Common & Kanye West Want To Create 15,000 Jobs For Chicago Youth Over The Next 5 Years

Marciano

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think franchising could help with employment for a lot of youth. Influential Blacks like Junior Bridgeman & Valerie Daniels-Carter own hundreds of restaurants & employ thousands of people off the strength of franchising.

Hell, one could say Rick Ross is a job creator because he owns at least a dozen Wing Stops.

h2o_proof

Thread Closed...As Usual
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Salute to Common and Kanye, but not necessarily sure if this will help things. These lil nikkas don't need money, they need something to live for. Volunteerism would be a greater solution, something grassroots that they can connect to. While I understand it's far-fetched to try to get some of these kids involved in programs that don't pay, the enrichment gained from it in the long term would far exceed what a minimum wage check every Friday is gonna do.

If its just about creating jobs, why not go all the way with it and create businesses? If not you're continuing the cycle because they won't learn financial independence. Hell it might sound harsh, but open a Remington plant and let these nikkas manufacture their own guns, give them employee stock. Let these nikkas build their own caskets or something. I'm speaking with a bit of hyperbole here but my point is that capitalism and harsh reality have to intersect in a way that's tangible in order for these nikkas to get the message.

I know it's some good dudes out there that are striving for a better life, and maybe the Common/Kanye program will be beneficial to them, but I see nikka's from the 100's throwing around stacks of money on Youtube all day, and the common theme is the fact that they ain't got nothing to live for.

I know some of ya'll are gonna roast me for this, but I'm really passionate about at-risk youth and I work with a lot of non-profit organizations in my area and what I see on a consistent basis from these kids is that they don't understand economics, sociology and politics, which are the 3 areas they are continually falling victim to.

NV-ME

Make It Hot-ta
Daps
Reppin
FiyaStarter
hope this comes off. great initiative. I have my share of criticism (fair!) for kanye, but the dude genuinely seems to care about people in general, which sounds simple enough, but a lot of people aren't true to.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think franchising could help with employment for a lot of youth. Influential Blacks like Junior Bridgeman & Valerie Daniels-Carter own hundreds of restaurants & employ thousands of people off the strength of franchising.

Hell, one could say Rick Ross is a job creator because he owns at least a dozen Wing Stops.

:obama:

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
I don't fukk wit neither one of these dudes,but I gotta respect this..

Those summer jobs was the shyt for me personally back in the 90's,I was still doing dumb shyt thou but it definitely did help keep me out of more trouble..for the summer at least :demonic:

..And back around 08/09, I was taking my 2 older nephews up to the summer job programs so they could work,and they went too,but the city ended the programs during the middle of that summer & pretty much ended it completely on after...and since then, both of my nephews got shot up during these past few summers (one got shot 4 times and is currently locked up for robbery, and the other got shot 7 times total and is facing 3 years for 2 gun possessions)

Now I'm not saying they went thru all of that because it wasn't no jobs,but I do know that they are willing to work,and if the jobs was still around maybe it could've help prevent some of the situations they going thru

Last edited:

RAX 010

Cold Blooded
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
EAST✈WEST
tumblr_n46zmnplZ61ram4lgo1_500.jpg

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Salute to Common and Kanye, but not necessarily sure if this will help things. These lil nikkas don't need money, they need something to live for. Volunteerism would be a greater solution, something grassroots that they can connect to. While I understand it's far-fetched to try to get some of these kids involved in programs that don't pay, the enrichment gained from it in the long term would far exceed what a minimum wage check every Friday is gonna do.

If its just about creating jobs, why not go all the way with it and create businesses? If not you're continuing the cycle because they won't learn financial independence. Hell it might sound harsh, but open a Remington plant and let these nikkas manufacture their own guns, give them employee stock. Let these nikkas build their own caskets or something. I'm speaking with a bit of hyperbole here but my point is that capitalism and harsh reality have to intersect in a way that's tangible in order for these nikkas to get the message.

I know it's some good dudes out there that are striving for a better life, and maybe the Common/Kanye program will be beneficial to them, but I see nikka's from the 100's throwing around stacks of money on Youtube all day, and the common theme is the fact that they ain't got nothing to live for.

I know some of ya'll are gonna roast me for this, but I'm really passionate about at-risk youth and I work with a lot of non-profit organizations in my area and what I see on a consistent basis from these kids is that they don't understand economics, sociology and politics, which are the 3 areas they are continually falling victim to.

You might have a point when it comes to nikkas that's already out there in that life already. But you gotta think about those who haven't stepped out there like that,a job and staying busy can keep them from going down that road like you said. This is more for nikkas "at risk" vs nikkas already taking risk and who are already risk to other people:pachaha:...but I think it can save a lot of them too...saving nikkas whos in gangs/gang affiliated or in the drug trade is probably bigger than what these jobs can cure....but I think they cracked down on the drug shyt that was goin on in Chicago and the violence eased up some didn't it? We cant pretend a jail stay or near death experience aint the only thing that will save some nikkas past a certain point....but this is great for grabbing up youth before it gets to that point :salute: Common and Kanye.

bewitched

Pro
Daps
this is great to hear! hopefully they'll establish a strategy and model that can be replicated if there's success in Chicago. i wish other rappers are willing to invest in their communities and create a positive impact like Ye and Common.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Rappers KANYE WEST and COMMON have joined forces on a new initiative to provide over 20,000 jobs for young people in their native Chicago, Illinois. The pair is using their star power to help the less fortunate using their youth-focused non-profit organizations based in the Windy City. Through West's charity Donda's House Inc. and Common's Common Ground Foundation, they have created a new employment drive with the Chicago Urban League, which focuses on building strong African American communities. Common has revealed that a recent study showed a huge percentage of young people in Chicago are unemployed, and he hopes this new campaign will steer kids on a path to a successful career, rather than a life of crime on the streets. He explains, "Obviously, one of the biggest reasons our kids are going through what they're going through is because of poverty. I was doing an event in the neighborhood and there were some kids... and I said, 'Man, what do y'all really need? What's gonna stop this (poverty)?' And they were like, 'We need money. Man, if we could work.' They want a chance." In addition to helping teens find jobs, the rappers will also curate a music festival that will serve as an annual fundraiser for the initiative. The first event will be held 20-21 September (14).
Read more at Kanye West and Common team up to create 20,000 jobs in Chicago

:duck: