Classics Discussion: Kool G Rap & DJ Polo; Kool G Rap

Which of these Kool G Rap & DJ Polo; Kool G Rap albums are classic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
Changed my vote to yes. :yeshrug:

:blessed:

Long Live the Kane is so GOAT

Okay, imma have to go there...

I've been listening to rap music all my life, mayne...but yet and still, I didn't know who Kool G Rap was until
my mid-teens...and I was pretty up on my chit. There isn't that much that got by me, especially if it was mainstream
or common knowledge.

So if Kool G Rap was that major and I don't know his work, i'd be hard-pressed to call any of it "classic" in this discussion.
I know he was influential because I've heard that from (many) other rappers' mouths, and I know he is great because I've
gone back and listened to some of his work - but I've never heard of anyone (much less a bunch of people, which is what
this discussion is about) speak about a particular album of his being his magnum opus, or being in the realm of the elite
albums.

Like - I know the "greatest songs" of Kool G Rap...but I couldn't tell you what albums they were on.
Any album can't be classic, if the lions' share of folks don't know that chit.

That's why I fell back from voting in this thread.

I've listened for most of my life and I found out about G Rap pretty early on
:manny:

I know he isn't on the same level of exposure as the other 3 'Mt. Rushmore' rappers but he was still a member of one of the biggest crews that existed.

I mean I can see your reasoning but tbh this is a hip-hop circle discussion not a mainstream one so people like G Rap should be rewarded, especially when as you said, other rappers' mouths were uttering these words.

Regarding a stand-out album, you're right. Also I'm not about giving every album a classic, that's the point of these polls, to reward the ones that genuinely deserve such status. I just feel that Live & Let Die is one of those albums.

This is the same forum that gave Common 0 classics smh...I'm still salty about that.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
I've listened for most of my life and I found out about G Rap pretty early on
:manny:

I know he isn't on the same level of exposure as the other 3 'Mt. Rushmore' rappers but he was still a member of one of the biggest crews that existed.

So was Craig G. And Roxanne Shante. And Masta Ace. And Kurupt. And Daz. And K-Solo. And U-God. They don't have classics albums either.

I mean I can see your reasoning but tbh this is a hip-hop circle discussion not a mainstream one so people like G Rap should be rewarded, especially when as you said, other rappers' mouths were uttering these words.

But here's the thing: other rappers talk about how he was influential - that doesn't mean he has made a classic album.
That puts him in a class with other influential rappers who haven't made a classic. Something is either a classic or it's not.

Being fair - this is where the "masterpiece" concept comes in. It could very well be that he has a "masterpiece" that just
isn't seen as a classic.

Regarding a stand-out album, you're right. Also I'm not about giving every album a classic, that's the point of these polls, to reward the ones that genuinely deserve such status. I just feel that Live & Let Die is one of those albums.

I would say the real point of these polls should be learning. The best part about them to me is: Maybe I always thought most people didn't care about (insert album), but come to find out most people do. It's encouraged me to step out of my personal feelings about an album and consider not just the music itself, but the effect it has had. That gets you past your own biases, which a lot of times can make you be unfair.

This is the same forum that gave Common 0 classics smh...I'm still salty about that.

But Common doesn't have any classics, bro!
That doesn't mean he can't rap or anything, it just is what it is...

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
So was Craig G. And Roxanne Shante. And Masta Ace. And Kurupt. And Daz. And K-Solo. And U-God. They don't have classics albums either.

But here's the thing: other rappers talk about how he was influential - that doesn't mean he has made a classic album.
That puts him in a class with other influential rappers who haven't made a classic. Something is either a classic or it's not.

Being fair - this is where the "masterpiece" concept comes in. It could very well be that he has a "masterpiece" that just
isn't seen as a classic.

I would say the real point of these polls should be learning. The best part about them to me is: Maybe I always thought most people didn't care about (insert album), but come to find out most people do. It's encouraged me to step out of my personal feelings about an album and consider not just the music itself, but the effect it has had. That gets you past your own biases, which a lot of times can make you be unfair.

But Common doesn't have any classics, bro!
That doesn't mean he can't rap or anything, it just is what it is...

I understand your logic and I agree with it, but not with your application of it. I still think G Rap has 1 classic and Common at least 2. But respect nonetheless.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Okay, imma have to go there...

I've been listening to rap music all my life, mayne...but yet and still, I didn't know who Kool G Rap was until
my mid-teens...and I was pretty up on my chit. There isn't that much that got by me, especially if it was mainstream
or common knowledge.

So if Kool G Rap was that major and I don't know his work, i'd be hard-pressed to call any of it "classic" in this discussion.
I know he was influential because I've heard that from (many) other rappers' mouths, and I know he is great because I've
gone back and listened to some of his work - but I've never heard of anyone (much less a bunch of people, which is what
this discussion is about) speak about a particular album of his being his magnum opus, or being in the realm of the elite
albums.

Like - I know the "greatest songs" of Kool G Rap...but I couldn't tell you what albums they were on.
Any album can't be classic, if the lions' share of folks don't know that chit.

That's why I fell back from voting in this thread.
Based on your posts, you're qualified to vote on anything breh. We all aren't gonna have the same experiences :yeshrug:
It's a little odd that you weren't up on G Rap until your mid teens, but I understand why. My first introduction to G was in 92 when I caught the Ill Street Blues video. I was 11-12 at the time. I remember watching the shyt like :ohhh:
And then running to get a piece of paper to write down the name of the song so I could cop next time I was at a record store :lolbron:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Ended up voting for Road To a the Riches. Relied upon its inclusion in the Source 100 list. :yeshrug:
I really like the first three albums, but I think the knock on G has always been that he never really delivered a classic.
Can someone make the case for Live and Let Die standing the test of time :ohhh:
And this shows the power of brainwashing by east coast bias mags.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
My original Top 5 were

Men at Work
Road to Riches
Fast Life
On the Run (Am I the first to mention it?)
Ill Street Blues

BUT then I remembered that I HAD to add these 2

can't find the explicit video...but I have it on VHS lol

Send them to chop shops like Civics, all for poppin up on the wrong blocks to visit

..With two mamis handing me thrills, Vivica Fox bodies, Vanity grills (dime b!tches)