CM Punk reportedly not satisfied with AEW

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
We’ve seen how far being the super indie approach has taken them and now they have hit their ceiling, is there no desire to grow and get bigger?

If they are I dont think doing that particular WWE thing is whats gonna do it for them. WCW and TNA did that too and that didnt work.

This whole company exists cause people were like "What if an indie show could do more than 5k" and thats been their steez. They still have to maintain that identity.

All I think they need to is accept a main roster of guys that consistently show up every week and feuds carry over that people dont forget and maintain. Ratings will go up and down but even that ceiling makes them at worst the number 2 company (and they were always gonna be that)

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
If they are I dont think doing that particular WWE thing is whats gonna do it for them. WCW and TNA did that too and that didnt work.

This whole company exists cause people were like "What if an indie show could do more than 5k" and thats been their steez. They still have to maintain that identity.

All I think they need to is accept a main roster of guys that consistently show up every week and feuds carry over that people dont forget and maintain. Ratings will go up and down but even that ceiling makes them at worst the number 2 company (and they were always gonna be that)

not according to Jericho, Meltzer, Alvarez and AEW fans a year ago

"it's gonna be a massacre" :mjlol:

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
I’m not mad at AEW being a super Indy. That’s better than trying to be a major production like WWE. They wouldn’t be an alternative if they were attempting to replicate WWE..

I think it just gets muddy when their approach seems to be “competing” against WWE all whilst attempting to appeal to the IWC/Indy loyalists (bringing in unknown New Japan guys for one offs, having Indy guys appear randomly with no rhyme or reason, having a million different titles from other promotions defended on your show etc.)

Those 2 business models don’t go hand in hand in my opinion. They’re almost 2 clashing ideas.

You scoop up every big name from the other side and push contrived wars with the biggest show in town, yet you almost refuse to appeal to broader audiences in favor of appealing to a super niche pocket of fans. These dudes have identity issues, but they’re young as a company still. Chalk it up as growing pains

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Tony Khan doesn’t have a creative bone in his body, it’s been 3 years and you can’t name a single original gimmick he’s come up with from scratch for someone.

Roman is basically Nino Brown mixed with a bit of Flair and HHH. Who’s original? You made a lot of qualifiers. How many new characters has Tony gotten over in the last 3 years? And the answer to that is many.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
If there's one thing Tony needs to understand is that themes don't mean titles for your shows. He needs to realize that themes also mean the show builds towards something. The entire night should've led to the Punk/Moxley confrontation, instead it opens the show and continues in a weird spot. The ratings would stay more consistent if the audience feels like they have to follow every segment for the final setup.

I think wrestling fans have long known that the important things happen at the beginning and end of shows, I don’t think that made a big diff

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
Roman is basically Nino Brown mixed with a bit of Flair and HHH. Who’s original? You made a lot of qualifiers. How many new characters has Tony gotten over in the last 3 years? And the answer to that is many.

Over to who? The only over people in AEW are the guys who were stars in WWE :heh:

Getting pops on a show that draws a 6 figure audience every week isn't "over"

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
Don't get it twisted. Whatever "competition" exists between WWE and AEW (which I don't think there is other than competing for talent) was started by and fueled by WWE.

AEW is trying to get a higher TV rights deal. That's their only goal. WWE vs AEW is something that lives only in the head of ppl inside the wrestling bubble.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I’m not mad at AEW being a super Indy. That’s better than trying to be a major production like WWE. They wouldn’t be an alternative if they were attempting to replicate WWE..

I think it just gets muddy when their approach seems to be “competing” against WWE all whilst attempting to appeal to the IWC/Indy loyalists (bringing in unknown New Japan guys for one offs, having Indy guys appear randomly with no rhyme or reason, having a million different titles from other promotions defended on your show etc.)

Those 2 business models don’t go hand in hand in my opinion. They’re almost 2 clashing ideas.

You scoop up every big name from the other side and push contrived wars with the biggest show in town, yet you almost refuse to appeal to broader audiences in favor of appealing to a super niche pocket of fans. These dudes have identity issues, but they’re young as a company still. Chalk it up as growing pains

I always felt like it was two competing ideologies (Possibly Cody and Tony being on different pages)

Interestingly enough I think all the shyt talking and competing vs WWE was done as marketing. When Tony was on the Dan Lebatard show and he basically said Warnermedia gave him this "Marketing playbook" on how to be the number 2 company in your business and it was take the Burger King route of just cracking jokes about the leader (like they do with McDonalds) but it was always about staying number 2...which I thought was both interesting and weird.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Over to who? The only over people in AEW are the guys who were stars in WWE :heh:

See now your just being willfully ignorant to blindly justify your hatred.

Getting over is being over with your audience. Not some random dumbass on the street who doesn’t even watch wrestling.

Orange Cassidy
The Acclaimed
Wardlow
MJF
Darby Allin
Brody King
Danhausen
Dante Martin
Eddie Kingston
Hangman
Hook
Jungle Boy
Young Bucks
Kenny Omega
Penta
Rey Fenix
Powerhouse Hobbs
Ricky Starks
Rey Fenix
Britt Baker
Jade Cargill
Kris Statlander

All over with AEW viewers

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Why did your former homie want FTR to come back so bad? Why not The Revival? Every WWE guy I see WWE fans want back as the AEW character with WWE presentation like Cody. Tony gets credit for the character

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
Why did your former homie want FTR to come back so bad? Why not The Revival? Every WWE guy I see WWE fans want back as the AEW character with WWE presentation like Cody. Tony gets credit for the character

Their characters are the exact same as they were in NXT. Bland retro 80s cosplayers, except now they've added sucking Bret Hart's dikk on Twitter and copying his old spots to the act. Wow, genius characters.