College Financial-Aid Loophole: Wealthy Parents Transfer Guardianship of Their Teens to Get Aid

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I don’t support right wing politics but I wonder what college campuses would look like if ICE started raiding all the foreign students and professors.

Maybe engineering could become a feasible thing to major in again (competition is too high and it’s unfair that they just go back their countries after graduating, not contributing to helping over here).

Plus I am sick of math and science classes where I can’t understand the professor because he just moved from China or India 4 years ago. They make math classes so much harder because you basically lack instruction and are left to learn hard concepts on your own
I saw this first hand. Intro calculus and calculus 2 decided entire life decisions based on how garbage the teacher was.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
While true, don’t think illegals are not in college. They are.
Many of them even get in state tuition.

The absolute, absolute vast majority of the immigrant students in American universities are documented immigrants, green card holders, or recent US citizens.
Its a small, small minority that are undocumented. :unimpressed:

I went to school and was friends with an undocumented Nicaraguan woman and an undocumented Nigerian man.

2/ 1000 immigrant students at my university :mjlol:
The ones in the Audis balling out every week at the Saks nearby weren't undocumented

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Nah, the devaluation is coming from the corporations and businesses that refuse to raise wages, undercut labor power, and are trying to maintain an underclass.

People are being paid less per hour (adjusted for CoL and inflation) than assembly-line workers with a HS or less education in the 50s. Wages could still rise with the increase in US education averages.
Serious question

do you think there is a stigma around 6 figures and employers willing to cross that barrier in paying people that much?

like wages stagnated because if the psychological limit is going from 5 to 6 figures?

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Serious question

do you think there is a stigma around 6 figures and employers willing to cross that barrier in paying people that much?

like wages stagnated because if the psychological limit is going from 5 to 6 figures?
No. There is a stigma around raising wages by employers who realise they can exploit workers though.
Hence the need for collective-bargaining power.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
No. There is a stigma around raising wages by employers who realise they can exploit workers though.
Hence the need for collective-bargaining power.
I personally do and I wish there was a term for it.

imagine if we weren’t on a base 10 number system. Going from 5 to 6 figures wouldn’t be a big deal then.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
I'm aware of how bad it is, I just know that this is what neoliberals wanted :hubie:
Higher education in the US has been essentially a playground for the elite since the beginning, it went from schools that were fed directly from Day/Boarding schools, to schools that were fed directly from those same day/boarding schools + top public tech kids to fuel the Cold War (with the occasional "brilliant" AA student); to essentially an "everyone can go to college" with the best schools and highest performing students still coming from the day/boarding/technical school crowd with the added benefit of rich foreign students.

I have no power to change the higher-education system other than lobbying for more money allocated toward Black students and poor students :hubie:
Speaking on neoliberal shyt, wait until the neoliberals consolidate black studies departments into larger cultural studies departments. Our black studies department is slowly being split into the history, English and sociology departments.

I can’t wait to leave research one universities and go work at a hbcu or liberal arts or community college so I can just focus on teaching and not play these academic political games.

I worked in the DOE under the Obama administration so I got to see firsthand how messed up the system is.

Students are also pigeonholed by remedial courses. They are basically a tax (whether financial or time) that keeps students in longer, makes the experience more expensive, and lowers graduation rates. You never see Visa students in remedial courses and eventually you begin to wonder why.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Illinois Parents Reportedly Gave Up Custody Of Their Kids To Help Get College Scholarships
Nick Visser,HuffPost 18 hours ago

Wealthy Illinois parents reportedly give up custody of their kids to help get college scholarships

Dozens of wealthy families in Illinois have reportedly been using a controversial tactic to help their children pay for college: They give up legal guardianship so the teenagers can claim dramatically lower incomes and earn need-based financial aid, according to reports from two news organizations published Monday.

ProPublica and The Wall Street Journal each detailed the efforts in separate articles after uncovering dozens of applications filed by Chicago-area parents to financially divorce themselves from their kids over the past year and a half.

As part of the strategy, wealthy parents allegedly file paperwork to transfer legal custody of their kids to other relatives, friends or even co-workers. When the transfers are complete — often during their junior or senior years of high school — students are then able to declare themselves financially independent on college applications. In one instance detailed by the Journal, a student whose parents owned a $1.2 million home only had to declare $4,200 in income from a summer job.

That student was able to obtain about $47,000 in scholarships and federal Pell grants to attend a private university that costs $65,000 per year.

The practice is legal, but the Journal notes that the Education Department is looking into the matter. The agency did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment.

“It’s a scam,” Andy Borst, the director of undergraduate admissions at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, told ProPublica. “Wealthy families are manipulating the financial aid process to be eligible for financial aid they would not be otherwise eligible for. They are taking away opportunities from families that really need it.” Borst also spoke with ProPublica.

ProPublica noted that laws in Illinois governing the transfer of legal guardianship are broadly written and that as long as the parents, children and the court agree, a judge can approve the transfer even if parents are able to financially support their kids.

Almost all of the cases cited by ProPublica and the Journal echo language that says the new guardians “can provide educational and financial support and opportunities to the minor that her parents could not otherwise provide.”

It’s unclear if the tactic has been used in other states. The Education Department does not mandate students report their parents’ income on federal financial aid forms if they have been legally declared independent.

The reports come just months after the unfolding of a college admissions scandal that saw more than 50 people charged with allegedly buying their kids’ way into elite universities around the country. Celebrities including actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman were named in the investigation, and many parents were said to have paid $200,000 to $400,000 to secure their children spots at universities such as Yale and Georgetown.

Investigators called it the largest admissions scam ever prosecuted by the Justice Department, and it set off a nationwide reckoning regarding everyday access to elite colleges that have grown more competitive in recent years.

Yahoo is now part of Oath

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
I want you nikkaz to remember this the next time one of you c00ns wanna talk about nikkaz on welfare

Or when CACs talk about Affirmative Action

Or reparations

Remember, the same CACs talking about "entitlements" are buying their kids' way in to college or are scamming welfare benefits.