COLI DEBATE: Should Flag Burners Face Some Kind Of Criminal PUNISHMENT?

Should Flag Burners Face Criminal Penalties?

• Total voters

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Listen, as many know I'm centre-left on social issues :francis: However, I consider myself a Progressive on economics :jawalrus: However, with this flag burning thing I think some type of criminal penalty should happen. Yeah, I know that it's protected as freedom of speech, but that's just too far :hubie: In my opinion, I'm all for protesting unjust laws. I continue to do it all the time. With pushing prison/criminal justice reform and ending income inequality :manny: I just always felt that flag-burning is regressive. That's just my opinion. It solves nothing and is non-productive.

What do you guys think? I differ on this issue because I had family in the military. Yeah, the U.S. has been involved in over-throwing Democratic-elected leaders and i'm AGAINST THAT. I'd rather the U.S. be isolated from war in other countries. ESPECIALLY, the middle-east. My view is, that war should be the LAST resort. However, my ancestors and other groups helped build this country off of their backs.

Tell me what you think.

Last edited:

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
According to flag code, that's the proper way to get rid of it

I can't comment on that because I haven't seen the flag code.

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - Flag Etiquette

Flag Etiquette
STANDARDS of RESPECT
The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

• The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
  • The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
  • The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
  • The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
  • The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
  • The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Burn the American Flag and Confederate Flag. They the same thing.
You may not life this, but the Confederate flag should have been a state issue. Now, I'm against it, but they way that happened ehh. However, you and I BOTH know that the confederate flag means bigotry and old Southern ways. With me, I'd rather fight and advocate for just laws. I always saw flag burning as regressive. That's just my view, but I respect yours also.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
If burning the flag is punishable then you have to get rid of all things made in the image of the flag. People can burn this paper plate and get their point across. Where does it end. If I put burgers, mac N cheese, food etc whatever on this plate then I'm desecrating the Ameircan flag too.

28181_43745.jpg

SmokyQuartz

Young Skull
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - Flag Etiquette

Flag Etiquette
STANDARDS of RESPECT
The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

• The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
  • The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
  • The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
  • The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
  • The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
  • The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.
Its funny how cacs forget the shyt they write themselves :dead:

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism

Flag Etiquette
STANDARDS of RESPECT

:leon: thanks for the link REPPED. Never heard o this one before. However, I can understand the patriotic side to this also. Like I said, I had family serve. While we have room from progress we should be happy that we aren't like Syria. Even though I don't agree with being the world police. I try to be the most objective.