Differences between a role player, star, and superstar

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I think it was Doug Collins who coined and introduced the term"role player" into popular culture.

Term is overused, and goes against the team concept. On any given play depending on matchups, most players on the court will be asked to do different things. Having that balance, and the ability to get different things from multiple players is what makes teams hard to beat. That Diana Ross & The Supremes shyt makes your team easy to defend against.

B1G_controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I think it was Doug Collins who coined and introduced the term"role player" into popular culture.

Term is overused, and goes against the team concept. On any given play depending on matchups, most players on the court will be asked to do different things. Having that balance, and the ability to get different things from multiple players is what makes teams hard to beat. That Diana Ross & The Supremes shyt makes your team easy to defend against.

in today's NBA, versatility goes a long way, but accepting roles on offense iseparates great playoff teams & ones that flame out quickly

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I gave criteria, I didn't say all had to be met, but some of them had to be met to be considered a star/superstar

Dennis Rodman wasn't a star or superstar
You didn't say only "some" had to be met either, and proceeded to give example that you perfectly for your claim.

Don't move your own goalposts.

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s all about consistency and situational effectiveness. Superstars can do it 90% of the games they play in, regardless of the competition, location or juncture of the game.

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps

What about The Four Tops? Nobody is stopping Levi Stubbs. :troll:

B1G_controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Which is why your premise is flawed like I said. You made sweeping general criteria without regard for position and skillset.

No, it's common sense

A superstar big man can have the offense run through him at a high level, and is consistent = Shaq

A role player is fed baskets = DeAndre Jordan