Dividend investing.....let's talk about it!

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I also have verizon shares for years myself. same reason. 4-5% dividend annually.

Dividends are a great defensive play IMO. My friend has told me that he may put money into a Bond CD...basically loaning the government money but you get a 7.5% return. I may do that also so I don't lose my money too..

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Dividends are a great defensive play IMO. My friend has told me that he may put money into a Bond CD...basically loaning the government money but you get a 7.5% return. I may do that also so I don't lose my money too..

the gov't is paying 7.5% annual returns on bonds???? I did not know this.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
AT&T currently pays over 8% dividend, which is very high. and their stock price doesn't fluctuate much.
If you're seeking a quarterly payment that's fine but if you want to make more money T is a mediocre investment.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
the gov't is paying 7.5% annual returns on bonds???? I did not know this.

7.12% my bad.

Individual - Buying Series I Savings Bonds

Interest is two components:
1) Fixed component - its been 0% for a while now
2) SemiAnnual Inflation Rate - it was set at 3.56% (semi annual payout so basically a 7.12% annual return) in Nov 2021

You can invest $10K per Social security number into this - and if you do that in Dec. you can do it again right away
in Jan. You can also add up to 5K each from a tax refund in April (these are paper bonds instead of digital)

You gotta hold it 1 year min to get the interest portion.
If you cash if before 5 years they take back the last three months of interest prior to cashing it.

It's state tax free interest when you cash them in

The rate will adjust again in may 2022 but any money invested nov-april will get six months on the current rate then
six months on the new rate.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
If you're seeking a quarterly payment that's fine but if you want to make more money T is a mediocre investment.
They're on the verge of a massive retirement wave and not doing a good job of hiring to offset it. They're going to start slipping in the next 5 years.

Daps
For those of you in on NUSI. Nationwide introduced 3 other ETFs similar to it. NSPI (s&p500), NDJI (Dow) and, NTKI (R2k). I bought one share of each just to see how they do for a few months