Classics Discussion: 8Ball & MJG

Which of these 8Ball & MJG albums are classic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I must say am I FLOORED by the vote on On Top Of The World.
No hate - but that's my least favorite Ball & G album, even though it's still pretty good.
Nah easily their best release overall. Everything came together on that album.

Suave House mid-late 90's >>>>>>>>

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
Ok so some of y'all will be familiar with a project I'm deciding to run. I made this thread: The Official 'Classic Album' Discussion Thread, trying to reach a conclusion as to what defines a classic album. After much discussion, I am running with this definition personally, so take it as you will when you consider your classic albums. But this definition in particular was most agreed upon.

Classic: 1. An album considered by consensus of the core hip hop community to be of the highest quality (doesn't have to be perfect or flawless, just an album that the consensus deems the shyt).
2. Assuming that condition 1 is met, is this an album that has stood the test of time amongst the core hip hop community? Is that an album still held in high regard, still referenced at least ten years after its release? By a consensus of the hip hop community?

Props to @mobbinfms for the definition and also for his help generally in helping me with ideas to create these threads.

So I'll be going through one artist per day, and I will list out all their discography or close to all of it until the year 2005, as we decided that an album needs at least 10 years of existence before it can be called a classic or not.

-----------------------------

To help bring even more attention to these threads, I'm gonna create a hashtag (again props to mobbinfms for the idea) and I urge you guys to click on the tag and click on the option to watch the tag.

Here it is: #coliclassics

----------------

8Ball & MJG are on deck!

8ballmjg.jpg

Let's begin!

I will be making a POLL. For each album I will present a YES or NO option so if you think that particular album is a classic, you click 'yes' on the poll for THAT album and vice-versa. The acceptance rate for an album to be deemed a CERTIFIED classic is 80%.

If you don't think an album is a classic, DO NOT LEAVE THE POLL BLANK. You vote NO for that album instead so at least we register your vote.

I will NOT count any comments in the thread as votes, you must use the poll. The comments section should be used for discussion only.

Tagging some mods:

@FreshAIG @That Singer Guy... @hustlemania @houston911 @SoulController
On top of the World is a classic. No if ands or buts. That album is superb. Ball and G were flawless on this album, and the production was on point.

If you ever want a feel for prime Ball and G make a playlist with on top of the world, eightball lost, and no more glory.

IMO they have best discography of any southern rap group.

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
On top of the World is a classic. No if ands or buts. That album is superb. Ball and G were flawless on this album, and the production was on point.

If you ever want a feel for prime Ball and G make a playlist with on top of the world, eightball lost, and no more glory.

IMO they have best discography of any southern rap group.

really? better than OutKast?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I feel like Eightball & MJG are getting played. They aren't a regional act. If anything, they are underrated. Out of their entire catalog, Comin' Out Hard is the classic. That album pioneered a lot from the sound and the content that can be heard on a lot of songs now (regardless of region).
They were definitely regional with their first two albums, if not the first three.
They have been revised, rightfully, as legends. But I don't think any of their albums have.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They were definitely regional with their first two albums, if not the first three.
They have been revised, rightfully, as legends. But I don't think any of their albums have.

You could say that about a lot of acts in the 90's. Eightball & MJG were never superstars, but to say they were regional is a discredit to them. They've never had big radio songs, yet their music still made an impact. I don't think anything about them has been revised. What happened was that as they grew in fame and popularity, people went back and checked their music.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also, Suave House was independent prior to the deal with Relativity, so of course they weren't going to be heard everywhere like that.

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps
I don't think The Infamous is regional tbh...it's transcended region

-----------------------------------------------------------

I think 8Ball & MJG are suffering from not having a clear stand-out album, and maybe two of their albums will get over 50% of yes votes and not enough to get classic status
:beli:

then they have 2 classics

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
this hurts my heart. you talk to any southern rap fan or artist and 8ball & MJG will come up. To quote Frank Ocean "when you met me I was 3 6, Pimp C, Bun B, 8ball and MJG"...To say they aint go no classics..:to: that's not fair. the south be getting ganked when its comes to this consensus talk, real shyt.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
this hurts my heart. you talk to any southern rap fan or artist and 8ball & MJG will come up. To quote Frank Ocean "when you met me I was 3 6, Pimp C, Bun B, 8ball and MJG"...To say they aint go no classics..:to: that's not fair. the south be getting ganked when its comes to this consensus talk, real shyt.

add 8Ball & MJG to the following list of albums/artists that didn't get the classic vote:

- Common
- Eminem
- Kanye West
- Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
- Wu-Tang Forever

:scust:

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
add 8Ball & MJG to the following list of albums/artists that didn't get the classic vote:

- Common
- Eminem
- Kanye West
- Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
- Wu-Tang Forever

:scust:
And to add insult to injury, i just saw that I missed the UGK thread where riding dirty got 79%
fd02503ed2877efe744386c77e1b070890c2153.gif

I cant right now. Im out this bytch.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
And to add insult to injury, i just saw that I missed the UGK thread where riding dirty got 79%
fd02503ed2877efe744386c77e1b070890c2153.gif

I cant right now. Im out this bytch.

nah breh it's a classic

unless I mis-counted, but I added it to the official list lol

shhh let's keep it that way

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Nah easily their best release overall.

I can't say that for certain. Like when other dude in here asked "what's their best release?"
I don't think you could say, because each was a little different, and they were all good.

On Top Of The World has a couple of my most favorite Ball & G songs, but it also has some of my least favorite.

And even outside of my personal feelings, the point of these discussion is: would most hip-hop fans
agree it's a classic? I didn't know people were feeling this album like that...but I guess it makes sense,
seeing as how this is the album of theirs that was poppin' the most at the time it was released.