Come in here and tell me what it was like when NWA first hit the scene

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We used to fight. Fist fight. N****s was thumpin every single day it seemed.

then NWA

The punk azz n****s started carrying pistols. We used to say guns were for punks and that word was law around my way, but once a punk azz n**** feels authorized to carry a gun - becuase NWA said it was the way to go and they were hotter that hot - no matter how much of a tough guy you are you kind of have to answer in kind. Soon after the punk azz n****s started packing, everyone started packing.

Sooooooooooo... n****s tried to murk me during an armed robbery late one night about 4 blocks from my crib and I knew than that the streets didn't love nobody so I was out. I was already in college a couple hours away so all it took was for me to sublease an apartment for the Summers and I was completely gone.

It's so sad. The time of my life was between the ages of 14-18 running them streets, forty ounce in hand. I got beat up a few times and I served a few cats and it was all fun and games. You could beef with someone on the court today and be back on the same court tomorrow like nothing happened. Now you have to fight to the death over a spilled drink or a scuffed shoe.

Miss me with "there was violence before NWA" shyt. No there wasn't. Not in my hood (of course extremem shyt happened from time to time but it was always something definite like f***ing a n****s wife of stealing $2500 from him, not getting shot at for looking at someone). I clearly recall n****s saying "F*** getting my hands scuffed up fighting. I'm like Eazy now *flashes the gat*".

Damn, you are speaking the truth.

What people fail to realize is that a lot of murders back then were drug related by either users or sellers, not everyday people who just don't get along. Now a person who ain't shyt can get his gun flash it and say he a tough guy but can't fight a lick. He doesn't realize he is either prey for the get back which is why a lot of killings are happening like in philly(revenge shootings) or the boys in blue need a quota and some good looks on their record and the private prison system NEEDS people to get locked up so they can keep their investors and this young motherfukker listening to chief keef will be a legal slave in 2012. The system is fukked up but we help the system shyt on us by indoctrinating the minds of people to encourage them to do dumbshyt that is illegal and will fukk up their life by either becoming an addict, even though I don't hear no rapper admitting they are but do hard drugs all day, and putting yourself in the way of the legal system or just a fukked up life or a killer and living a life of having nightmares at night or sleeping next to bubba for a few years. Or someone who wants the bugatti and true religion jeans but no way of getting that kind of money to sustain that lifestyle because you have no skills and you will end up broke paying for your child support from that big booty bytch who was wearing prada when you met her at the club popping bottles in the vip off of your reup money.

A Good dream that turned into a nightmare based on living a half truth that you saw and was pumped up by what you heard to some melodic music which puts you into a trance and effects your decision making.

GodMC

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was in like Kindergarden when NWA came out so I dont really know. But I always looked at them like a wave like G Unit.

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The system is fukked up but we help the system shyt on us by indoctrinating the minds of people to encourage them to do dumbshyt that is illegal

Science

i mean....just look at this damn site. Its some posters here who are doing their job by promoting certain artists (which is why I shyt on that Charmander chump constantly). It aint a coincidence that a couple dudes on here dikkride every wack nikka dealing drugs n killin nikkas on wax/in audio, and know about these artists way ahead of the public.

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
then NWA
The punk azz n****s started carrying pistols. We used to say guns were for punks and that word was law around my way, but once a punk azz n**** feels authorized to carry a gun - becuase NWA said it was the way to go and they were hotter that hot - no matter how much of a tough guy you are you kind of have to answer in kind. Soon after the punk azz n****s started packing, everyone started packing.
Sooooooooooo... n****s tried to murk me during an armed robbery late one night about 4 blocks from my crib and I knew than that the streets didn't love nobody so I was out. I was already in college a couple hours away so all it took was for me to sublease an apartment for the Summers and I was completely gone.
It's so sad. The time of my life was between the ages of 14-18 running them streets, forty ounce in hand. I got beat up a few times and I served a few cats and it was all fun and games. You could beef with someone on the court today and be back on the same court tomorrow like nothing happened. Now you have to fight to the death over a spilled drink or a scuffed shoe.
Miss me with "there was violence before NWA" shyt. No there wasn't. Not in my hood (of course extremem shyt happened from time to time but it was always something definite like f***ing a n****s wife of stealing $2500 from him, not getting shot at for looking at someone). I clearly recall n****s saying "F*** getting my hands scuffed up fighting. I'm like Eazy now *flashes the gat*".

thats probably the case with the majority of cities around the country..except Chicago

nikkas was buck before that N.W.A shyt, but the violence did increase around that time thou, over drugs mainly..and since we already had a gang scene, the drugs just increased the violence (taking over other hoods and things like that)...but i never thought rap had anything to do with it..

and nikkas need to kill that conspiracy talk too thou..people like action packed, over the top movies with crazy shoot outs, just like some people like crazy,over the top ignorant shyt in their hiphop..same shyt

hiphop wasn't the reason why i went to prison, just like everybody else i know who went..nikkas was just in the streets hustlin ,gangbanging, and robbin nikkas, while rap was our entertainment and shyt we'll have discussions on..mof, while i was in prison, i was pretty much that rappin ass nikka that everybody was cool with just off that fact alone..:smugdraper:..me and this one nikka who sounded like dmx battled each other in the day room, and THE WHOLE DECK was out there watchin us..i felt like a gotdamn supastar..i lost, but it was still a cool lil moment in my otherwise fukked up life(at the time) lol

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

then NWA

Nah, bruh...

CRACK.

Not that you didn't have your person here and there who wanted to be like their favorite rappers or hood movie characters... but CRACK and the conflicts over it brought the levels of violence up waaaay more than N.W.A. (or any rapper) did. And even if somebody wasn't sellin' drugs... if they see people gettin' blown away over the smallest shyt, they knew they had to be ready to compete, which then leads to more guns and more dumbass violence.

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, bruh...

CRACK.

Not that you didn't have your person here and there who wanted to be like their favorite rappers or hood movie characters... but CRACK and the conflicts over it brought the levels of violence up waaaay more than N.W.A. (or any rapper) did. And even if somebody wasn't sellin' drugs... if they see people gettin' blown away over the smallest shyt, they knew they had to be ready to compete, which then leads to more guns and more dumbass violence.

crack started the whole gettin killed over gear phenomenon too. the hustlers set the standard for style and if u couldnt afford it you were going out n taking it, n i dont just mean boosting.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thats probably the case with the majority of cities around the country..except Chicago

nikkas was buck before that N.W.A shyt, but the violence did increase around that time thou, over drugs mainly..and since we already had a gang scene, the drugs just increased the violence (taking over other hoods and things like that)...but i never thought rap had anything to do with it..

and nikkas need to kill that conspiracy talk too thou..people like action packed, over the top movies with crazy shoot outs, just like some people like crazy,over the top ignorant shyt in their hiphop..same shyt

hiphop wasn't the reason why i went to prison, just like everybody else i know who went..nikkas was just in the streets hustlin ,gangbanging, and robbin nikkas, while rap was our entertainment and shyt we'll have discussions on..mof, while i was in prison, i was pretty much that rappin ass nikka that everybody was cool with just off that fact alone..:smugdraper:..me and this one nikka who sounded like dmx battled each other in the day room, and THE WHOLE DECK was out there watchin us..i felt like a gotdamn supastar..i lost, but it was still a cool lil moment in my otherwise fukked up life(at the time) lol

So you telling me rap didn't amp you up to do the crimes?.:mjpls:

Ghost utmost and I are not saying it's raps fault for crime but the enhancement of it. Meaning maybe you was going to go to prison anyway but what about the kid who looked at you AND popped in that NWA tape and heard nothing about repercussions from what they're doing without glamorizing it like prison and decided he had to be a certified g?.

You know as well as I do that when you got amped to do a crime you put something into your system and listen to some shyt to get you amped and if you didn't someone around you did unless you just did non-violent crimes. I doubt you was listening to isley brothers drinking water getting ready to hit a lick unless you were dirt poor and needed a come up or a straight sociopath which a lot of aggressive criminals are. I know it when I see it which is why 50 cent is the only rapper I can think of that I believe he will do what he says and not have anger when doing it, just a payback or a come up because he has the tendencies of a sociopath. Now he seems like he calmed down on it a little but it's still there. I see some of me in him but let me chill because I'm not crazy just think different than most.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, bruh...

CRACK.

When NWA came out crack wasn't new. It was popping before them. I see what he's saying because you can see the end results now. Crack ain't what it was yet MORE young kids are carrying guns now then back then and busting shots, not necessarily killing people and it's not over drugs like it used to be. They do usually know each other though.

Back then everyone didn't have a gun like they were on some cowboy shyt UNLESS you were about that life and it showed because they didn't go to school, smoked out on something and on the block all day either doing nothing and getting into shyt or hustling. Now that image isn't the norm for someone who can end up shooting you. You fight a nikka he will try to come back and shoot you on some bytch shyt to prove he's a "G" instead taking a loss and keeping it moving and I agree with ghost I think rap helped contribute to it and I'm a Hip Hop baby but I call it like I see it because the truth is the only way you make change.

People you can't listen to Kill, murder, get high, fukk bytches, haters everywhere all day everyday and your friends do it to and think it won't effect your way of thinking. The drum beat and melodies are very powerful to the brain and this is scientific. If you hear something all day you are training your brain to think a certain way based on the repetitiveness and how the brain reacts to it and it changes they way it reacts to things.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2010/12/21/music-fires-up-emotions-in-the-brain/22034.html
Music Fires Up Emotions in the Brain
"The results from this study have confirmed the hypothesis that the human touch of an expressive performance by a skilled pianist evokes emotion and reward-related neural activity. Furthermore, musically experienced listeners were found to have increased activity in the emotion and reward centers of the brain."

What that study shows in simple terms is that when you hear a song you like it will evoke an emotion and bring up memories and if these memories are shooting, fighting, and doing crazy shyt, once you listen to the song it will be like reliving it to your brain which means the connection will get strong which means it would be easier for you to do those actions next time with no form of thinking at it another way to see if what your doing is wrong. Add to the fact other people around you are actually doing the crimes and living this way and listening to the same songs and you can see how shyt got worse much faster than it used to be but that is if you want to accept these truths. People act like crack was the first drug there was. Add a certain vibe to that crack and you get a fukked up environment, it doesn't have to be just killings. A lot of people lifestyles are just fukked up now and the music helps you think it is normal when it is only like this for your group not everyone else.

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
So you telling me rap didn't amp you up to do the crimes?.:mjpls:

Ghost utmost and I are not saying it's raps fault for crime but the enhancement of it. Meaning maybe you was going to go to prison anyway but what about the kid who looked at you AND popped in that NWA tape and heard nothing about repercussions from what they're doing without glamorizing it like prison and decided he had to be a certified g?.

You know as well as I do that when you got amped to do a crime you put something into your system and listen to some shyt to get you amped and if you didn't someone around you did unless you just did non-violent crimes. I doubt you was listening to isley brothers drinking water getting ready to hit a lick unless you were dirt poor and needed a come up or a straight sociopath which a lot of aggressive criminals are. I know it when I see it which is why 50 cent is the only rapper I can think of that I believe he will do what he says and not have anger when doing it, just a payback or a come up because he has the tendencies of a sociopath. Now he seems like he calmed down on it a little but it's still there. I see some of me in him but let me chill because I'm not crazy just think different than most.

NEVER..nikkas ain't out commiting crimes like they're about to play a game of football breh

a lot of violent crimes i committed was spur of the moment..no thinking, just reacting..and in my early teen's, some of that shyt was just for fun..but my main thing was hustling..almost all of my closest friends was already serving fiends fresh out of 8th grade..and when moms & pops wouldn't get me the things i wanted, i started hustling too (at 15)..my influence was 100% my surroundings, never did rap dictate anything besides the latest fashion and maybe some new slang words

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
NEVER..nikkas ain't out commiting crimes like they're about to play a game of football breh

a lot of violent crimes i committed was spur of the moment..no thinking, just reacting..and in my early teen's, some of that shyt was just for fun..but my main thing was hustling..almost all of my closest friends was already serving fiends fresh out of 8th grade..and when moms & pops wouldn't get me the things i wanted, i started hustling too (at 15)..my influence was 100% my surroundings, never did rap dictate anything besides the latest fashion and maybe some new slang words

Well you proved my point. You was doing non-violent crimes. Selling drugs isn't really some gangsta shyt to me unless you backing it up with some other shyt, you know what I mean. I'm talking about being aggressive. Anybody can get some pieces and hustle of course you don't need music to amp you up for that, even though it still plays a role such as "diamond in the back, sunroof top, digging in the scene with GANGSTA LEAN,". People forget before rap there were the black exploitaiton films that played a big part in the shyt we had to see also before rap. The black community and America in general wasn't on some bucking shyt like it was when the '70's hit. The vietnam war, drugs, and the black exploitaion films changed our view of the world. Talk to an older person and they would tell you pimps and drug dealers were not the norm but when those movies came out everyone wanted to try pimping and dealing out. shyt cocaine was a rich mans drug and if you did it you were the man like the cats in the movies.

Ask a dealer from the 80's if scarface didn't amp people up to be the next kingpin and listen to the answer you get.

The difference is rap made it available for you to get these message 24/7 which meant more people will be influenced by it. Look how the the prison population grew in the era we are talking about even though violent crimes went down. It's because even though a lot of people who got caught up in the crimes in the 80's they were usually people of the streetlife for real not just something to say to be cool so they lived a wild life. During the mid 90's all those people got locked up BUT the new generation was wild but not really living the streetlife to the fullest, they just sold drugs here and there and bust some shots but these are still crimes so hence the rise and arrest rates while murder has gone down. I contend the reason for this was the music influenced them ALONG with the things they seen because they really weren't sociopaths which is why they weren't committing murders like the people before them but being that technology allowed us to have access to hear and see kill, shoot, stab, fukk, bytches, get high, fukk that nikka, I'm the shyt,etc., all day it allowed you to be desensitized to crimes and a distorted view of life. Maybe you never shot anybody, cut somebody or something like that but ask someone who has and they will tell, unless they are sociopaths, their friends influenced them and the music influenced them and the more they listened to it the easier it became to do it again because it amps you up especially when you high and everyone is thinking the same way.

In other words in the 70's and 80's them street nikkas was crazy for real, I remember, the 80's particularly and seeing what my uncle went through and how he is to this day. shyt I even had fights with him but that nikka is crazy for real not on some "I'm crazy nikka" to be cool shyt. The streetlife really fukked his head up and I have some issues so we bump heads a lot. When he hears some rap shyt the FIRST thing he does is start talking about his past street life, especially when he's with people who was around him at the time and then we go at it because he gets disrespectful on some tough guy shyt which is why he got shot up and stabbed(I didn't do it), I still love him though. In the mid 90's to now the "street nikkas" just pump some crack and weed and carried some guns and maybe shot someone and that's why they got locked up but because there is more of them then the sociopaths, they raise the prison rate NOT because they're more wild.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Well from an East Coast perspective (well out in Jerz anyway) these dudes were like a breath of fresh air. When NWA in the House came out on tape, I was really different than most of the hip-hop out there and it was not often you heard things from different regions than your area. My cousin came in from LA came down by me and put me on them. I became a big fan of the crew especially Ice Cube and Mc Ren. That next year, Straight Outta Compton was an instant cop for me, as well as the Eazy-E joint.

It was good to hear because 84-88 was like the height of the crack era. Crime was skyrocketing and it was tough for me because I had to look out for my younger siblings while my mom was doing her late shifts and that music was such a release for me, good times. I would not always feel this way about NWA but in that period they were one of my favorite groups.

They were a niche group though in the east coast. They didn't really blow up over here until after SOC got big and around the time 100 Miles and Runnin dropped.

Xtraz2

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles, CA
nikkaz in tha 70s and 80s wuz doin drive bys with al green or heat wave in tha 8 track

I think gangsta rap did heighten tha influence where even non criminal types wanted to be down who otherwise would of never went down that path

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I LOVE Straight Outta Compton. Some of my favorite Hip Hop is the most ignorant shyt ever. I cosign that Rap is in the same vein as GTA or Rambo and can be essentially bening. I just can't sit by and make excuses for the drawbacks.

Most people seem to be able to consume Gangsta Rap without wilding out. It's kinda like the rash of school shootings after Columbine. The media had the nerve to act all incredulous like "how odd..." but it was the news coverage which sparked the copycats. Should we not cover such stories? Can we tiptoe around all the psychos by censoring everything? I don't think so, I think we should speak freely and make as many action movies as we can stand, but let's keep it a buck about the "second hand smoke" emitted.

It's not totally harmless. For ghetto blacks Hip Hop seems especially influential. Think an alcoholic at dinner with coworkers: 9 of the 10 have a drink or two and call it a night. The one person has 10 drinks, shuts down the bar, and misses work the next day. The black community is the "lush" (especially sensitive to the influence), do we keep feeding it "booze" (negative images of itself)?

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
Well you proved my point. You was doing non-violent crimes. Selling drugs isn't really some gangsta shyt to me unless you backing it up with some other shyt, you know what I mean. I'm talking about being aggressive. Anybody can get some pieces and hustle of course you don't need music to amp you up for that, even though it still plays a role such as "diamond in the back, sunroof top, digging in the scene with GANGSTA LEAN,". People forget before rap their were the black exploitaiton films that played a big part in the shyt we had to see also before rap. The black community and America in general wasn't on some bucking shyt like it was when the '70's hit. The vietnam war, drugs, and the black exploitaion films changed our view of the world. Talk to an older person and they would tell you pimps and drug dealers were not the norm but when those movies came out everyone wanted to try pimping and dealing out. shyt cocaine was a rich mans drug and if you did it you were the man like the cats in the movies.

Ask a dealer from the 80's if scarface didn't amp people up to be the next kingpin and listen to the answer you get.

The difference is rap made it available for you to get these message 24/7 which meant more people will be influenced by it. Look how the the prison population grew in the era we are talking about even though violent crimes went down. It's because even though a lot of people who got caught up in the crimes in the 80's they were usually people of the streetlife for real not just something to say to be cool so they lived a wild life. During the mid 90's all those people got locked up BUT the new generation was wild but not really living the streetlife to the fullest, they just sold drugs here and there and bust some shots but these are still crimes so hence the rise and arrest rates while murder has gone down. I contend the reason for this was the music influenced them ALONG with the things they seen because they really weren't sociopaths which is why they weren't committing murders like the people before them but being that technology allowed us to have access to hear and see kill, shoot, stab, fukk, bytches, get high, fukk that nikka, I'm the shyt,etc., all day it allowed you to be desensitized to hard crimes. Maybe you never shot anybody, cut somebody or something like that but ask someone who has and they will tell, unless they are sociopaths, their friends influenced them and the music influenced them and the more they listened to it the easier it became to do it again because it amps you up especially when you high and everyone is thinking the same way.

In other words in the 70's and 80's them street nikkas was crazy fro real, I remember, the 80's particularly and seeing what my uncle went through and how he is to this day. shyt I even had fights with him but that nikka is crazy for real not on some "I'm crazy nikka" to be cool shyt. When he hears some rap shyt the first thing he does is start talking about his past street life and then we go at it because he gets disrespectful on some tough guy shyt which is why he got shot up and stabbed, I still love him though. In the mid 90's to now the "street nikkas" just pump some crack and weed and carried some guns and maybe shot someone and that's why they got locked up but because their is more of them then the sociopaths, they raise the prison rate NOT because they're more wild.

if you out there hustling, 9 times out of 10 you will get involved in some type of violent shyt..its damn near mandatory..on top of that, during the 90's,you couldn't be a neutron and just post up on a block, you HAD to be in a gang/gang related..and never did we use music as a means to get amped to do anything..and if anybody ever said that music helped them commit a crime is str8 up lame..your neighborhood and the people that live in it is more of an influence then any song you can listen to..

and here in chicago, the gang mentality been present since the 1920's(seriously)..and the most murders we eva had was back in 1974..rap wasn't around but nikkas was still gangbanging to the max...and during the 90's, the gang influence was actually stronger then ever becuz of the money crack generated..but idk about every where else so i can't speak on everybody in general thou, maybe rap did influence the people in your area :manny: