think they're ass breh just post that in your review and patiently wait your turn to be picked so you can have your go at it but everyone's got different taste and this is the chance to see if those taste line up. FILM IS SUBJECTIVE