Denard Robinson: "I could beat Bolt in the 40"

FloorGeneral

I don't even know anymore...
Daps
Reppin
Packerland
Denard Robinson: I could beat Bolt in 40

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Denard Robinson is getting ready for Alabama on Sept. 1.

In the meantime, though, he has another target in mind.

Usain Bolt.

"I've watched him run, and I'm pretty sure I can beat him in a 40-yard dash," Robinson said at Michigan's media day on Sunday. "I'd get a better start, and I could take him.

"At 60 yards, I'd be in trouble, and at 100 meters, he'd be gone, but I could get him in a 40."

The idea for the race came from Devin Gardner, Robinson's backup and the Wolverines' newest weapon at wide receiver. Gardner was asked if the possibility existed of Robinson seeing some snaps at receiver with him at quarterback.

"Denard could do that in a heartbeat – he's the fastest man in the world," Gardner said. "I know what Usain Bolt did in the Olympics, and Denard probably couldn't beat him at 100 meters, but when it comes to football speed at 40 yards, I'd take Denard. He's that fast."

The "experiment" of playing Gardner at wide receiver took on a little more importance this week when the Wolverines' number-one receiver, Roy Roundtree, injured his knee in a freak accident.

"He had just run a route and was perfectly fine," receivers coach Jeff Hecklinski said. "He was walking back to the huddle and something happened."

The result was arthroscopic surgery for Roundtree on Friday, and an expected two-week recovery period. That puts Roundtree's availabilty for the Alabama game in jeopardy, but Gardner isn't worried about filling that role.

"Roy's going to be fine," he said. "I've seen him, and he's going to be OK. No one worry about Roy."

There's also a question mark hanging over another of Michigan's offensive stars. While running back Fitzgerald Touissant will return to practice on Monday, coach Brady Hoke isn't willing to say that he'll be allowed to play against the Crimson Tide. Touissant and defensive end Frank Clark were both suspended for the first week of fall practice due to offseason arrests.

"They will be allowed to practice on Monday," Hoke said. "The next set of decisions will be made when I decide to make them."

If Touissant doesn't play against Alabama, much of the running duties will fall on Thomas Rawls, who is more of a power runner than Touissant..

"This is Michigan, and when one person goes down, another one steps up," Rawlssaid. "I'm a Michigan running back, just like Fitz. That means I'm tough, I'm good and I'm ready to do the job. I might be more of a downhill runner than some of our other guys, but this is still Michigan. We step up."

Of course, when it comes to the Wolverines, the most dangerous runner is the man taking the snaps from center. Robinson enters the season with a chance to finish as the NCAA's career rushing leader at quarterback, but hasn't exactly been keeping track of his place on the list.

"Is that true? I had no idea until you just asked me that," he said in a media huddle Sunday. "I've never paid any attention to that. I just run the ball when I need to run it and throw it when we need to do that. I'm just trying to make plays to help us win games, I'm not worried about the numbers."

He does know one number, though – 9.63.

That was Bolt's gold-medal time in the 100-meters in London.

And now Robinson wants a part of him.

Also, saw this tweet in response to this:

SolidVerbal: And pass the baton to the wrong country. :laff:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
He's selling himself short. I'm pretty sure denard could run a 9.60 100m. I mean, he runs in football gear; thats like running underwater. He would embarass bolt.

I respect his modesty. Denard would win the 100m, 200m, shotput, discus, and long jump. Ann Arbor > Kingston, and michigans facilities alone would get him five golds...ask michael phelps :smugfavre:

FloorGeneral

I don't even know anymore...
Daps
Reppin
Packerland
He's selling himself short. I'm pretty sure denard could run a 9.60 100m. I mean, he runs in football gear; thats like running underwater. He would embarass bolt.

I respect his modesty. Denard would win the 100m, 200m, shotput, discus, and long jump. Ann Arbor > Kingston, and michigans facilities alone would get him five golds...ask michael phelps :smugfavre:

See, you went a little overboard with the shot put & discus. If he participated in those events, the spectators would have to be on high alert, lest they suddenly find an errant throw flying towards them in the stands.

posterchild336

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:rudy::wtf:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
See, you went a little overboard with the shot put & discus. If he participated in those events, the spectators would have to be on high alert, lest they suddenly find an errant throw flying towards them in the stands.

Running backward, wrong foot, deep pass, flawless accuracy

GOLD

Last edited by a moderator:

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
:laugh:

Bolt's 40 is around the 4.2 - 4.3 range and that's WITH having to react to the start sound.

If he ran the 40 like they do at the NFL combine he'd probably hit a 4.0 or 4.1, nikkas don't understand how fast he really is. During his 9.58, he hit 27mph, the muthafukka would have been speeding in a school zone.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Not in a million years.
Nah, he could tomorrow

Bolt isn't a quick starter and it's a different race than the 100 meters. It's why you don't see Bolt competing during the indoor season in the 60 meters. Starts are everything in the shorter than 100 meter distances.

It's possible.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Nah, he could tomorrow

Bolt isn't a quick starter and it's a different race than the 100 meters. It's why you don't see Bolt competing during the indoor season in the 60 meters. Starts are everything in the shorter than 100 meter distances.

It's possible.

I don't think it is, how would they run the race? If they both had to react to the sound of a horn there's no way he's beating Bolt.

Reaction time is not factored into NFL 40 times, because the clock starts when they start running.