Common & Kanye West Want To Create 15,000 Jobs For Chicago Youth Over The Next 5 Years

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
commonye.jpg

Common and Kanye West have joined forces to give back to the city thatraised them by providing 15,000 jobs for the young people of Chicago over the next 5 years.

“Obviously, one of the biggest reasons our kids are going through what they’re going through is because of poverty. I was doing an event in the neighborhood and there were some kids from Englewood and I said, ‘Man, what do y’all really need? What’s gonna stop this?’ And they were like, ‘we need money. Man, if we could work.’ They want a chance,” Common said.

During a press conference Wednesday (April 9) at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Common announced his Common Ground Foundation would be collaborating with Kanye West’s charity organization, Donda’s House Inc. and the Chicago Urban League in an initiative to supply employment opportunities to the community, known as The Chicago Youth Jobs Collaborative.

“Today we issue a call to action to the public, private and non-profit sectors to join this effort to make year round investments in our youth. Summer jobs provide tremendous opportunities, but we often hear strong pleas from young people for year round jobs,” said Andrea L. Zopp, President and CEO of the Chicago Urban League. “In addition to providing financial resources and a strong work ethic, jobs keep youth out of harm’s way. Year round job opportunities and support services will significantly improve the well-being of our youth and strengthen our city. We owe it to our young people to make this investment in them.”

Common’s and Kanye’s organizations were recently featured in a Stones Throw Record Documentary, are also stressing the importance of music with an upcoming music festival known as AAHH FEST!. The festival will take place September 20-21 at Hyde Park.

The festival will be held annually in order to help fund jobs and other programs in the area. The weekend of music has no official line up as of yet, but will focus on local Chicago talent.

Common & Kanye West Want To Create 15,000 Jobs For Chicago Youth Over The Next 5 Years | Clutch Magazine

pawdalaw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Fayetteville
great to see them do this, but i'm skeptical. i think you could offer 150,000 jobs, and the same shyt would still be happening. but i wish them all the best and i certainly hope it succeeds.

• At-risk youth who participated in the 2012 One Summer Plus program experienced a 51 percent drop in arrests for violent crime, according to a new study released from the University of Chicago Crime Lab. City officials are building upon that success by studying the impact of One Summer Plus on participants in 2013 and establishing the model for future youth programs.
  • More than 700 youth ages 14-21 were selected to participate in One Summer Plus in 2012 from an open application process available at 13 Chicago public schools located in high-violence and low-income neighborhoods. Applicants faced a number of challenges; the year before they entered the program, they had missed an average of six weeks of school and about 20 percent had been arrested.

Crime Lab study finds youth employment program has impact on violent crime arrests | UChicago News

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
My skepticism comes from what type of jobs and will they have access to learn high skills. The pay ultimately alleviates people out of poverty. I am in poverty myself so I know firsthand.

RAX 010

Cold Blooded
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
EAST✈WEST
If this works then they would have created a model for any impoverished area
:salute:
Common Ground X Donda House