Degrees beside STEM that college nikkas can eat good from?

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:dwillhuh: For everyone saying finance, accounting, and nursing are those not STEM fields? Finance and accounting are math heavy and doesn’t nursing involve chemistry, biology, and anatomy.

Finance and Accounting are not STEM, they are business degrees. Accounting isn't heavy on math at all. The highest math most peopls go through is Calc 1. Finance is more math heavy when you get into modeling and the like but it is still nowhere close to the math many STEM majors have to take. Nursing is STEM because it involves medicine, which is an actual science.

I would consider quantitative finance - which is offered at most places as a graduate degree - to possibly be STEM. But traditionally finance and accounting are not as quant heavy as traditional STEM fields

Nursing, I wouldn't even put near that category. For one, you can become a nurse through a LPN or 2 year RN program that's offered at most community colleges. They only start recently putting an emphasis on four year BSN programs.

Please refer to my comment above. Just because it has a two year option, that doesn't preclude it from being in the STEM category.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Communication it depends which branch...

Graphic design is a joke. You get enough but some always to go cheap

I agree a business degree would be legit
:ehh:
I used to work at a UX company in Chicago. The graphics design people made so much fukking money. I hated myself for not taking a graphics design course. I could have been making 80K on that shyt alone. :wow:

Mass

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
forget "trying to eat" off your degree because you're going to chase something you hate or something you aren't good at.

Think about what you would be cool with doing for the rest of your life. Think about what you need financially to be comfortable. Find where they intersect and pursue that.

Accountants and Financial planners jump off buildings too :wow: Money is not the cure to happiness. Find something you can be passionate about doing and love doing and try to fall into that field :manny:
No.

Bart simpson

Served w/ no chill
Daps
Reppin
Springfield
I used to work at a UX company in Chicago. The graphics design people made so much fukking money. I hated myself for not taking a graphics design course. I could have been making 80K on that shyt alone. :wow:
If you know how to do graphic design probably just get internally hired
For slightly less or same amount...all you need is a portfolio
:yeshrug:

I'm getting a comm degree and I know how to do graphic design and got a nice portfolio and I haven't finished school yet
:myman:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
If you know how to do graphic design probably just get internally hired
For slightly less or same amount...all you need is a portfolio
:yeshrug:

I'm getting a comm degree and I know how to do graphic design and got a nice portfolio and I haven't finished school yet
:myman:
Breh, you can make a shyt ton on that shyt. Look in Chicago. Good job on the degree though :salute:

If you’re making less than 60K, you played yourself. :manny:

Malik1time

What you looking at?
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Im actually thinking making a change to computer science:jbhmm: the scary part is i would be the 1st person in my family that would have a computer science degree(family of health jobs) i really got no one to talk to give me the ins and outs of computer science:patrice:

invalid

Banned
Daps
Nursing is STEM because it involves medicine, which is an actual science.

Please refer to my comment above. Just because it has a two year option, that doesn't preclude it from being in the STEM category.

I disagree. You can't say that finance and accounting isn't STEM because it isn't math heavy (it's still math although not a quant focus and you have to take advance calc and advanced stats) but then say nursing solely because it's under the umbrella of medicine which is a science. Nursing is more of a social science and there is no emphasis on quantitative research which is a characteristic of the hard sciences. Additionally, nursing is not considered a part of the field of medicine as it does not involve making diagnosis. Doctors practice medicine. Nurses practice nursing. Finance and accounting not being STEM is solely for the fact that it's not quant heavy. Nursing is nowhere near to even be considered. A good field though where one can make money.

Last edited:

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I disagree. You can't say that finance and accounting isn't STEM because it isn't math heavy (it's still math although not a quant focus and you have to take advance calc and advanced stats) but then say nursing solely because it's under the umbrella of medicine which is a science. Nursing is more of a social science and there is no emphasis on quantitative research which is a characteristic of the hard sciences. Finance and accounting is not STEM in the same way that nursing isn't. What could be said is that these fields fall into a gray area and could be considered STEM adjacent.

Fair enough. I'm weary on even calling it that though, and this is coming from someone who has double majored in both Finance and Accounting. You don't have nearly the same science and math base as many STEM majors. One could not just have a Finance degree and decide to get a Masters in Engineering without having to take several lower level science and math classes, before even considering the major classes in their degree plan.