Dave Chappelle - Netflix Stand-Up (Official Thread)

Ms. Elaine

Spoiled Brat
Daps
Reppin
Avocado Toast
I tried to watch this...but it was a 'NO' for me. :huhldup:

I was really rooting for Dave and looking forward to this but :beli:. None of the jokes hit and it didn't grab my attention. Walked in and out the room and never once bothered to press "pause" or "rewind". I ended up turning off my TV about 10 minutes into the second episode.

It's always sad when people who were once great get :flabbynsick:

heart

Down By Law
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I watched the 2nd one earlier. He definitely seemed more relaxed in the 2nd one. Especially once he started smoking the cig. I like the first one better but both are better than pretty much all of the standups I have seen since his hiatus. I was worried he would suffer from the Eddie Murphy syndrome.

For years Eddie has told everyone he wants to get back in standup, but he has a fear that people wont find him funny anymore since his last big special was in '87. But the thing I took away from both specials is he still has it.

With dave, it's not about the money. I mean he walked away from over 50 million before, he never wanted to be the biggest comedy movie star. It's just all about the craft. And for him to be gone for over 10yrs and come back and get a 60million+ check shows there is still a strong audience for him.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Just finished the first, and the opening was really strong, but everything started getting slow at about twenty minutes in. Rape is not funny and all the jokes that revolved around it felt forced. He was always able to save the jokes by finishing out with an unrelated punchline though.

Haven't gotten the second one yet.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
The second special is funnier imo.

Dave is a tad rusty/flabby, but he's still got it. This isn't like Chris Tucker (who I heard had awful Netflix specials). In fact, I can't think of anyone else right now that's got funnier specials than the these two new Chappelle ones. Any recommendations? Keep in mind that my goats are Eddie Murphy and Chappelle. So if you aren't killing me with the impersonations and rawness (Eddie) or making me laugh and think (Chappelle), then it's :camby: for the most part.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Sorry Dave :mjcry:

Couldn't fukk with them , I only laughed like twice :francis:
It's definitely not the same anymore, but they were still funny to me.

You have to understand that Chappelle was in his comedic prime before he left. That's like Seinfeld/Larry David ending Seinfeld after like season 3 of the show, Martin not going through his run etc. It's going to be very hard to reach that peak he was on back then and once that is gone...it's gone. Chappelle is in his 40's now, rich and with a family living in a small town in Ohio. He is a different person.

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
where? what show?
In New Orleans. Chris is currently on his Blackout tour. Jeff Ross and Eric Andre opened. Then a 20 minute intermission. Then the lights went down and Chris Rock logo appeared but Chappelle came out and the crowd went nuts. Chappelle did a bit solo for about 20 minutes then Rock came onstage and they performed together the next hour and a half. It was awesome. Chappelle was making jokes on all the people mad at his Netflix special. Especially the white women feminists and he even called them out again saying their struggle ain't shyt to black people struggle much less black women struggle. White women and few white men in the crowd were quiet at that part. I was dying laughing and clapping. No fukks given. I wish I coulda had my phone to take pics but of course, you can't bring your phones in, Rock even joked saying "Bet you motherfukkas wish y'all had ya phones huh?!"

Our local papers covered it
Dave Chappelle surprise co-stars in Chris Rock's 1st night in New Orleans

Chris Rock's surprise duet with Dave Chappelle at New Orleans' Saenger: 'Y'all got a weird show'

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
The second special is funnier imo.

Dave is a tad rusty/flabby, but he's still got it. This isn't like Chris Tucker (who I heard had awful Netflix specials). In fact, I can't think of anyone else right now that's got funnier specials than the these two new Chappelle ones. Any recommendations? Keep in mind that my goats are Eddie Murphy and Chappelle. So if you aren't killing me with the impersonations and rawness (Eddie) or making me laugh and think (Chappelle), then it's :camby: for the most part.
Mike Epps wasn't bad in my opinion :ehh: