Dave Ramsey agrees Renting vs. Owning Is Fine, Credit Cards Are Trash

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Dave Ramsey is a dikk head

Credit cards are trash, but paying hundreds of dollars to sit up close and get info you can Google for free isn't? :comeon:

Dave Ramsey is an austerity preacher.... he makes people feel like they are better than other people for being cheap, then gasses them into giving him money for bullshyt. I hate him

Daps
Nah, fukk all that on the "no credit cards" shyt.
  • Travel/Hotel points
  • Cash Back
Pros of using credit cards (responsibly!) greatly outweigh the cons...
Right.

carrying a balance on a cc is about the dumbest thing you can do, however. Credit cards offer the worst borrowing terms this side of loan sharks.

Rhyse

Pro
Daps
I cant beat free points from credit cards. I have enough points from my chase card alone, I can fly anywhere in the world.
The same money I would use out of my checking acct to pay my regular bills, can be used to pay down my credit cards:yeshrug:

exactly. This year alone I’ve cashed on some of miles for a round trip Delta flight. Cashed in enough points on my credit union account to have them deposit $400 cash in my savings and other things. They can be a benefit if used properly.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can see why that might be good as a general rule bc most Americans really can’t control their spending. But if you can credit cards are free money. I charge EVERYTHING I can, pay off the balances every month and end up getting at least 2-3K back in cash every year (I don’t use points for plane tickets etc).

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What dave is saying on the renting is true. The goal is to be debt free put a high amount down on your house to eliminate PMI and or pay it off fast.

He also doesn't want folks to be house poor. Meaning owning a house and barely can pay the mortgage or barely can pay the taxes or can't afford basic maintenance or emergencies. I mean we all know folks who own houses who can't afford to get the water heater, furnish or air conditioner fixed once they go out.

As far as credit cards. MOST americans can't pay them off and pay interest every month. So it isn't smart to get a credit card if you can't pay the debt off in 30 days. Who cares about points when your ass is paying 50 to 150 plus dollars in interest a month (which most americans are doing with credit cards).

I myself am like these muslims....I DON'T BELIEVE IN PAYING INTEREST. So if I do use my credit card I pay the full amount off in a few days. Other than that I pay most things in cash (except for my personal home).

Oh and for poor people interest is one of the biggest things that erode their money. If you don't believe me go ask a poor person how much their interest paymemts are on their car, their credit card and their predatory loans (cash net USA and etc).

King Frost

Stay Frosty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
North Pole
I use debit card

works the exact same way

instead of spending to get points, why not just buy the fukking thing

:yeshrug:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Believe banks are lending money because they know you are going to be responsible.
:mjlol:

5% back, hotel rooms :mjlol:

I use credit cards but I know it’s a scam and that majority of people are not disciplined enough to be lent any amount of money.

All this. The great PBS Frontline broke this down in the 2004 documentary about the secret history of credit cards. Documentary told everything from the dude who helped make them available to everyone. All the way down how they increased interest rates, started to hand them out to kids and everyone and showed how the companies changed locations so that they could charge higher interest rates.

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
I'm surprised the CC issue is getting more replies
Set yourself up for success and save before you even touch your money

You dont have to completely ditch credit cards
I just started being at a place where I'm paying off at the end of the month

BUT

I'm still spending too much

I haven't carried cash for like 6 months and forgot my PIN # because I'd be using my CC

Again, paid it off...BUT SPEND TWO MUCH FROM NOV-DEC :krs:

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
Dave Ramsey is a dikk head

Credit cards are trash, but paying hundreds of dollars to sit up close and get info you can Google for free isn't? :comeon:

Dave Ramsey is an austerity preacher.... he makes people feel like they are better than other people for being cheap, then gasses them into giving him money for bullshyt. I hate him
:whoa:

I'm not promoting paying for shyt

I just watch him on YouTube and KIM

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
Like with anything else, moderation is key, same when using credit cards. Problem is that isn't the case with most people because they overspend themselves, that's where Dave Ramsey's position is coming from, however it doesn't apply to everyone. As long as you pay it off in full every month you're fine.

Credit is a tool that can be used successfully to save yourself money in the future when it comes to getting the lowest interest rates

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I'm surprised the CC issue is getting more replies

I just started being at a place where I'm paying off at the end of the month

BUT

I'm still spending too much

I haven't carried cash for like 6 months and forgot my PIN # because I'd be using my CC

Again, paid it off...BUT SPEND TWO MUCH FROM NOV-DEC :krs:

You are gonna spend too much with a debit card or a credit card. The CC isn't the problem here :yeshrug:

:whoa:

I'm not promoting paying for shyt

I just watch him on YouTube and KIM

I'm just saying dude is a hypocrite. He wants you to live frugally so you can spend all your disposable income on his books and seminars.

And his advice is often so extreme. Only pay cash for a car unless you're a millionaire. As if most cheap cars aren't pieces of shyt that will bankrupt you with repairs etc. or interest rates aren't low. He is like a religious fundamentalist with frugality. Not good