Did Chris Brown Lower His Prestige By Stepping More In The Hip Hop Scene?

The Order 1886

KORRA KORRA AKA TOP LAD
Daps
I was just watching his 2010 Michael Jackson Tribute and it was a CRAZY special moment, dude is disgustingly talented

Now i see him on HOT97 basically saying Rihanna dating Leo is major step above him and talking about petty rapper beef between Tyga (discount Big Sean) and Drake. Now that i think about it his prestige is permanently diluted most likely cuz of the domestic violence thing but him doing this:

Screen-Shot-2014-07-10-at-11.22.41-AM.jpg

doesn't really help, does it?

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Dude went from Multiplatinum before Rihanna shyt to 3-400k after.
He had to do something and it worked, dude is still relevant dropping big hits and turning up.

Another thing which is hard is going from teenage R&B star to a grown star which he's accomplished, a lot of people fail during that transition. So he's obviously doing something right. And since he's got talent he can switch back when he feels like it.

Daps
He can't musically compete with the likes of Frank Ocean, Miguel, or The Weeknd. Young guys in his age bracket with superior musical talents :yeshrug:

What choice did he have to become more urban?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
He can't musically compete with the likes of Frank Ocean, Miguel, or The Weeknd. Young guys in his age bracket with superior musical talents :yeshrug:

Frank O is so overrated on here, dude doesn't get mentioned off the internet...he's a good songwriter and that's where he should stay
CB never made the type of music Miguel does, Miguel is definitely a more mature artist and more classically soul
The Weeknd has limited subject matter as well and is an acquired taste

That said, yep, Chris is not where he could've been, but even tho he's not the pop star he could've been, he's placed himself in the a-list of the "urban" artist hierarchy. I still think he could ascend further, but at this point, he's in his own way.

Daps
Frank O is so overrated on here, dude doesn't get mentioned off the internet...he's a good songwriter and that's where he should stay
CB never made the type of music Miguel does, Miguel is definitely a more mature artist and more classically soul
The Weeknd has limited subject matter as well and is an acquired taste

That said, yep, Chris is not where he could've been, but even tho he's not the pop star he could've been, he's placed himself in the a-list of the "urban" artist hierarchy. I still think he could ascend further, but at this point, he's in his own way.

:aicmon: That's not even something you can prove. Even if you feel he's overrated, CB has yet to make a better album than Channel Orange or Nostalgia Ultra

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
He fukked up by not doing R&B.

he's doing songs with Tyga called "bytches and Marijuana"

Really?

Fan of a Fan had legit R&B on there...but he also had dope ass writers.

When you hear him rap, its on some SUPER average swag shyt...and when you hear him sing its just as explicit. No sort of talent. Dude currently makes Trey Songz sound PG-13

Then I don't understand this gang shyt either :snoop:

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת

:what:

Frank Oceans' talent is song writing, Miguel isn't in CB's lane and The Weeknd is a gimmick who owes a great deal of his popularity to his Drake affiliation.

Piru Chris hasn't reached his career peak yet because he's a genuine talent. his issue is the fact that he needs to get out of the spot light for a while to remove himself from so much negative publicity. the only person who can hurt his career now is himself.

Lord Mecca

Eyes May Shine
Daps

:dahell:

Even if that were the case in R&B, you're better off being top 5 there then be not mentioned at all in in the bottomless pit of hip-hop.

He can't compete with Frank Ocean, Miguel or The Weeknd :bryan: but he figured he's better off competing with the likes of Jay-Z, Drake, Lil' Wayne?

:camby:we gotta stop the bullshyt brehs

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Breeze my nikka but I hate urban r&b and the rap singing (singing hip hop lyrics is so trash)

His Older material is goat doe.

And I got ffaith be can bounce back

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
:aicmon: That's not even something you can prove. Even if you feel he's overrated, CB has yet to make a better album than Channel Orange or Nostalgia Ultra
look, i go off my broad range of friends and my brother's circle (dude been a dj for over 20 years), i havent heard anyone mention FO since his album dropped, which was weak IMO, his mixtape was much better, in contrast, i hear them/people talk about miguel all the time, i hear miguel songs at the clubs/lounges i go to and on the radio. i don't hear anything from FO while being out and about

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
:what:

Frank Oceans' talent is song writing, Miguel isn't in CB's lane and The Weeknd is a gimmick who owes a great deal of his popularity to his Drake affiliation.

Piru Chris hasn't reached his career peak yet because he's a genuine talent. his issue is the fact that he needs to get out of the spot light for a while to remove himself from so much negative publicity. the only person who can hurt his career now is himself.
yep, that's why i say he's in his own way. he needs to get out LA for a minute, mature, and take time to make music, not continue to flood the market. i keep thinking about childish gambino and kauai and ye going to paris, breezy needs one of those "get in the zone" vacations

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
nikkas only love frank ocean on message boards and social media. Nowhere else. Dude is super overrated,but thats a whole other thread.

bhris browns issue is that he was a mega pop star before the rhianna thing( that she started but since shes a women,shes the victim) but after that went down no one on that level could associate with him and not get backlash....except for the hood and hip hop scene. He was pretty much an outcast everywhere else add in being rich and young in LA with your been set banging cousins and you have the bhris brown you see today. He needs to link up with some heavyweight writers and try to get back in that lane and start making stuff like forever and beautiful people again and throw Tyga in the bushes while hes at it.