Coli Tunnel Beat Tape Battle 1..(Clanarchy vs. Supa)

Who's Tape had the Better beats

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clanarchy

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@clanarchy

"Odd Couple" is a banger :whew: Honestly might've set the album off with that one, it sets the tone (and the standard) a lot quicker than the first two tracks do. Track 2 would be dope coming right after that and would segue better into track 4 than Odd Couple imo

The mix on "Checkmate" is a little off imo, the sample is too quiet. I like the drum pattern and the vibe though, definitely has a RZA type feel to it. I would extend that to the whole project, very much feels Wu-Tang inspired in a good way.

Ok "Wanted it All" is hard :leon:

"Broken Blades" :leon:

My favorite beat on here without a doubt is "Odd Couple", shyt is piff :ohlawd:

The mix on a few of the tracks could be better, when you get it all the way right thought it sounds really good. You flip that RZA style pretty well, at times it veered a little too lo-fi though imo ("Pickled Organs") which stood out because some of the other lo-fi tracks still punch through ("Broken Blades") and the crisper tracks (i.e. "Odd Couple") make the thinner sounding beats sound a little underwhelming in comparison.

That being said, you have a good range of sounds on this project. It feels a little less like an album and more like a beat tape but it's a very good beat tape o/a. :salute:

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Odd Couple - can't beat a choice soul sample, glad you liked that one.
Totally understand what you saying on the mixes, still something I've not really took the time to improve on and get to grips with. My Achilles heel right there...
I'm showing my age here but having lived the golden era, I can't help but sprinkle some Wu inspiration in the beats. That movement was literally burned into my brain and RZA without a doubt was the best producer at that time for me.

Seems like you enjoyed it overall though, so thanks for taking the time out to go through and check it all out.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We got a dope battle on our hands folks. :obama:

Good thing you had me go in blind. I might have backed out or asked for an extension if you said clanarchy. I was worried you'd throw Tek at me.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Odd Couple - can't beat a choice soul sample, glad you liked that one.
Totally understand what you saying on the mixes, still something I've not really took the time to improve on and get to grips with. My Achilles heel right there...
I'm showing my age here but having lived the golden era, I can't help but sprinkle some Wu inspiration in the beats. That movement was literally burned into my brain and RZA without a doubt was the best producer at that time for me.

Seems like you enjoyed it overall though, so thanks for taking the time out to go through and check it all out.

Odd Couple is crazy.

Definitely hear that RZA influence. That battle with Premier has me wanting to try a RZA type beat I just don't know how to pull it off. I can't get Premier down either the few times I tried.

What hardware/daw do you use and how long have you been making beats?

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Broken Blades

And

Rings of Saturn (I'm glad this wasnt omitted)

:whoo::damn:

Yall fellas went in on this

I might need until tomorrow at the earliest to drop a review/vote

I'm just vibing right now:unimpressed:

I don't even think I have enough for anything cohesive over 10 beats, that's impressive

Last edited:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Listened to both tapes a second time

"Double Oh" was another standout @Supa

O/A I feel like Supa made a more cohesive album with a consistent flow and vibe throughout; the mixing throughout was consistently good. That all being said, switch out that album art breh… it doesn't capture the vibe of the project much at all. When I hear this I distinctly picture something that touches on the mellow jazziness of the project. And to double back on a point I made earlier, the lack of energy in the middle of the project makes it a slog to get to the good shyt towards the end. some more energy at that point would've definitely made a big difference because, though you do the mellow vibe well, it does start to blend together a little too much.

@clanarchy had higher peaks on his project and, in general, it bangs a little more. "Odd Couple" is the top beat of the battle :myman: Also, I fukk with the album artwork. Some mixing issues and imo a couple of the song choice/sequencing choice hold the project back a little bit in terms of consistency.

This is almost a tie for me but I give the edge to Clanarchy. Good job both of y'all :salute:

producingfire

Music Producer
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Both are great projects, the tracks should really be shopped to artists on both. It's difficult to say which tape is better, matter of fact that isn't possible to say which is "better" I vibed with both and probably would prefer a different tape on different days of the week.
My vote is @Supa on this one.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Listened to both tapes a second time

"Double Oh" was another standout @Supa

O/A I feel like Supa made a more cohesive album with a consistent flow and vibe throughout; the mixing throughout was consistently good. That all being said, switch out that album art breh… it doesn't capture the vibe of the project much at all. When I hear this I distinctly picture something that touches on the mellow jazziness of the project. And to double back on a point I made earlier, the lack of energy in the middle of the project makes it a slog to get to the good shyt towards the end. some more energy at that point would've definitely made a big difference because, though you do the mellow vibe well, it does start to blend together a little too much.

@clanarchy had higher peaks on his project and, in general, it bangs a little more. "Odd Couple" is the top beat of the battle :myman: Also, I fukk with the album artwork. Some mixing issues and imo a couple of the song choice/sequencing choice hold the project back a little bit in terms of consistency.

This is almost a tie for me but I give the edge to Clanarchy. Good job both of y'all :salute:

I didn't upload any album art yet. I only started this last Saturday and was working on it until this morning so that wasn't something I could focus on. I'll get something though.

I made the project specifically to be mellow and jazzy. That's the vibe I was looking for.

I was having the same issue with the sequencing in the middle because I added more beats than I intended for the sake of the battle. I wanted this to be a quick listen around 25 minutes. This version came out at 40 minutes and threw things off. I have a version I've been listening to that's a lot shorter so it flows better.

Last edited:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Broken Blades

And

Rings of Saturn (I'm glad this wasnt omitted)

:whoo::damn:

Yall fellas went in on this

I might need until tomorrow at the earliest to drop a review/vote

I'm just vibing right now:unimpressed:

I don't even think I have enough for anything cohesive over 10 beats, that's impressive

I had to take the Saturn beat out the recycle bin:russ:

Glad you liked it but that's the hard part because I got beats I start and don't feel how they turn out but someone might like them.

Both are great projects, the tracks should really be shopped to artists on both. It's difficult to say which tape is better, matter of fact that isn't possible to say which is "better" I vibed with both and probably would prefer a different tape on different days of the week.
My vote is @Supa on this one.

How was the mix? I tried something a little different and basically just did the exact same thing for every beat. Only used a compressor, Izotope vinyl, and very light EQ unless the sample had a lot of noise.

I'm really not interested in shopping beats.

producingfire

Music Producer
Daps
Reppin
Miami
I had to take the Saturn beat out the recycle bin:russ:

Glad you liked it but that's the hard part because I got beats I start and don't feel how they turn out but someone might like them.

How was the mix? I tried something a little different and basically just did the exact same thing for every beat. Only used a compressor, Izotope vinyl, and very light EQ unless the sample had a lot of noise.

I'm really not interested in shopping beats.
Mixing was good, that mostly why you got the nod from me. Presentation sonically can make or break a song, and if the mixing is bad most times the tracks won't see the light of day.

clanarchy

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Supa , I spun the whole set today and you got some really good tracks in there. Really impressed.

I listed out my picks as:
Crystals
Rings Of Saturn
Bow
Shadows
Kirizumi
Mysterio
Sonia
Double Oh

Both our projects are holding down their respective lanes and makes for a tough call for voters.. it's like @producingfire said, these are basically both gonna scratch that itch, depending on your mood that day.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Supa , I spun the whole set today and you got some really good tracks in there. Really impressed.

I listed out my picks as:
Crystals
Rings Of Saturn
Bow
Shadows
Kirizumi
Mysterio
Sonia
Double Oh

Both our projects are holding down their respective lanes and makes for a tough call for voters.. it's like @producingfire said, these are basically both gonna scratch that itch, depending on your mood that day.

:salute:

I just listened to your tape and it's dope. Love the drums. We both stuck to a consistent sound. Mine was jazzy, yours was dark. Depends on what mood you're in and what your preference is.

My favorites:
Odd Couple
Ups & Downs
Oh Baby
Sting
Iridescent
Dreaming
Broken Blades

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Supa's best joints
Rings of Saturn (nice melody)
Bow
Crystals
Shadows (prolly my favorite, love the transitions on this one...very well put together)
Babysit
Double Oh (real soulful joint)
Lounge

Strengths - Very smooth relaxing sound, very cohesive, nice melodies, good samples, mix is good enough where everything works
Weaknesses - a lot of decent to average beats, but it does make the real dope ones stand out more. Tape could have been trimmed down. Some of the beats didn't mesh well with the overall vibe of the project. Some of the better sounding beats could have been longer.
Overall Impression
I really enjoyed the tape. Got some real dope joints on there. Love the cohesiveness of the project. It has a range, but still stays in its own lane. Good mixture of soul, jazz, mellow, and hiphop.

Clanarchy's best joints

Virus Intro - This one was a sleeper. Real cinematic sounding. like some horror shyt finna go down.
Odd Couple - fukking banger, real soulful. signature Clanarchy. Peak sound imo. Love the chorus transition.
Pickled Organs
Walk with Me - Another banger, soulful as fukk. Signature clanarchy again. Like this his bag right here.
Superior Darts - Vintage Wu sound. This the Iron Triangle side of Clanarchy
Ups and Downs - soulful, dope vocal sample, that chorus hit hard. you feel that shyt
Sting - Another banger. Grimy side of Clanarchy. Beat reminds me of that Cormega/Havoc joint....Angel Dust. always loved that song.

Irisdescent - Dope soulful, but gloomy banger.
Dreaming
Broken Blades

Strengths - I feel like this is a best of Clanarchy tape. Really captured all of your signature sounds, from the real soulful, grimy boom bap, Wu sound with the kung fu samples, etc.. got some real nice samples in here. Mix was good enough for everything to work imo.
Weaknesses - Although he has some real dope standouts, I don't think they hold up to some of the standouts on previous tapes. My only real critique, but only because I've heard so many of his beats throughout the years.
Overall Impression
I feel like this is a great introductory tape to Clanarchy's production if you never heard him before. You really get to see it all on here, although he got more tricks up of his sleeves, this is a good start.

Verdict
Clanarchy by competitive decision....Think 116-112 type of boxing scores. They matched up well and Supa got some real good blows in. Even found his groove early, but Clanarchy eventully overwhelmed him with the higher peaks found in his project. Felt like Supa needed a couple more tracks on the same level as Shadows to really take it to him. Definitely a good battle tho. I enjoyed listening to both tapes. Good shyt brehs.