Come in here and tell me what it was like when NWA first hit the scene

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MrQtOoQRpc]N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton [Explicit] [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

:ahh:

The Message

Lex with tv sets the minimum
Daps
Starter jackets, stone wash jeans, gumby high top fades, and I never heard nikkas say the shyt they said on record before. lol I had to sneak and listen to the tape. It was like Eddie Murphy Raw over dope beats. lol

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Starter jackets, stone wash jeans, gumby high top fades, and I never heard nikkas say the shyt they said on record before. lol I had to sneak and listen to the tape. It was like Eddie Murphy Raw over dope beats. lol

Yeah if you were a teenager headphones only. A friend of mine got all his rap cassettes thrown out by his religious mom.
In NY they had a decent following but it really didn't match the record sales cause they were selling more records than anybody. so I guess other parts of the country really held them down.

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Beastie Boys and LL were outselling NWA by a hefty margin. Gangsta Rap stealing the spotlight from NY is half-a-myth. Half true cause the controversy was the hot topic. But half false cause the sales just did not stack up.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Beastie Boys and LL were outselling NWA by a hefty margin. Gangsta Rap stealing the spotlight from NY is half-a-myth. Half true cause the controversy was the hot topic. But half false cause the sales just did not stack up.

Yeah, NWA's first album but after that LL was getting hated on for being to arrogant with the benz and jewelry because the east coast was on the black power tip and stopped wearing hefty jewelry and started wearing African medallions until he came out with "mam said knock you out". I remember when he got booed at the state building in Harlem when there was a get together I think it was for the stop the violence movement but I'm not sure. The beastie boys didn't come out with an album that was hot like the first one as far hip hop is concerned because they changed their sound. I still liked it but not most "hip-hop" fans. NWA and the rest of the west had shyt on lock, as far as album sales for years. 1994 was the beginning of the east coming back with sales and that was with Biggie which is why hes was rated so high. You see how that album had a lot of west coast influence, it was to get sales form all over the country instead of just NYC like NAS' illmatic did. Even NAS had a "west coast" sounding songs on his second album such as the "Nas is coming" and "If I ruled the world"(which didn't sound like other east coast songs at the time).

But when NWA came out, I was in awe because I never heard so much nikka, bytches, fukk yous, suck dikk and a whole bunch of cursing on a song let a lone a whole album AND it sounded clean and funky. I knew they was going to change the game when I was talking to a white kid in my school who didn't know me and heard us talking about rap and he pulls out a NWA CD. He was the only person I met that actually had a CD because CD players were so expensive and it was NWA. That was the beginning of what we know as rap now.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Yeah, NWA's first album but after that LL was getting hated on for being to arrogant with the benz and jewelry because the east coast was on the black power tip and stopped wearing hefty jewelry and started wearing African medallions until he came out with "mam said knock you out". I remember when he got booed at the state building in Harlem when there was a get together I think it was for the stop the violence movement but I'm not sure. The beastie boys didn't come out with an album that was hot like the first one as far hip hop is concerned because they changed their sound. I still liked it but not most "hip-hop" fans. NWA and the rest of the west had shyt on lock, as far as album sales for years. 1994 was the beginning of the east coming back with sales and that was with Biggie which is why hes was rated so high. You see how that album had a lot of west coast influence, it was to get sales form all over the country instead of just NYC like NAS' illmatic did. Even NAS had a "west coast" sounding songs on his second album such as the "Nas is coming" and "If I ruled the world"(which didn't sound like other east coast songs at the time).

But when NWA came out, I was in awe because I never heard so much nikka, bytches, fukk yous, suck dikk and a whole bunch of cursing on a song let a lone a whole album AND it sounded clean and funky. I knew they was going to change the game when I was talking to a white kid in my school who didn't know me and heard us talking about rap and he pulls out a NWA CD. He was the only person I met that actually had a CD because CD players were so expensive and it was NWA. That was the beginning of what we know as rap now.
:ahh:

RIP eazy

Daps
Reppin
The Ghetto of Oz
It was like Eddie Murphy Raw over dope beats. lol

^ this .. I can remember the first time I heard NWA my neighbor was playing

"Fuk da police" I was in my kitchen with my ear pressed to the window like

:krs:

:lawd:

shyt changed the game cause Public Enemy, KRS they almost had a peace movement going until NWA just did a drive by on all of hiphop

everybody wanted that Raiders Starter jacket after that.. I was on the KC joint myself

Ice Cube pretty much ran hiphop from '91 - '94

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
i actually remember the first day hpk played nwa.

it was the first time i ever had to move the radio in secret to my room.

then record tapes in total secret, off hpk.

which soon became the ritual.

as i could not allow them to know i was listening, to the most craziest shyt ever!

plus a few years before this.

i got in a whole lot of trouble for psk,..suck my dikk from my head to my toes line by my mom's.

mom hated rap till ironically a crush on fiddy and indaclub, strangely.

did not help cause my dad was so nosey.

he pokes his head in and hears whAt became his favorite rap record.

gangsta gangsta

he even stole my nwa tape and i never knew where it was.

until, a fateful xmas road trip to b-more and driving through ohio.

when he is listening to gangsta gangsta speeding.

as, i woke up to hear him get a ticket with fukk the police playing.

as it was sequenced directly after one another.

it was a hilarious all time hof moment.

when it came to your dad getting sonned't and still being your dad.

the other was that same trip to b-more.

when he caught me listening to dolemite on bdk's awful taste of chocolate.

i still remember seeing straight out of compton the video on 20/20 aa a premier, in its entirety uncensored!

which was crazy.

as the show never showed much rap on it before.

except, for this episode.

which dealt wit nwa and the connection of the poverty and violence in la.

art barr

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
I dont even remember when their album came out, but I can tell you that nobody in NY gave a fuk about it

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yeah he is right to an extent. When their album came out no one really knew about it because most people didn't have cable and the rap attacks the came on at night on the radio didn't play "straight out of compton" like that nor did video music box. I knew about them because I used to go down south in the summer and my grandmother had cable so I could look at yo mtv raps and video vibrations on BET and see them and other west coast artist. Also, I used to look at the backs of ebony/jet and see what albums were on the chart and when I would see NWA it took my attention because it reminded me of a wrestling federation back then and it was always on the charts even though I never heard of them and back then to have rap be on the charts like that made you notice who was selling records and who was just hot in a particular area.

After a while NYC started catching on though and then they really blew up with their second album and had everyone in NYC trying to prove they were hard like cali if not harder but they didn't bite their sound, they created their own and the first to come out the gate was Tim Dog and BROOKLYN'S OWN BLACK MOON :myman:. After them NYC started coming back and setting up shop to gain some significance back. Took a few years but it eventually happened. Unfortunately the negativity came also and we have the indulgence of ignorance we have today without the good beats and unique NYC sound that we once had.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
We used to fight. Fist fight. N****s was thumpin every single day it seemed.

then NWA

The punk azz n****s started carrying pistols. We used to say guns were for punks and that word was law around my way, but once a punk azz n**** feels authorized to carry a gun - becuase NWA said it was the way to go and they were hotter that hot - no matter how much of a tough guy you are you kind of have to answer in kind. Soon after the punk azz n****s started packing, everyone started packing.

Sooooooooooo... n****s tried to murk me during an armed robbery late one night about 4 blocks from my crib and I knew than that the streets didn't love nobody so I was out. I was already in college a couple hours away so all it took was for me to sublease an apartment for the Summers and I was completely gone.

It's so sad. The time of my life was between the ages of 14-18 running them streets, forty ounce in hand. I got beat up a few times and I served a few cats and it was all fun and games. You could beef with someone on the court today and be back on the same court tomorrow like nothing happened. Now you have to fight to the death over a spilled drink or a scuffed shoe.

Miss me with "there was violence before NWA" shyt. No there wasn't. Not in my hood (of course extremem shyt happened from time to time but it was always something definite like f***ing a n****s wife of stealing $2500 from him, not getting shot at for looking at someone). I clearly recall n****s saying "F*** getting my hands scuffed up fighting. I'm like Eazy now *flashes the gat*".

@ReallyReal

504 Soulja
Daps
Reppin
7th Ward Mind Frame
when N.W.A. hit it, it was like man we made it to T.V.......

It seem like rap music finally related to average hood people and what
we really felt......and that was "Fux the Police"....."100 Miles and Runnin"