COVID-19 Pandemic (Coronavirus)

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
'No Excuse for This': House Dems Unveil 1,815-Page Bill That Would Bail Out Corporate Lobbyists But Omits Key People-First Priorities

"Democratic leadership has had plenty of input from progressive thinkers over the past couple of months. They just care more about the input from corporate lobbyists."

pelosi_coronavirus_0.jpg

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) speaks during her weekly news conference at the U.S. Capitol April 30, 2020 in Washington, D.C. (Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

House Democrats on Tuesday unveiled a sprawling 1,815-page, $3 trillion coronavirus relief package that spurns many of the key demands of progressive activists and lawmakers while including proposals that immediately provoked backlash, such as a tax cut for the wealthy and a provision that would allow corporate lobbying organizations to take part in federal small business loan program.

Formally titled the Health and Economic Recovery Omnibus Emergency Solutions (HEROES) Act, the bill (pdf) would provide $1 trillion in additional funding for state and local governments, extend beefed-up unemployment benefits through January of next year, authorize an additional round of one-time $1,200 stimulus payments for adults earning up to $75,000 per year, expand federal nutrition benefits, provide $25 billion for the U.S. Postal Service, establish a hazard pay fund for frontline workers, and increase spending on Covid-19 testing.

"It is too small even if it passed as is. As a starting point for negotiation it is going to be a disaster."

—Jon Walker, freelance journalist

While there is much in the bill that progressives support, observers who combed through the nearly 2,000 pages of legislative text were quick to highlight sections and omissions that they deemed unacceptable.

The bill, which the House is expected to vote on as early as Friday, does not contain recurring direct cash payments, a paycheck guarantee, cancellation of rent and mortgage payments, or expansion of Medicare to cover the rapidly growing number of unemployed and uninsured Americans.

The legislation does, however, propose an expansion of Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) eligibility to include corporate lobbying organizations—which aggressively pushed for the change—and a bailout for landlords.

"Democratic leadership has had plenty of input from progressive thinkers over the past couple of months. They just care more about the input from corporate lobbyists," tweeted HuffPost senior reporter Zach Carter. "There is just no excuse for this."

Instead of expanding Medicare as progressives recommended, the HEROES Act "funds approximately nine months of full premium subsidies for the existing health insurance program COBRA, which allows laid-off or furloughed employees to stay on their health insurance plans," Vox's Ella Nilsen and Li Zhou reported.

Progressives have vocally criticized the COBRA proposal as a mere subsidy to the private insurance industry that would not be nearly as beneficial or cost-effective as the emergency Medicare expansion proposed by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.).

Jayapal, co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, pushed hard for the inclusion of her Paycheck Guarantee Act but was rebuffed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who has wielded near-unilateral authority over the negotiating process as lawmakers remain in their home districts due to Covid-19 fears.

As an alternative to Jayapal's ambitious paycheck guarantee proposal, which would have provided companies with direct payroll grants to keep workers employed, the newly unveiled legislation proposes an expansion of the Employee Retention Tax Credit.

Even as the legislation fails to meet demands that progressives characterized as basic steps toward ensuring economic security and public health, the House Democratic leadership has signaled that they're willing to negotiate down even further as talks over the stimulus package continue.

"Democrats acknowledge that their behemoth proposal, whose summary alone is 90 pages, is more of a talking point than legislation that they expect to become law," Politico reported.

Freelance journalist Jon Walker called the HEROES Act "deeply depressing," particularly as an opening bid in negotiations with the Republican-controlled Senate and the Trump White House.

"It is too small even if it passed as is," Walker tweeted. "As a starting point for negotiation it is going to be a disaster."

Though critics described the legislation as inadequate as a whole, progressive advocacy groups applauded a number of individual provisions in the bill.

Wenonah Hauter, executive director of Food & Water Action, celebrated the inclusion of a nationwide moratorium on water shut-offs amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"Grassroots efforts across the country have finally paid off today as our congressional leaders move to protect the human right to water," Hauter said in a statement.

Stand Up America, meanwhile, praised the bill's proposal of an additional $3.6 billion in election assistance funding to help states expand vote-by-mail capacity.

"We applaud House Democrats for fighting to protect our democracy and working to provide states the critical resources they need to expand mail-in voting and make in-person voting safer," said Stand Up America founder and president Sean Eldridge. "This bill would help ensure that voters won't be forced to risk their health to cast their ballot amid this pandemic."

Link:

'No Excuse for This': House Dems Unveil 1,815-Page Bill That Would Bail Out Corporate Lobbyists But Omits Key People-First Priorities

Kokoro

Passion
Supporter
Daps
2nd minor with COVID-related inflammatory syndrome identified in Ky.

The syndrome, according to Stack, is an inflammatory process that can produce cardiovascular collapse, respiratory collapse and other “life-threatening” problems in young people.

It appears to be a delayed, post-recovery product of the virus, as those affected test positive for coronavirus antibodies but not nasal-swabs tests for COVID-19 itself, Beshear explained.

Very concerning news and something to watch for, especially since it’s been seen commonly in people under 18, thus far. I don’t understand how some can be so brazen and haughty to say that it’s not a big deal and defiantly disrespect common sense rules meant to help you, especially when there’s much we don’t know about SARS19

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
Here is the thing those states don't tell the whole story. Perfect example one of my homeboys lives in NY. Him mom (64) has a crib and his two sisters (in their late 20s and early 30s) live with her. The two sisters were in and out going out the house everyday and kicking in the streets (no social distancing and no masks).

His mom never took the rona serious. Until her neighbor died from the disease. Come to find out the neighbors kids caught it and gave it to her. The neighbors kids were in and out the house hanging in the streets too.

A few days later my homeboys mom gives her daughters an ultimatum to either stay in the house our get out cause she is afriad they might bring her the virus. What do they do? They keep on hanging in the streets so the mom throws them out.

I would bet a lot of them folks who caught the disease at home got kids and relatives coming in and out of their house or home.
This is exactly what is going on. We have a light lockdown. Nothing real consequential.

If folks go to the store even during stay at home orders while the rate of infection might not be as high without them, people are still going to bring that shyt from the store or anywhere else.

The only 100% safe way to be safe is to never leave the house and that is never happening.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps

The syndrome, according to Stack, is an inflammatory process that can produce cardiovascular collapse, respiratory collapse and other “life-threatening” problems in young people.

It appears to be a delayed, post-recovery product of the virus, as those affected test positive for coronavirus antibodies but not nasal-swabs tests for COVID-19 itself, Beshear explained.

Very concerning news and something to watch for, especially since it’s been seen commonly in people under 18, thus far. I don’t understand how some can be so brazen and haughty to say that it’s not a big deal and defiantly disrespect common sense rules meant to help you, especially when there’s much we don’t know about SARS19
I knew or know there’s something about this virus they’re not telling us
The fact that staying inside was the immediate reaction should have told people something is up
these new cases could be what they foresaw
The scary part is this probably isn’t the endgame with this virus

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is exactly what is going on. We have a light lockdown. Nothing real consequential.

If folks go to the store even during stay at home orders while the rate of infection might not be as high without them, people are still going to bring that shyt from the store or anywhere else.

The only 100% safe way to be safe is to never leave the house and that is never happening.

add in some people still won’t be overly cautious in washing their hands. You can prevent it by just being vigilante in that after you come back from a store.

Ironically a lot of stubborn older people who are in danger like my pops refuses to go above and beyond in washing his hands because he’s stubborn so I can imagine what dudes who aren’t as at risk from the corona are doing or not doing in terms of hygiene And then spreading it

I’ve always been a mini germaphobe and now wash my hands so many times a day I lose count. It’s not hard to wash your hands for 20 seconds at a time.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Bruh, we just gotta wait. Everybody gotta feel hurt before it sinks in. America is too individualistic for its own good. Protests should be for check cutting, not rushing to catch something not knowing if there will be long lasting effects. At this point if there was a zombie apocalypse, assume most people will act like the dummies in the movies and get everybody knocked off unnecessarily. Real life is disappointing.

alpo

Dade County carol city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carol city
Every time they extend the stay at home order I'm amazed at people's delusion. There was NEVER a world in which we were having a normal summer. People aren't grasping how our lives are going to change forever. Buckle up, stay safe & find a way to make the best of things until 2021.
:russ::russ::russ: You nikkas

JLova

Veteran
Daps
add in some people still won’t be overly cautious in washing their hands. You can prevent it by just being vigilante in that after you come back from a store.

Ironically a lot of stubborn older people who are in danger like my pops refuses to go above and beyond in washing his hands because he’s stubborn so I can imagine what dudes who aren’t as at risk from the corona are doing or not doing in terms of hygiene And then spreading it

I’ve always been a mini germaphobe and now wash my hands so many times a day I lose count. It’s not hard to wash your hands for 20 seconds at a time.

People be out all damn day come home and shove their hands in their mouths touching their eyes and shyt. A lot of folk just not hygienic. See the shyt everywhere. Don't even get involved with work potlucks or taste peoples lunches when they offer. I'm good.