Crushing Student Loan Debt Is Hurting Women the Most (Black Women With The Highest Burden)

Lweezy

Banned
Daps
Thread is already devolving into a "we hate Black women" thread.
But this is the result of being Black, essentially.
Underfunded school districts, parents who likely didn't go to college and are unaware of opportunity, private schools and incredibly high-tuition, predatory student lending, Black students taking longer to graduate than other races of students, Black students shying away from STEM fields due to poor mathematics education in primary and secondary school, and lack of camaraderie in their majors. All of these apply to Black women doubly, as thy attend college at higher-rates than Black men, and the misogyny in STEM is very real.
:camby:

Tombstone

The Villain
Daps
Reppin
College Park, GA
This is another big thing.
White and Asian students are more likely to have parents/mentors who attended college and can guide them through.
Black students are far less likely.

And outside of Biology, Nursing, and Psychology, most STEM fields are vast majority men, and even moreso White and East Asian men.
And they can also support them financially. When youre studying a STEM and also have to work to make it work. Its no joke at all.

And dont get me wrong in no way whatsoever am I bashing black women if any yall was aiming at my comments. Most of my homeboys got degrees that just dont help them or we just got bullshyt degrees because we wanted to chase those sports dreams and to say we graduated cuz we first in the family to do so.

Last edited:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I know a chick that went to a hbcu for 2 years left went back to state graduated there in accounting then decided they wanted to do hair. Now owe like 80k!! smh

You know a hair salon would have been a great idea before 80k of debt...it could work well but she is hampered on borrowing due to her debt levels. She should just do accounting for 3-5 years and pay most of that off and then do the salon. She will know more about business and do better after some experience anyway.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Most people flock to "soft majors." Most jobs dont require you have a "hard major."

Granted there are far more higher earning degrees than others but you can still earn because as mentioned in my first point, most jobs dont require a "hard degree."

Also, black students dont have the parental help that white students have which will explain why they have to take out more loans. Dont blame black women and their "soft degrees." Blame black women for not having parents that bothered to save for them. How often do we hear about the broke college student. Why is it expected for you to be a broke college student? What were your parents doing for the first 18 years of your life? Save for your education?

Also black people may want to consider public schools as they are cheaper and student locally so you dont have to get loans to pay for your room and board.

Any opportunity to shyt on black women.

This isn't a racial issue, it is a cultural issue that kids of all races are being told "just go to college and it will work out" and crushed by debt because:
- They didn't have a plan on a major
- Didn't research on a major
- Didn't realize debt loads would be so high
- Colleges are lowering standards to allow anyone because they are aware the money train is going to stop eventually..."Wanna major in Graphic Design? No experience in it? Sure, here is your admissions packet"

Do you just go to a car dealership, open house, or furniture store and just tell the salesperson, "I don't know what I want really, but I will trust you to make the plans for me and I will sign away. I won't read the interest rate or anything, it will just work out". If we were as diligent with college tuition vs other large-consumer purchases, we would be straight.

STEM or the Trades are the future, not liberal degrees that will only have you working at:
Starbucks
Applebee's
Red Lobster
Target

Finally, if you are going to college without a game plan and major BEFORE you apply, then you've already lost big time....

BlackDynamite310

All Star
Daps
You know a hair salon would have been a great idea before 80k of debt...it could work well but she is hampered on borrowing due to her debt levels. She should just do accounting for 3-5 years and pay most of that off and then do the salon. She will know more about business and do better after some experience anyway.
I totally agree. If she did the hair thing 4 years ago it would have been great but she had to finish school of GP which I totally understand. She is betting on herself with this one and just gonna have to make it do what it do.

EmpressKali

Banned
Daps
This isn't a racial issue, it is a cultural issue that kids of all races are being told "just go to college and it will work out" and crushed by debt because:
- They didn't have a plan on a major
- Didn't research on a major
- Didn't realize debt loads would be so high
- Colleges are lowering standards to allow anyone because they are aware the money train is going to stop eventually..."Wanna major in Graphic Design? No experience in it? Sure, here is your admissions packet"

Do you just go to a car dealership, open house, or furniture store and just tell the salesperson, "I don't know what I want really, but I will trust you to make the plans for me and I will sign away. I won't read the interest rate or anything, it will just work out". If we were as diligent with college tuition vs other large-consumer purchases, we would be straight.

STEM or the Trades are the future, not liberal degrees that will only have you working at:
Starbucks
Applebee's
Red Lobster
Target

Finally, if you are going to college without a game plan and major BEFORE you apply, then you've already lost big time....

Where did you read this?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Are you making this thread to state facts or.....

And in the 6th paragraph it states "The reports attribute to several factors..."
@mamba @NinoBrown

I am a hardcore STEM graduate but the article is talking about debt at graduation, not as a result of having a degree that earns a poor career. If this was there debt level comparison 5-10 years after graduation then yeah, I think majors is a big part of it but being debt levels at graduation it seems like something is going on.

Now it may indirectly be STEM related since more men do go into STEM than women for Blacks, though the gap is bigger at the Associate than Bachelor/Masters level (LINK). The reason it could indirectly be STEM related is that when people go to STEM they are more likely to go to a state college while liberal arts majors often go to high $$ private schools. This isn't always the case but in GA engineers go to GA Tech or NC&AT for HBCU or Penn State in PA or SUNY in NY etc.

Also since Black women have higher educational performance (well all women of all races do now) in HS, they may go to higher end private schools in more proportion that saddles them with debt earlier.

I have no idea if either of these are true, just a guess.

BYI @BrokePhiBroke , your new avy is nice

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I have $44k and that's mainly from attempting to get an MBA which I regret.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps

EmpressKali

Banned
Daps