The Last of the Outlaws
mma_e_faber_b2_576.jpg

"Vacating the featherweight title, you say?" :ohhh::whoo:

:heh: that's cruel.

-P-

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
Yea I said it last week that focing Aldo to drop the FW belt would be ridiculous. Esp since Penn didn't do it. Dana must be really confident in Aldo if he wants him to drop the title. At least wait and see how everything goes first before having his drop the title. Because who knows what will happen. Say he loses really bad against Pettis. You think interest would be high if he drops and challenges for the FW title again?

I'm not 100% sure what Aldo's plan in all of this is. Is he moving permanently up to 155, win or lose? Or is he going to drop back down to 145 if he loses to Pettis.

I can understand why the UFC wants him to vacate his belt. Aldo fights an average of twice per year, (assuming he wins the LW title and holds both belts) that would mean he defends each title around once a year. That doesn't make sense financially for the UFC. Plus, what if he gets injured? He's going to be holding up two divisions for an extended period of time.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
I'm not 100% sure what Aldo's plan in all of this is. Is he moving permanently up to 155, win or lose? Or is he going to drop back down to 145 if he loses to Pettis.

I can understand why the UFC wants him to vacate his belt. Aldo fights an average of twice per year, (assuming he wins the LW title and holds both belts) that would mean he defends each title around once a year. That doesn't make sense financially for the UFC. Plus, what if he gets injured? He's going to be holding up two divisions for an extended period of time.

If he wins the LW title, he vacates the 145lb belt. If he loses, he can still defend his FW title. Same thing BJ Penn did

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
If he wins the LW title, he vacates the 145lb belt. If he loses, he can still defend his FW title. Same thing BJ Penn did

That scenario makes the most sense for him, but [as of right now] it's looking like the UFC is not going to let him do it.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
and its for that very reason i am not taking reports of this fight seriously, ufc can never seem to pull the trigger on these dream fights (not that this is) I am guessing there is a part of them that would be cool if aldo wasnt the 145 champion, cant say i blame them dude is pretty boring to watch now.There is absolutely nothing to take away from his fights anymore

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
"I think what Aldo was worried about, is if Aldo moves up to 155 and vacates the title, he wants to be treated like a champion in this fight - which he would be," White said on FOX Sports Live. "All the things that he gets at 145 pounds as a champion he would receive, and I think that was part of the issue, and that was all worked out today."

If Aldo moves up to 155 pounds, and gives up his title, White predicted a scenario of Chad Mendes and Cub Swanson fighting for the vacant featherweight title.

"If Aldo lost at 155, he could move back down and challenge the new champion for that [145] belt," White said.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/6...eared-in-possible-jose-aldo-vs-anthony-pettis

MIAlien

#FactsOnly
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wade County
I guess Dana is trying to double dip and have the 145 title fight on the same card or another card around the same time. But wouldn't the draw for Aldo/Pettis be bigger if it was billed as champion vs. champion? What's so special about Pettis and 155 that Aldo would just drop his belt for? Pettis is not a GSP/Silva type name. I agree with the catchweight idea, unless Aldo is fully intent on moving up permanently, which doesn't sound like the case.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
yeah this thing is weird jus on the basis the ufc are actually wiling to let 2 ppl aldo handily beat battle for a vacated title.Way to devalue an already insignificant division

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Force your 6 time defending champion into a super fight with your 0 time defending champion brehs.

hazardous

All Star
Daps
Dana is a goof.

Pettis should get at least 2-3 defenses in before there are talks of a superfight. There are plenty of contenders at 155 to keep Pettis busy (Melendez, Grant, Khabib/RDA winner, Thomson)

Dana just seems so desperate for a superfight now that GSP retired, and Silva lost that he's willing to throw anything together.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Dana is a goof.

Pettis should get at least 2-3 defenses in before there are talks of a superfight. There are plenty of contenders at 155 to keep Pettis busy (Melendez, Grant, Khabib/RDA winner, Thomson)

Dana just seems so desperate for a superfight now that GSP retired, and Silva lost that he's willing to throw anything together.
this aint even a superfight and from a storyline and purest stand point it should be taking place at featherweight or not at all.By hook or crook aldo's body of work speaks for itself they could get it done when it was right now its whatever

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
Dana is a goof.

Melendez just had a title shot, Grant is injured, and Thomson just lost. The most logical fights for Pettis right now is Aldo or the winner of Khabib/RDA. I would do the Aldo fight and then have the winner of Khabib/RDA get the next title shot.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
this aint even a superfight and from a storyline and purest stand point it should be taking place at featherweight or not at all.By hook or crook aldo's body of work speaks for itself they could get it done when it was right now its whatever

It makes more sense for the fight to take place at LW.

And how is this not a superfight?