Classics Discussion: Mobb Deep & Big Pun

Which of these Mobb Deep and Big Pun albums are classic?

• Juvenile Hell: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Juvenile Hell: NO

Votes: 57 68.7%
  • The Infamous: YES

Votes: 73 88.0%
  • The Infamous: NO

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Hell on Earth: YES

Votes: 63 75.9%
  • Hell on Earth: NO

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Murda Muzik: YES

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • Murda Muzik: NO

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Infamy: YES

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Infamy: NO

Votes: 53 63.9%
  • Amerikaz Nightmare: YES

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Amerikaz Nightmare: NO

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • Capital Punishment: YES

Votes: 56 67.5%
  • Capital Punishment: NO

Votes: 18 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Hell on Earth for me has all the makings of a classic in quality, but what else does it bring to the table?

Capital Punishment I'm actually gonna change my vote to yes upon reflection.
I got you breh. I'll make the argument tonight. I'll start by dropping this.
mobb-deep-hell-on-earth-3.jpg

Hell on Earth Dropped November 19, 1996 :wow:
Let's start the celebration early :blessed:
I copped on release date :wow:
On cassette :wow:
Played the album every day for at least 6 months straight :wow:
Album was 5 mics easily but the Source accidentally gave it 4.5 :francis:
Capture+d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran+2013-06-22+a%CC%80+18.15.51.png

Capture+d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran+2013-06-22+a%CC%80+18.16.00.png

The roll out of the album was a mess :francis:
Drop A Gem on Em was supposed to be the lead single:

But Pac got murdered :mjcry:
So they had to cancel that. :mjcry:
Luckily the disses were so creative, that they didn't even need to say Pac's name and they could keep the song on the album :wow:
The Source had God Pt. 3 as a Sure Shot Single before the album dropped:

But that ended up being the second single :francis:
They ended up going with the title track...with P's legendary second verse :wow:

There was a video for this song...but it doesn't appear to be on Youtube :ohhh:
The Infamous is the Greatest Album of All Time, and as dark of an album as that is, the Mobb somehow managed to drop an even darker follow up :blessed:And we all know that there are Hell on Earth stans who will tell you it's better than the Infamous :jbhmm:
P was an absolute beast on the album - killing verse after verse :scust:
GOAT
Hav went for dolo on the beats and solidified his spot as the greatest producer ever :wow:
I wish I could go back and experience hearing this masterpiece for the first time :mjcry:
I envy the young brehs who will be hearing this for the first time :mjcry:
#tpc
#tnt
@charmander
@TheDarceKnight
@torcher
@shopant
@JuvenileHell
@ISOMELO
It's too many dunns to list :wow:
mobb-deep-rap-o.gif

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
I got you breh. I'll make the argument tonight. I'll start by dropping this.

why can't I fukking rep anymore?

anyway you got another argument after this?
:krs:

but that being said, with all I've read, what separates this album from a Stress: The Extinction Agenda? Is that album even a classic either?

Looking forward to see what you gotta say. P's 2nd verse on title track is legendary. Maybe his best.

Also....

NasirJr

★CAROLINAS FINEST★
Daps
Reppin
The NCarolina
What is wrong with you?

Supreme Clientele has influence of its own, just through the production techniques alone, not to mention Ghost brought a whole new style of rhyming to the game...the stream-of-consciousness flow. All of this IN ADDITION to quality.

Hell on Earth has the quality. Where's the other shyt it brings to the table? How many times must I ask this question?
The production on Hell on Earth is some of Hav's best and really pushed the hardcore gangsta shyt to a new level. Are you trying to say God Pt 3 had no impact? I'm a young nikka and I know this. The impact on Infamous is bigger because of Shook ones

arel

lately ive been seeing girls wearing football kits
Daps
Nobody's explaining why Hell on Earth is a classic?

:why:

inb4 "coz it's dope"

I know that already...
1. An album considered by consensus of the core hip hop community to be of the highest quality (doesn't have to be perfect or flawless, just an album that the consensus deems the shyt).
2. Assuming that condition 1 is met, is this an album that has stood the test of time amongst the core hip hop community? Is that an album still held in high regard, still referenced at least ten years after its release? By a consensus of the hip hop community?

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
The production on Hell on Earth is some of Hav's best and really pushed the hardcore gangsta shyt to a new level. Are you trying to say God Pt 3 had no impact? I'm a young nikka and I know this. The impact on Infamous is bigger because of Shook ones

If the production was innovative on that album then I'll buy into its classic status. Until I see proof or a real argument put forward I'm gonna stick to my stance. Subject matter was not innovative, it was more a continuation of The Infamous but on a darker level and more of a mafioso element to it, which was being run to the ground in 1996 anyway.

I love the album though, I don't want anyone to get it twisted.

Also The Infamous is more than Shook Ones. It's a cornerstone of New York rap because of the way stories were presented, because it was not necessarily glorifying violence but presenting it as a necessary evil, also because it was real and honest situations one would find themselves in on the streets, and the first person storytelling made it all the more personal and relatable. Plus we were introduced to Havoc's enhanced production for the very first time, so all that put together, in addition to something as groundbreaking as Shook Ones makes it the classic it is.

Hell on Earth is an awesome follow-up, almost matching it blow for blow in quality, but it needs way more than that. I might be oblivious to what else it brings to the table, which is why I'm posing the question, asking anybody to convince me it deserves the CLASSIC label.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
1. An album considered by consensus of the core hip hop community to be of the highest quality (doesn't have to be perfect or flawless, just an album that the consensus deems the shyt).
2. Assuming that condition 1 is met, is this an album that has stood the test of time amongst the core hip hop community? Is that an album still held in high regard, still referenced at least ten years after its release? By a consensus of the hip hop community?

The thing is this is the kinda definition we can look back on AFTER we get all the classics listed, because it reflects on what this definition is taking about, consensus. I can only speak for MYSELF.

Also there can be levels of consensus. The Infamous for me is consensus. HOE doesn't have quite the overall support for a classic label that The Infamous does. Also where's the test of time? I hardly see it being mentioned.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
P's final verse on HoE is arguably one of the GOATs I've heard, he just went off :wow:

:mjcry:

Prodigy use to be so :demonic:

:salute: to a musical masterpiece

Weather is perfect for this album round my way.
when it gets cold, im like :ahh: time to bust out that hell on earth dunnn

My fave and best mobb deep album!!!!

apostle warning:ohlawd: even the z list mobb affiliates sounded dope on this

The overall sound

Havoc's production on this

:myman:

My Goat Mobb album.

I remember hearing Still Shining before the album dropped I was like :krs:

One of my favorite albums ever. P on still shining was just :banderas:

As a side note this album made me realize I'm a fan of the "transition" albums. What I mean is a lot of classic first albums define an era (illmatic, infamous, etc). But the next album deals with the transition (success, beef, etc). This was a dark period for mobb deep and the music reflects that "fukk that I'm ready to kill everything" attitude.

Mobb's second classic in a row. My favorite Mobb Deep album. And one of my favorite albums ever.

Best Mobb Deep album :blessed:

Prime overcast/Wintertime music :wow:

Fukk outta here, this is the second album I ever owned. Got it when it dropped, top 5 album.

The 20 year anniversary thread deserves better than this. Or at least just make a appreciation thread, not a 19 year anniversary one.

Yep. I had it and it was fukked up. There was no animal instinct with it and the cd rom didn't work. At the time I brought it, I was only 13 years old and that was like the third or fourth cd I've ever brought so had no clue that I had a bad disc. :sadcam: I thought the first song was drop a gem on em for the longest until I heard animal instinct and found out that was supposed to be the first song.

Eventually resold it to coconuts or whatever that store was called and brought another version that had all the songs on it except the bonus track 6 years later.

Mobb Deep will always be the GOAT rap group to me. Prodigy is top 3.

I love the style of production Havoc used on Hell On Earth, Noyd's debut EP, and It Was Written. He was using a lot of really short samples and making them sound straight epic.

:salute: QB's and Hip Hop's grimiest:ohlawd:

tumblr_nsu9smTGBJ1udukbjo1_1280.jpg

That's my GOAT duo :banderas:

Yall already said what I wanted to say already. Hell On Earth is a classic, and P was just on some other shyt on that album. Apostle's Warning, Hell On earth, that was some of the best stuff I've heard from P.
Vote yes for Infamous and Hell on Earth brehs.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Havoc really came through w/ a different sound, such a dope time for hip-hop, and not even just the East coast stuff.

"Shook Ones" still gets me amped. :wow:

Prodigy was a top 5 emcee all time on HoE and Havoc is a top 5 all time producer, so basically this album is GOAT status for me :blessed:

The Infamous, Hell On Earth, Murda Muzik are one of the few holy trifectas in Hip Hop :banderas:

Drop A Gem On Em > Every East vs West Coast diss :blessed:

Get mad :jawalrus:

Perfect time of year to break this out too. I'll read the thread and drop some stuff in here tonight after work. daps/reps.

In the long run was a track that was on the enhanced cd....I do remember clicking on certain things and hearing P's voice but I forget what that nikka was saying....this cd is somewhere at my mom's house....

So classic...every record is crackkkk...i love get dealt with ...extortion ...still shinin as my top 3....n add g.o.d pt 3 after hours remix too awwww maaannn

I remember the first down sitting down in front of my stereo playing this cd after i got it from sam goody's.

The "More Trife Life" beat literally gave me goosebumps on my arm cuz the shyt sounded so haunting
:sadcam::wow:

Murda Musik P was just as disgusting as Hell on Earth Albert. The off beat delivery was straight haunting

That nikka was so grimey on this shyt. .....

One of the best produced albums In hip hop imo

Top 5 for me

Havoc was a monster. And prodigy and nas pretty much started slant rhyming or made it popular. To be honest I was young so this is just from my memory

Classic in every sense of the word. :blessed:

I was just listening to that mixtape earlier today and came across this post

Album is so dark yet comforting in the Fall/Winter
:noah:

P was a monster on this shyt:mjcry:

Listening to top notch Hav production got me hating generic trap beats even more.

He could maintain that gritty dark feeling with out repeating him self over and over again.

So creative :blessed:

:salute: @mobbinfms for this thread

Always reppin' the Mobb to the fullest...anyways came here to appreciate this holy grail of an album.

Classic in every sense of the word. :wow:

The production on this shyt is another level of :scustHHH: in a good way of course.

I'll just leave y'all with this...

First time I heard that beat and the Still Shinin' one I shed a tear. :wow: :mjcry:

That QB sound :wow:

:wow:"Rob land like white man"

@mobbinfms just dropped a gem thread on em:trillmatic:
QB music stay winning:naswon:

I think that was Wu-tang Forever

I remember the 1st day I bought this tape and fukked it up in my tape player at home and took it back the next day and told em it was defective. :russ: This album still doesnt get the credit it deserves

MAN DOWN...MAN DOWN!!!!!!!!!!! LAY THE fukk DOWN!!!!

Big Noyd in the beginning. :ahh:

Still Shinin' still remains one of those tracks i bump with the windows down no matter the season!! That beat is :ohlawd:. "Keepin these rap fans like crack fiends:feedme:
Vote yes for Infamous and Hell on Earth (vote the other albums too)